What's your rig and where's it at?

desertrat

3 hours ago, linda s said:

It is beautiful and that is a rare floor plan and one of my favorites. 

Linda S

Thank you! I have yet to see another Dolphin with the same floor plan but I wonder if anyone in this forum has one 

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

"the trash panda" OR

86 dolphin 4 speed auto here... Just picked up in the pnw several weeks ago and will be living in it full time. Already finding this forum to be a huge gem. Thanks so much to everyone in advance, yalls have already been a massive help. Lots of repairs and updates to come. Currently in OR, but will be cycling between OR-CA-OK-MN.  Be well, much love!

IMG_20201222_221837_111.jpg

1986 Sun-Land Express with the 22RE with 78,000 mi on it. Picked it up a few months ago just south of Gary and drove her all the way back to New Orleans. Right now I'm working on the overhead cab, fixing all the water damage and replacing the insulation. swapped out the exhaust manifold, pugs and wires, and really need to replace the breaks/fluid, but I'm having one hell of a time getting the rear lugs off.  Its a solid aluminum frame and looks pretty nice on the inside minus the visible water damage in the shithouse. 

Still needs new water/gas lines run and the airbags in the rear before I hit the road for a little wile. Work has been slow moving because of the weather and lack of funds. hope to at least head to the desert for a little wile before I can finish with everything. 

yotahome.JPG

Edited by MorboTheDMVclerk-DestroyerofDays

16 minutes ago, MorboTheDMVclerk-DestroyerofDays said:

1986 Sun-Land Express with the 22RE with 78,000 mi on it. Picked it up a few months ago just south of Gary and drover her all the way back to New Orleans. Right now I'm working on the overhead cab, fixing all the water damage and replacing the insulation. swapped out the exhaust manifold, pugs and wires, and really need to replace the breaks/fluid, but I'm having one hell of a time getting the rear lugs off.  Its a solid aluminum frame and looks pretty nice on the inside minus the visible water damage in the shithouse. 

Still needs new water/gas lines run and the airbags in the rear before I hit the road for a little wile. Work has been slow moving because of the weather and lack of funds. hope to at least head to the desert for a little wile before I can finish with everything. 

I know that some years have reverse threads on the lugs on one side - someone will be along in a moment or two and confirm but I think the 1985 or 1986 models were the ones that had this "feature". 

4 minutes ago, neilp said:

I know that some years have reverse threads on the lugs on one side - someone will be along in a moment or two and confirm but I think the 1985 or 1986 models were the ones that had this "feature". 

I snapped one already. put plenty of pb blaster on it but to no avail

I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to this topic, reading about all of the great deals people are finding in 2019 I stopped following it, based on the recent prices in toyotarvsforsale I was ready to throw in the towel for awhile.  But seeing posts here from 2020 with very doable prices, I feel much better!  Any chance some of you recent owners can tell me where you found such gems?  As I said, Toyotarvsforsale is a bit rich for my blood these days.  Thanks-

1 hour ago, rvplease said:

I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to this topic, reading about all of the great deals people are finding in 2019 I stopped following it, based on the recent prices in toyotarvsforsale I was ready to throw in the towel for awhile.  But seeing posts here from 2020 with very doable prices, I feel much better!  Any chance some of you recent owners can tell me where you found such gems?  As I said, Toyotarvsforsale is a bit rich for my blood these days.  Thanks-

Buy this!!

http://www.toyotarvforsale.com/1978-1980-prototype-dolphin-x100-in-bay-city-mi/

This site seems to range in value. Some premo have premo prices, but you can find sub 2k with either the coach interior or the automobile mechanical needing repair, you just have to decide which is more feasible and cheap for you. I got my 78/79 Dolphin for 3,500 but it was immaculate with 60k on it, so I can’t really complain...

PERSONAL INQUIRY

I need to swap my L43, burned up after being over weighted and was scratchy for a long while and then just turned angry wet cat, then I found a bearing in my foamy 90w 😕

I’ve seen a few places that the G54 is a straight across drop in plus 5sp crossmember swap. I like the idea of having 5 gears although the 5th would be rare, I also like that all the gears are slightly lower meaning my engine will have a break compared to another L43. I was hoping this would happen in a few years after I recouped finances after traveling. I was planning to convert everything bassicly, over to diesel and 4x4, but either of these would be way more than I have funds now... 😕

Any suggestions on the swap would be great or sourcing parts. I’m leaning towards just doing a marlin order with my core for a refund. There may be some slight shaving in this oil change, but I feel like that’s the first I’ve ever seen so I’m hoping the missing bearing will be my only deduction in funds...

jusss me and my booskeees, home bumming it in perpetual incomplete project after another. Tranny swap, wood stove, then Arkansas till mid springgg.

A7EDB0C4-A316-47E9-89A4-BD5F2F5E6AAE.jpeg

E7C0441F-23D2-45A6-92FD-C3F031755F99.jpeg

5A1C44D2-34DF-4410-9ED4-DECEF610D971.jpeg

93366E53-94DF-489B-A5C5-E24750D186F6.jpeg

B9145333-6FA0-4F58-8C8E-6F2C7997CCEF.jpeg

0171F0B1-1664-48A6-A739-E4A8951AD21F.jpeg

DB596B25-092B-48AE-BC4D-B2BD058CE1B9.jpeg

Edited by RobotRichard.79DoLL

1 hour ago, rvplease said:

http://www.toyotarvforsale.com/1978-dolphin-in-missoula-mt/

this is exactly what I have, it’s a great rig, main annoyance I have is I can’t get gas, or go anywhere really without people asking to buy it or how much I paid. Idk where your located, but I’ve seen a couple now (I like to gauge my value anyways from time to time). If your new and want some help I’ll try to check back to see if you posted any comparison rigs! I love the older ones for looks, especially the noir film themed four headlights ending in the middle of 79’ (depending on the headlights you need to order different parts for production timing four lights 78’ parts and two head lights 79’ parts). Also you do know a lot of people say you must change your axle with certain production years with dualie rear wheels, not fondly called foolies by many. I still haven’t changed mine after 10k of driving over bridgeway connectors and horribly potholes roads of Portland OR. Probably should while I’m doing my tranny anyways...

Thanks for this info., and the referral, I actually didn't look at these because it looked like they would need too much work, I'm hoping to find one that is good to travel that I can afford, but it is true that the coach may be bad but the drivetrain could be fine.  I'll keep looking-stay safe-

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from Vancouver, B.C., Canada!

What I have is a very hard to find model - usually these have pop-top tents instead of a slide-out. It is built on a
'90 Toyota LiteAce CM65, called the Campmate. Here are the specs:
Engine: 73hp/96ft-lb 2C (2200cc / 2L Diesel)
Trans: 5 spd on-the-tree, 4WD Hi/Lo on floor (front hubs locking)
Chassis: Truck RV Conversion
Stock: steel body, fibreglass hull, separate shower and kitchen sink w/60L tank, 12V lighting, 12V fridge (no propane), couch that splits into a twin bunkbed and an extra large queen foldout bed, 6 ft slideout (2x 3 ft stages), folding table and seating for four.
Modifications since landing: 100W solar panel w/50 ft lines, 30A solar charger, propane (1 lb bottle) hot-water-on-demand heater, 12V water pump w/50 ft hose, LED lighting w/remote, secondary battery bank (total 360A/hr), 110V inverter w/third battery bank (150A/hr lithium), FRAM air filters, and a whole lot of elbow grease.
Future Plans: Restore everything to original condition (almost there, just need to replace awful green carpet on slideout).

I spent a few years looking for the right one; most are gutted or missing parts. This one is almost all original and was covered in some awful attempts at painting... It still needs a fresh coat of paint but I might just do a wrap.

Long story short, it has been difficult to find like-minded people in my area. I have joined a few facebook groups but found most of the members are overseas, only in the southern US, or located much farther than I can travel on a weekend...

I hope to find a tinkerer, someone not afraid of trying to modernize a vehicle without losing its character. Anyone in my area??

This is the rig but not a photo of it...just an image pulled from google.  My rig has silver trim on the side, silver top, and two skylights. 

Here's an album with a collection of photos of the real one:

Goo.gl Album

:

Edited by eOs
updated

VERY interesting!  And a diesel, in the Northeast diesel is almost the same price as regular gas, so this would be easy to fill up, congratulations!

4 hours ago, rvplease said:

VERY interesting!  And a diesel, in the Northeast diesel is almost the same price as regular gas, so this would be easy to fill up, congratulations!

I forgot to mention - it isn't quick but it is sure steady.  Some hills can really be slow, but it'll make each one...and RV's aren't meant to be fast anyway!

7-8L/100KM or 16-18 MPG on normal driving, double or triple that if it's steep or you need the 4X4.    

Hi everyone.

Really impressed with the knowledge in this forum.

Total beginner here living in Portland,OR. After I got my wife to enjoy camping last summer, we decided to look for an RV a couple of weeks ago. It took us 2 days to purchase a 1987 Toyota Sunrader. Kind of spontaneous I guess but really happy so far. Took it a few times to the coast since we bought its been great. Now I'm trying to get a better understanding of the rig and also do some DIY projects maybe some time when the weather gets better (thinking about backup camera and fix the awning - it has a casing but not much inside). The only thing not working so far is the sensor for the black water tank. Always shows open but that has not been an issue so far. I might just go to an RV dealer and have it fixed

One question I have is if I need to winterize it. We are using it about every other weekend or so, going to the coast. Shouldn't be anywhere freezing. Maybe sometimes at night I could see temperatures drop to freezing but that should be the exception.

Also if someone has any recommendations in the Portland area regarding places to go if I have an issue, I would really appreciate that.

Really looking forward to learn more about the RV. I believe this must be the ideal place for this. 

Sunrader.jpg

Well for starters finding a Sunrader to buy in days is like winning the lotto. Many people search for years and travel hundreds of miles to find one. Unless you have an extended deep freeze or your going to try to drive up into the mountains I wouldn't worry about winterizing the tanks. A few hours of below freezing at night won't freeze you lines or tanks. Water is a heat sink so full tanks will withstand cold better than empty. Poopy tank makes it's own heat too. Just plan on dumping when you start out on a trip. Of course in summer empty before going home. If you can plug in when at home a cheap electric heater will keep everything fine at night. Open all the interior doors so the heat can get to the pipes. 

Congratulations on your purchase. Your going to love it

Linda S

• 7 months later...

Hi all!  I've learned in the past that owner forums are THE best place to go to learn stuff and find help!  So here I am!!

We just got a 1984 Granville from a friend and will be fixing it up.  It runs fine, has some water damage from a couple leaks, just needs a lot of TLC, so planning on doing a lot of searching on the repair parts of the forum!!

If there is any immediate "oh you gotta know this right now" items... let me know!  We plan on taking out as much weight as we can to help with the power and the ability to get 'up to speed' on the road.

We just brought it home a few days ago - the day I took the outside photos, and have pressure washed it since, making a huge difference!  

Thanks ahead of time everyone!  

8-13-21 home.jpg

8-13-21 side.jpg

inside front 8-14-21.jpg

inside back 8-14-21.jpg

Edited by DogMaw

1 hour ago, DogMaw said:

If there is any immediate "oh you gotta know this right now" items... let me know!  We plan on taking out as much weight as we can to help with the power and the ability to get 'up to speed' on the road.

Nice looking rig!  Welcome to the forums & the community of owners.

For immediate attention, be sure you check engine oil carefully for the first several hours - especially first time you're on the highway for more than 30 minutes.   If the previous owners did something like start the rig up every few months (or years) to keep battery & engine from going stale (& this is very common), enough condensation occurs in that engine to artificially raise the oil level.  So new owner drives across town or even an hour or two, but not at real high temps - the oil level seems fine because it's not been heated for long enough - then first time at real speeds, the water evaporates out of the oil & the new owner panics when oil light comes on & they discover very low oil levels.  (The engines are tough, adding oil when it's first discovered means all is well, except the new owner is now panicked that they've damaged the engine & there's a frightful Mystery Of The Disapparing Oil to be solved.)

Air up - I go with the 40 front, 45 rear - look for threads on changing tranny fluid WITHOUT dropping the pan, instead 2 or 3 changes where you empty thru the drain hole at appropriate intervals, to avoid precipitous flushing of crud which too often happens when well-intentioned mechanics insist on a full pan-drop-and-flush treatment results in blown transmission.

Be sure to air up the air bags (assuming you have them) before you drive each time, monitor every couple of hours at first, to find out if they hold air (mine don't & are being replaced next month).

Also I'd recommend this, for short-term helpful info & long-term project list:

Welcome & good look!

Tom

Dogman, if you plan to take it out for shakedown and camping I would take care of the tires, even if tires look good they are deceiving and having a blowout is no picnic. So the rule is if your tires are 8 years or older get them replaced.

And don't try to fix everything all at once by that I mean keep the ability to take it out for some enjoyment, don't sideline it in the driveway you never leave if you do too much.

Good luck!

Gary

Edited by Gary_M

Ok here's your problem . Looks like you have a 5 lug rear axle. Take a closer pic. Recalled and dangerous.  I'll let the guys explain it. Please try starting your own thread so you don't get lost on this huge one. Start new topic then title. Easy

Welcome

Linda S

As Linda noted, start a new thread. It does appear to be 5 lug. Your camper looks great though and if there is water damage it appears quite minor for an 84. Most certainly nice enough to address the rear axle. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2019 at 10:31 AM, jeff thomas said:

we have a 1988 sun-land express been trying to get one of these toy campers for past 3 years, finally got this one from original owner, 39k miles  22r engine , auto/overdrive... every piece of paperwork and documentation with it.. and everything they ever had done since they owned it with it.. so if you need sunland manual i would be willing to make you a pdf copy.. matter of fact i'll try and do that this weekend post it up here

the sunland express's don't seem to be in numbers that many others are but im sure someone out there might like a manual for one

so far we love it! everything i thought it would and would not be.. it has not disappointed!

2 minutes ago, robert pugh said:

I would be interested in a copy I just got a 1985 Sun-land express. 

Jeff Thomas has not visited this site in 2 years. If you click on his name you can try messaging him directly but if he has turned notifications off there is no way to contact him

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I am new to posting on this forum, but I have been reading and learning so very much from all of you brave and smart Toyota motorhome fans. I have a 1987 Toyota Seabreeze Model 800 (rear bath/front kitchen) 4 cylinder 22re automatic. I'm in the SF North Bay in Marin County.

It looks like I'll need to read this thread to find out who else is in the North Bay, so we can meet up and share some learnings, etc.

I'd love to start a semi-annual camping meet up, if one hasn't been started already. I also have this silly dream of renting or buying a private storage warehouse with some other Toyota enthusiasts, so our happy little Toyotas could be kept out of the weather so they last longer, and to have a space for working on them...

Here's my little Toyota getting its new Nexen tires aligned. Those are just two tiny steps of many in my very long Toyota Rehab Journey that I'm on...(Phase I Summer Stuff: 7 Nexen Roadian Tires + 2 new 31 AGM Duracell/Deka/East Penn Batteries + New Go Power! 30 amp Auto-Transfer Switch + New PowMr 30 amp Solar Charger + New Renogy 3K Watt Pure Sine Inverter + New Denso Feul Pump + New Denso Water Pump + New Drive Belts + New Alarm System (w/ Kill Switch and Extra Tilt Sensors, New Rear Bilstein shocks, New Airlift 5K Ultimate Air bags, etc.). For Phase II, I'm now hoping to find a resource to remediate/rebuild dry rot damage to passenger wall and small section of driver cab side before that spreads, before re-sealing roof, and before the actual super fun Phase III automated solar panels adjustments and interior remodel.

F9447B2D-5723-4C6E-9245-58319BF6336C.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Here is mine. Winnebago Warrior 321RB.

If you ask my kid, it's her truckhouse, not mine.

Inherited it from my grandparents Nov 2020, Ive had it in the back yard for tinkering ever since. Its got right at 110k on the clock, engine and trans are perfect, stack of service records in the glovebox. I'm the 3rd owner of it. My grandparents bought it back in 1992 w/ low miles from someone upgrading to a class A.

With 30yr and 110k under it, the Winnie definitely shows its age, however with determination and time, it'll end up 30yr factory fresh again.

I plan to have it camp ready before this summer and take it out places around south alabama.

20210518_094835.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2022 at 9:47 AM, 90Warrior said:

Here is mine. Winnebago Warrior 321RB.

If you ask my kid, it's her truckhouse, not mine.

Inherited it from my grandparents Nov 2020, Ive had it in the back yard for tinkering ever since. Its got right at 110k on the clock, engine and trans are perfect, stack of service records in the glovebox. I'm the 3rd owner of it. My grandparents bought it back in 1992 w/ low miles from someone upgrading to a class A.

With 30yr and 110k under it, the Winnie definitely shows its age, however with determination and time, it'll end up 30yr factory fresh again.

I plan to have it camp ready before this summer and take it out places around south alabama.

20210518_094835.jpg

Nice looking rig.

22 hours ago, fred heath said:

Nice looking rig.

The picture doesnt do the details justice. It looks real good this far away, as you get closer though....😅

Its got dents and dings and rusty spots, but overall Ide say its a solid 80% good for 31yrs old.

Tools are strewn about, but the inside is in incredible shape to have been used so much. 

20220218_172147.jpg

20220218_172335.jpg

My 1979 Galavan. Made by Champion motorhomes. They were only manufactured two years, 78&79. Mine is one of 3 left still roadworthy. One of 2 left on Toyota chassis.

I’ve completely gutted and remodeled the inside to my specifications. Drivetrain rebuilt with added GM 14 bolt ff axle in the rear. I’m the third owner and have all maintenance receipts since day one. She was purchased in NH. She then spent 20 years in Georgia, 10 years in Maine and the remaining time with me in NC. She’s a true “southern girl”.

62174529-E59D-45C3-BEA7-D115625B5FCC.jpeg

2 hours ago, fred heath said:

My 1979 Galavan. Made by Champion motorhomes. They were only manufactured two years, 78&79. Mine is one of 3 left still roadworthy. One of 2 left on Toyota chassis.

I’ve completely gutted and remodeled the inside to my specifications. Drivetrain rebuilt with added GM 14 bolt ff axle in the rear. I’m the third owner and have all maintenance receipts since day one. She was purchased in NH. She then spent 20 years in Georgia, 10 years in Maine and the remaining time with me in NC. She’s a true “southern girl”.

62174529-E59D-45C3-BEA7-D115625B5FCC.jpeg

This is awesome, thanks for sharing Fred.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a farm fresh 1985 Sun Land Express that was last inspected in 2014. She runs pretty smooth and I'm hoping for any suggestions or information to help me get to know this motorhome.

It is still very vintage original inside and well kept except for some mouse droppings nearly everywhere but most of that has been cleaned up but I fear it is impossible to get every last bit.  I'm in Pennsylvania and the weather hasn't cooperated yet for a full shampoo of the interior.  Next week I'm planning on getting the inspection updated with 70,000 miles I don't think it has really been broken in yet and I'm hoping and praying the inspection and routine maintenance bring her up to snuff.  Is there any way to get an owners manual online?  There was a 1986 Toyota truck manual under the seat. How accurate can I hope that will be for this model?

This is my first try at camping in an RV and I'm finding all the nooks and crannies with holding tanks, furnaces, air conditioners, vents, hoses, lights and fuses a little intimidating but I'm up for the challenge!

I appreciate any advice or things you found out the hard way that you can share with me!!

Thanks in advance

Edited by Samm

Samm, if you want responses, you must bribe us with pictures!  😜

Linda probably has manuals for any of your appliances, if you can't find them readily online.  The motorhome portion itself is going to be generic though, no real need for a manual there just a lot of exploration and research.  The Toyota chassis is going to be well covered by any decent manual.  An awesome resource is yotatech.com for anything specific to the Toyota itself, defiantly get an account over there too.  Our little Toyotas have an obsessed cult like following, be they used as rock crawlers, overlanders, or motorhomes.  There is information out there in DROVES for just about anything you could want to know.    

What I spent most of my first year of ownership doing, was I subscribed to a bunch of youtube channels on rv-ing and devoured videos.  

Good luck on your inspection, start a thread and let us know how it goes!  Lots of people here willing to help you through the growing pains, and there will be some.  But these guys are awesome!  

• 4 weeks later...

Just purchased a 1993 Itasca spirit rear dinette.  Very well maintained and everything works with the exception of the awning release/take up knob and the original refrigerator has been replaced with a electric one.  Drove it back home 1,200 miles over two days (averaged ~14 mpg @ 62-65mph all highway I-40) and the RV rode excellent.  About 9K miles ago the engine had a complete overhaul due to the common cylinder 5 misfire.  I have the receipt for that work at over $2K. 

The generator is on its last leg and will need to be replaced soon.

The first job will be to take up the carpet and vinyl flooring and install something different.  Also I would like to seal the roof.  The unit has been under a roof of some sort all its life out in O.K.  "Okie" is now in N.C.

If anyone has one of the rear dinettes and would like to give me some pointers, I will be most appreciative.  Ripping up carpet, resealing the roof, and installing new roof vents(do that before or after resealing the roof) would be my first chores.  That and upgrading the lights to LED but that seems easy.

Also I see the new owner checklist so I appreciate that and I will be searching the site.   My son graduates high school next year and I would love for him to have the opportunity to take this thing across the country once I feel comfortable with the unit.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...