Help Finding Location of Signal Flasher on 1978 High-Lux Sunrader Truck

yoyoman

Hi, I followed the repair manual and removed the instrument panel but cannot find my turn signal flasher. 1979 Sunrader but the truck is a 1978. I looked near the fuse panel, under the radio area from beneath, under the hood. The flasher I got from Advance Auto Parts is a roundish cylinder shaped like a stack of 25 quarters with two metal connectors sticking out from one end perpendicularly oriented to one another.

Would anyone be able to give advice to help me replace my flasher? If not, how should I begin to find it? Thanks ever so much for any tips or help! :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

First, does it work at all? Either side? If it does, turn the one on that does work and "listen" for it. If it doesn't, I think it may be under the right side kick panel .

Hi, I followed the repair manual and removed the instrument panel but cannot find my turn signal flasher. 1979 Sunrader but the truck is a 1978. I looked near the fuse panel, under the radio area from beneath, under the hood. The flasher I got from Advance Auto Parts is a roundish cylinder shaped like a stack of 25 quarters with two metal connectors sticking out from one end perpendicularly oriented to one another.

Would anyone be able to give advice to help me replace my flasher? If not, how should I begin to find it? Thanks ever so much for any tips or help! :rolleyes:

5Toyota ifi rember ithink it maybe up over the heaterhayns manual says unit is bolted too the dash it does not look those big squre box not like after market round one i ownd 1977 wagen 1978 2wd pu and now 1978 moter home i never replaced flasher does yours have 4 way knob on dash another wierd toyota thing turn sig do not work but on 4 way work ok not flasher pull 4 way flasher on of 34 times see if turn work 178 pu camper too guy i got camper from no toyoty ex no turn sig pump 4 way turn signal shoud start working toyota mech told me all go too 4way swit ch seems 4 way switch not used much cruds up and causes aproblem i am ded ser ios ask if anyone else herd of this 5 toyota

5Toyota ifi rember ithink it maybe up over the heaterhayns manual says unit is bolted too the dash it does not look those big squre box not like after market round one i ownd 1977 wagen 1978 2wd pu and now 1978 moter home i never replaced flasher does yours have 4 way knob on dash another wierd toyota thing turn sig do not work but on 4 way work ok not flasher pull 4 way flasher on of 34 times see if turn work 178 pu camper too guy i got camper from no toyoty ex no turn sig pump 4 way turn signal shoud start working toyota mech told me all go too 4way swit ch seems 4 way switch not used much cruds up and causes aproblem i am ded ser ios ask if anyone else herd of this 5 toyota

Did you find it???

5Toyota mentioned about 4 ways not working.I had this same problem with the 4 ways.I squirted WD40 in the switch and after 5-6 times they started to work (dirty switch)

As a matter of fact, I went around a squirted WD40 in everything, locks, hinges,doors, Solved a lot of problems with a truck that had been sitting for most of its life.

I was looking in the book last night. (full 1400 page service manual for 88 model download at the Yahoo Group)

It should be behind the drivers side floor kick panel. The original one does NOT look like the one you bought.

waiter said

"As a matter of fact, I went around a squirted WD40 in everything, locks, hinges,doors, Solved a lot of problems with a truck that had been sitting for most of its life. "

I am thinking about a nice hot tub with WD 40 in it might cure my aching back?

Seriously though, I have hit locks, hinges, ect with "Lock-ese" liquid graphite in a squirt can, on some stuff I go back with moly "Never seeze" (Silver assembly lube) diluted with WD 40. After cleaning up old corroded 12 volt light sockets and battery terminals I put a film of that and it seems to conduct well and stay uncorroded longer.

I prefer Kopr-Kote, if for no other reason that it doesn't seem to get all over your clothes and skin like Never-Seez! It's amazing how far a little Never-Seez goes!!!

For electrical connections, I use a dielectric grease.

For undoing corroded fasteners, I've yet to find anything to beat PB Blaster. A whole different league from WD40 (which works well as a 'water displacer'). Hats off to WD40 for making people think it's anything other than that. :rolleyes:

5toyta: on the 1978 type it is the 4 way flasher that causes the turn signal not too work if no turn signal. pull 4way 3 or 4 times then turn signal will usually work. According to Haines manual 1978 truck the flasher is a large square block mounted up under the dashboard. it does not look like the after market one. recommended u get a Haines truck manual 1978.

yoyo man you did say 1978 right i also have 19884wd pu but the 80s are alot diff if you have a1978 if you can find a hanyes manuel for trucks that is what i use on my 1978 moter home ihad a 1978 2wd truck see my camper on my pro file