I agree with you Ctgriffi. I wouldn't recommend one at the prices these have been selling for recently; especially if you have no mechanical, carpentry, plumbing, and electrical skills. I bought mine cheap going in knowing it would be an opportunity to use skills I've developed over many years and enjoy. Best to enjoy (or learn to enjoy) the mechanics involved in keeping these machines running and plan on using tools often. I personally am under the hood after every trip over 100 miles checking my 22re. I bought it knowing I would be the mechanic solving the problems. I did have to have mine towed. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, hamkid said:

Well I would have finished everything myself except I had to leave the place I was working on it at. Everything was not finished and I had to leave it with a mechanic which is turning out to be horrible!

Yeah, wasn't try to give any crap... you've got the can-do attitude and ability, asking all the right questions. Just making a general observation about life with an old RV. I'll be quiet now and let you get on with the thread! :)

It's all good everyone. I still give the OP Spungo great credit for this thread "the greatest thread of all time!". I still go back to the beginning and read his story on occasions. Makes we want to tear out my A43D and overhaul it on my kitchen table!

Shortly thereafter, it started slipping out of 3rd. The worst part is that it happened while listening to Pink Floyd's Echoes, one of the greatest works in history. How utterly uncool.

We pulled over and spent the night with about 100 loud cows (which was pretty fun, really) and limped about 650 miles home

meddle was and is my favorite album. had it on 8 track.dosent get playtime on the radio

• 1 year later...

Ok just read the whole thing bottom line no matter what you do will prevent an overhaul. New fluid on a hard worked trans with issue you'll be walking with in a week. The new fluid is highly detergent and most likely take the clutch's out. They are actually good old transmissions. If you could drain the converter that will only make it worse with the new fluid. I worked for a transmission shop we actually saved drain oil from transmissions that was clean looking. After trying to explain to the customer the hazard of using new fluid in one that had brown oil we when ahead and drain it and put the oil we saved in it instead of new. It bought them more time. 

Pretty sure this is the part that's cracked.

33119-22021 - Toyota Parts Deal

Unfortunately I don't think they are going to really have it in stock. It's been discontinued and most places show that. Maybe you can have your old one welded. Take it off first and take it in somewhere. My tranny was slipping slightly when I got my Sunrader almost 20 years ago. Changed the fluid, lots of sparkly stuff in the pan, put in new and used Lucas transmission fix. Have changed the fluid maybe 2 more times since then but still always use the Lucas. Still using the same old tranny. 

Might not fix yours but it might give you more time. 

Linda S

7 hours ago, Maineah said:

Ok just read the whole thing bottom line no matter what you do will prevent an overhaul. New fluid on a hard worked trans with issue you'll be walking with in a week. The new fluid is highly detergent and most likely take the clutch's out. They are actually good old transmissions. If you could drain the converter that will only make it worse with the new fluid. I worked for a transmission shop we actually saved drain oil from transmissions that was clean looking. After trying to explain to the customer the hazard of using new fluid in one that had brown oil we when ahead and drain it and put the oil we saved in it instead of new. It bought them more time. 

Sorry, trying to understand what you mean by "no matter what you do will prevent an overhaul"... 

6 hours ago, linda s said:

Pretty sure this is the part that's cracked.

33119-22021 - Toyota Parts Deal

Unfortunately I don't think they are going to really have it in stock. It's been discontinued and most places show that. Maybe you can have your old one welded. Take it off first and take it in somewhere. My tranny was slipping slightly when I got my Sunrader almost 20 years ago. Changed the fluid, lots of sparkly stuff in the pan, put in new and used Lucas transmission fix. Have changed the fluid maybe 2 more times since then but still always use the Lucas. Still using the same old tranny. 

Might not fix yours but it might give you more time. 

Linda S

I think you are right. Guess I can try ordering it and see what happens.

As far as my transmission goes, my plan was to drop it using a transmission jack, figure out where the leak happened (front pump seal? something else?), replace that, put it back up, flush the fluid and hope for the best. Glad to hear that "lots of sparkly stuff in the pan" doesn't mean dead transmission right away and perhaps it can be saved without doing any major overhaul as the first post in this thread. 

If your going to remove the transmission already. Then remove and inspect everything you can just unbolt and clean them. Pump, oil pan, OD solenoid and such like. Any crud you clean out can only extend its life. The Toyota transmission filter looks like it's made from a screen door

A rebuild pump is $75-$100. 

On 3/30/2023 at 10:17 PM, vert2021 said:

Sorry, trying to understand what you mean by "no matter what you do will prevent an overhaul"... 

If the fluid is nasty and dark it's just a matter of time putting new fluid in most likely will finish it off. If the pump seal is leaking the pump bushing probably is on it's way out. They are good little transmissions but in a motor home they are over worked.

3 hours ago, Scott iv said:

Wonder how common it is for the support bracket in your picture to crack. 

Not sure, I was actually wondering if that crack had anything to do with the initial problem to begin with i.e. ATF dumping from the front of the transmission. 

Currently reading up on how to drop the transmission.  I ordered a transmission jack adapter but reading things like "it's easier to just pull the whole engine and transmission through the engine bay than from the bottom" is not too encouraging. I work in my driveway and definitely not set up for that kind of a DIY project. If anyone can share best practices on getting it done please let me know. 

FWIW, IF you want remove the transmission from the bottom, jack the truck as high as possible. There are 2 bolts on the top of the transmission that are a major MPIA. You may need a couple of extensions and a couple of u-joints.

15 hours ago, WME said:

FWIW, IF you want remove the transmission from the bottom, jack the truck as high as possible. There are 2 bolts on the top of the transmission that are a major MPIA. You may need a couple of extensions and a couple of u-joints.

I have standard 3 ton floor jacks and can jack the truck up so they are at their highest safe setting (17") sitting under the frame rails.  Is that enough or are you saying I need to increase that height further still, for example by placing a wide 1.5" board, or even higher?

needs to be higher than the vertical dimension of the bell housing so it can come out from under the truck

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/2/2023 at 10:44 AM, extech said:

needs to be higher than the vertical dimension of the bell housing so it can come out from under the truck

Quick update and a question.  I got the transmission fixed in my driveway. It was the front seal that blew out. Replaced it and did several fluid changes, seems to be driving and shifting great.

I do have a leak and was hoping someone could help me.  I posted it in this thread but then figured the A43D gurus here could chime in.  Does anyone know how to fix this leak from the shift lever linkage circled in red in the picture below?

shift leak.jpg

There’s a seal behind the linkage. It can be a PITA to get out, but easy to install. 

3 hours ago, a2ndopinion said:

There’s a seal behind the linkage. It can be a PITA to get out, but easy to install. 

Good to know! Any tips on how to remove/replace and what seal I would need?  I can't find it on any of the schematics I've seen.

Edited by vert2021

It is a small round seal behind the linkage, I have removed them with a small pointed screw screwed into the metal part of the seal and plyers. Getting it back in is easy with a deep socket.

1 minute ago, Maineah said:

It is a small round seal behind the linkage, I have removed them with a small pointed screw screwed into the metal part of the seal and plyers. Getting it back in is easy with a deep socket.

Thank you! I think I found it on NAPA's site: "Automatic Transmission Seal, Manual Valve Lever Shaft - Metal Clad. Part number ATP 15234".

When you remove it, will the ATF continue to leak out until the new seal is installed?

21 minutes ago, vert2021 said:

When you remove it, will the ATF continue to leak out until the new seal is installed?

No, the resting fluid level is below that. 

Edited by a2ndopinion

2 hours ago, linda s said:

Drain the trannie before you start the work. Replacing the fluid needs to be occasionally anyway

Linda S

Sounds good, though the ATF has been changed 3-4 times in the past couple of months so it's definitely fresh!

Just realized that it's also slowly leaking from the passenger side of the transmission lever behind the neutral switch. It appears that I need the same part number seal so I'm going to replace both seals at the same time. 

Edited by vert2021

Just realized you have two threads going on your tranny. I found a diagram for you on the other thread.  Good luck wrenching!

On 9/19/2023 at 12:38 AM, IdahoDoug said:

Just realized you have two threads going on your tranny. I found a diagram for you on the other thread.  Good luck wrenching!

Thank you. I replaced both seals and posted a DIY in my original thread if anyone's having the same seal leaks. Link is higher up in this thread.