post-669-12504587851178_thumb.jpgpost-669-12504588595651_thumb.jpg

My cabinets were as dark as the inside of a boot so I took apart an old LCD monitor and used the back lights for lighting. I do not recommend that as an option however it took for ever to get it apart and there are unprotected high voltage parts exposed like in excess of 600 volts. So with some web browsing I found these: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556012009.html they are 12 volt CCFL's 12" long for $5.95! The whole kit lights, power supply and wiring. They are designed for gaming computers so they have molex connectors that plug into the computer supply but if you have a working knowledge of wiring they are a snap to install every thing plugs in and is tightly sealed for shock protection. So if you are looking for some cabinet lighting they can't be beat.I had thought of using them for regular lighting but they really are not bright enough too bad they only draw 5 ma

Oh wow!!! That's really neat and so SMART!!!!

I'd be willing to buy a set and rig them for Sadie's closet.

(Of course, I know nothing about wiring...guess it's a good thing they're cheap.)

What's the little blue thing in the picture? What kind of splicing did you do? Can you post some pictures of connections and fuse box?

How do you turn them on and off? Am I asking too many questions?

Very cool!!!

shanda

Oh wow!!! That's really neat and so SMART!!!!

I'd be willing to buy a set and rig them for Sadie's closet.

(Of course, I know nothing about wiring...guess it's a good thing they're cheap.)

What's the little blue thing in the picture? What kind of splicing did you do? Can you post some pictures of connections and fuse box?

How do you turn them on and off? Am I asking too many questions?

Very cool!!!

shanda

If you have a friend that is clever with wiring they are pretty easy it does involve cutting and splicing I wired mine into the interior light wiring with their own 3 amp fuses. The little blue box is the power supply for the lights it converts the 12 volt camper voltage to a high voltage to light the lamps. They were designed to be used in side of a gaming computer (the guys that are into that love lit up computers) so the red and black wires that are part of the computer wiring kit need to be cut free from the kit to power the lights. The red and black wires plug into the power supply with a tiny plug they are what makes it go. The black wire is - or ground and the red is + 12 volts that is the only wiring that joins to your MH. The kits come with Velcro sticky back things to mount the power supply and the light fixtures. You may not want white lights in your little MH they come in different colors so you can live it up with your own light scheme!

They do, red,blue,green I think even two tone! And you can add a music module to them to make them dance to the music! Please send pictures Sadie.

• 5 months later...

I installed the same ccl's in our past sunrader. Here is the story http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/cabinet_light_project.htm

I did have one driver fail and I also had a door micro switch fail. I also had one unit installed over the stove and another built into an old fluorescent fixture that I used for over the table. I found them to be really bright but only after they had been on for awhile. Seems they needed to warm up.

Presently in our new toy I am using the led flying saucer lights from Costco but may return to the cfl's eventually.

I installed the same ccl's in our past sunrader. Here is the story http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/cabinet_light_project.htm

I did have one driver fail and I also had a door micro switch fail. I also had one unit installed over the stove and another built into an old fluorescent fixture that I used for over the table. I found them to be really bright but only after they had been on for awhile. Seems they needed to warm up.

Presently in our new toy I am using the led flying saucer lights from Costco but may return to the cfl's eventually.

Were yours inside of a plastic tube? Even warm they just did not seem to have enough light I had great plans for flush mounting them with no exposed fixture but I did not think they were bright enough. Also how is the noise factor? Mine seem to be pretty noisy in the broadcast FM band.

Were yours inside of a plastic tube? Even warm they just did not seem to have enough light I had great plans for flush mounting them with no exposed fixture but I did not think they were bright enough. Also how is the noise factor? Mine seem to be pretty noisy in the broadcast FM band.

Yes inside a plastic tube. Two tubes and one driver. Mine were bright. Plenty of light to see in the cabinets, stove top and table. If you take a look at this pic

cablight1.jpg

it is exactly how well the inside of the cabinet was lit. Now that is a two door cabinet with a tube inside, just above each door and both were on when either door was open. Can not remember the wattage of the tubes but I think they were 7 watts at 5 milliamps. As far as noise I do not know. Never checked. Never had a HF rig (Ham High Frequency) radio in the Sunrader. I could see where they would make noise though having to raise the voltage high enough electronically to fire the tube. At the time there were not high output LED's available for cheap.

I removed the CCL's when I sold the Sunrader as I felt they might be a bit hard for someone to keep working or troubleshoot as they are a bit high tech and experimental for our MH's.

Yes inside a plastic tube. Two tubes and one driver. Mine were bright. Plenty of light to see in the cabinets, stove top and table. If you take a look at this pic

cablight1.jpg

it is exactly how well the inside of the cabinet was lit. Now that is a two door cabinet with a tube inside, just above each door and both were on when either door was open. Can not remember the wattage of the tubes but I think they were 7 watts at 5 milliamps. As far as noise I do not know. Never checked. Never had a HF rig (Ham High Frequency) radio in the Sunrader. I could see where they would make noise though having to raise the voltage high enough electronically to fire the tube. At the time there were not high output LED's available for cheap.

I removed the CCL's when I sold the Sunrader as I felt they might be a bit hard for someone to keep working or troubleshoot as they are a bit high tech and experimental for our MH's.

Yeah mine are great in the cabinets they just did not seem like they would be bright enough to light the interior in place of the 1156's. They are cheap I guess I should buy some more and try them, maybe in the range hood or some thing. I use a little FM transmitter with a MP3 player and the ccfl's are pretty noisey and that might be a problem for interior lighting of course that could be an excuse to upgrade the radio also!