Renault LeSharo motorhome

84TOYRV

I know that they had a bad rep. Probably for a good reason. :thumbdown:

I remember seeing one, quite a few years ago, for sale. I had no money to buy it. I thought they looked cool and were very aerodynamic. It's too bad that they didn't have what it takes.

Now, I'm I glad I waited. :ThumbUp:

Tudy

84 Dolphin " Cricket "

I always liked the look of those as well as the GMC

http://gallery.mac.com/freeted#100050

There is one just like that in a "U" store it lot near my work has not moved in 2 years looks nice, green and white glad I don't have to put gas in it!

There is one just like that in a "U" store it lot near my work has not moved in 2 years looks nice, green and white glad I don't have to put gas in it!

That was the deal sealer for me on the Toyota fuel efficiency and reliability.

There really is not another vehicle that measures up to the Toyota for under $50,000 :omg:

You need to speak to my friend Gayle. She inherited a Lasharo. She decided to drive cross country to visit me. Every few miles they blew tires, engine gaskets and what not. It was the trip from oooo.

I understand that the company that does Chrysler V6 conversions makes them reliable. http://www.lesharo.com/

I don't like their floor plans anyway. Why bother when a Toyota is much better?

A few years before I found my Toyota I almost purchased a Lasharo, the inside was mint, the seats had plastic over them. I was going to go with the Lesharo engine conversion, they used to use the Buick 3800 engine/trans, but at the time they just switched over to the Chrysler V6. I was not a fan of the Chrysler engine and decided to pass on it.

After I got my Toyota, I did see a RV that looked just like the Lasharo but was

about 1.5 times larger and had a Ford 351 V8.

Dennis...

You need to speak to my friend Gayle. She inherited a Lasharo. She decided to drive cross country to visit me. Every few miles they blew tires, engine gaskets and what not. It was the trip from oooo.

I understand that the company that does Chrysler V6 conversions makes them reliable.

I don't like their floor plans anyway. Why bother when a Toyota is much better?

Thanx for the LeSharo website. It was interesting. I don't remember alot about the floor plan. I'm sure it wasn't as roomy as my Toyhome. I do remember that you had to "roll out" the shower. I would think that the 3800 Buick engine conversion would be an improvment. Chrysler, not so tried and true, IMHO.

Tudy

84 Dolphin "Cricket"

• 3 weeks later...

Right before I bought my Sunrader, I test drove a LeSharo. The picture on the internet looked great. It was at a RV dealership on a consignment deal from a private seller, It was the 4 cylinder Renault Turbo Diesel. It had rust through holes that didn't show in the pictures, the interior was OK but almost impossible to get past the table to sit in the dining area. The pullout shower was a big turnoff. The test drive was OK except for the engine vibration that felt like a cheap massage bed (I heard). Upon returning to the parking lot I parked beside the spot where the dealer had been letting it idle to warm up prior to my getting there to see it. There were two huge puddles on the ground, one oil and the other diesel fuel. I walked away very quickly.

That said, I would trade my Sunrader even up for a nice GMC motorhome, to heck with gas mileage.

Allen

• 2 months later...

Another LeSharo Article:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag/lesharo/

Right before I bought my Sunrader, I test drove a LeSharo. The picture on the internet looked great. It was at a RV dealership on a consignment deal from a private seller, It was the 4 cylinder Renault Turbo Diesel. It had rust through holes that didn't show in the pictures, the interior was OK but almost impossible to get past the table to sit in the dining area. The pullout shower was a big turnoff. The test drive was OK except for the engine vibration that felt like a cheap massage bed (I heard). Upon returning to the parking lot I parked beside the spot where the dealer had been letting it idle to warm up prior to my getting there to see it. There were two huge puddles on the ground, one oil and the other diesel fuel. I walked away very quickly.

That said, I would trade my Sunrader even up for a nice GMC motorhome, to heck with gas mileage.

Allen

Back in the 80’s when I worked for a huge transmission shop we did about any thing that had a transmission in it and the local MH dealer sent us a LeSharo with a bad transmission (warranty). So we had a MH and a new transmission in a box. After I got it installed (no easy feat) it did exactly the same thing the old one did! There was a light on the dash that was a warning light for the transmission (it had a control box, electronic shift) that was lit so after checking it out it turned out to be a bad fuse! So the French sent them a transmission to repair a bad fuse. Strangely when some thing went wrong the controller defaulted to top gear so even if the transmission was not bad by the time you got it to where you were going it was cooked any way from starting in top gear from a stand still!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There is still one sitting at a storage lot in Portland Maine been there for at least 5 years not has not moved an inch it's green and white probably 70's original great big collectors item. No sign, if any one is interested I could stop and ask.