heater

Maineah

OK my latest hair brained scheme, hot water motor home heater. I don’t know about the rest of you but I find it next to impossible to sleep through the gas heater it works great but it sure is noisy. So here is the plan use the hot water heater, biggest stumbling block so far is the pump so I had thought about thermal siphon meaning that the exchanger would have to be higher then the heater. I would use a heater matrix from a car or truck with two 5” computer fans they would draw around ¾ of an amp between them. I have been having a hard time finding a pump for less then $200 I would prefer the pump because I could put the heater where ever I wanted it. I would like to keep the current draw at about 50% less then the propane heater only because I think with its huge fan it is an energy hog. I have played with heat output from a 1000 watt electric heater and at room temp its heat output is about 100 degrees well with in the heat of the hot water heater. Well have I truly lost it or do you think it will work? Either way I will have to use propane so that’s a wash. Any ideals or suggestions about cheap closed loop pumps etc including get a life or some thing constructive would be appreciated.

Water or steam heat would be awesome!

My favorite heater is my oil filled radiator, that I take camping, when I have hookups. That and my nice, warm, double sleeping bag. The hard part is crawling out of bed to make a cup-a-joe. Which is always nice to cozy up to. ^_^

Tudy

84 Dolphin "Cricket"

Yeah I live in Maine and go often where there is no power and some how the generator is over kill so electric is out. I tried a catalytic heater they work great but ever time I have used them even vented I ended up with a smashing head ache even the Mr Buddy type that say they are OK even in a tent. In May I go to Canada and it's not unusual to get snowed on so heat is a good thing. The propane camper heaters do a really good job but I think I could sleep better in a subway so that is the ideal behind the hot water heater the exhaust is all ready out side of the camper and does not require a huge fan to expel the fumes. Case in point the truck heater does a fine job so why not use the same ideal to heat the camper? When I have power a 1000 watt heater is all I need unless it's in the teens outside then I have to go to 1500 watts. I think I am going to built a proto type using house hold tap water and see how it does.

if its the co2 that gives you a headache mebe a propane boat cabin heater like this one would work:

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/9/9/7/2/1997238_15.jpg

it has a small chimney to vent the co2 out so you can keep all your hatches closed. you can pick up a working used unit from 150 on up on ebay. I had one on the boat and it was super cozy. I actually have a wood burning stove installed in my toyota motorhome as well as my catalytic heater, it looks something like this one:

http://www.go2marine.com/go2_structure/2/0/0/0/20009F-p.jpg

if its the co2 that gives you a headache mebe a propane boat cabin heater like this one would work:

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/9/9/7/2/1997238_15.jpg

it has a small chimney to vent the co2 out so you can keep all your hatches closed. you can pick up a working used unit from 150 on up on ebay. I had one on the boat and it was super cozy. I actually have a wood burning stove installed in my toyota motorhome as well as my catalytic heater, it looks something like this one:

http://www.go2marine.com/go2_structure/2/0/0/0/20009F-p.jpg

Yes I have seen them nice brass one big bucks new I buy all kinds of stuff at the boat parts stores cause they are pretty weather proof. I tried to find a place in the MH for one and there was just not enough room to mount it any where that it would not be in the way and I was not real enthusiastic about putting another hole in the roof but thanks for suggesting it. I wrote to one of the pump people about a small pump that they had does about 1 gpm but I was not sure how it would like 100+ degree water so I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Wow! A woodburning stove in your Toyota? How's that working for ya? I never thought of that.

Tudy

84 Dolphin "Cricket"