Propane tank ?

LadyT

Hi,

We just bought a 1991 Toyota Dolphin and are having trouble getting the propane tank out. We don't want to break anything.....does this require a special tool of some kind?

Thanks.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi,

We just bought a 1991 Toyota Dolphin and are having trouble getting the propane tank out. We don't want to break anything.....does this require a special tool of some kind?

Thanks.

a tank is mounted horizontal & is permanently installed.

a cylinder (like used in bar bq grill) is vertical & designed to be easily removed.

If it's a tank, then it is usually mounted to the frame and filled on the motorhome, it does not come out. If it's a cylinder (5 or 7 gallon) it is removed from the motorhome compartment, filled vertically and used in the horizontal position. Below are pictures of the older style 5 gallon tanks used on my Sunrader and the newer ones with OPD (overfill protection). Both type tanks only require the valve to be closed, the hose connection to be removed and any restraining device detached, and then the tank removed from the compartment.

Allen

post-481-12519855110171_thumb.jpgpost-481-12519854814817_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

We have an 87 toyota dolphin. I have a question about the 20 lb propane tank. Ours is the same as used in a BBQ grill but I always thought those style tanks were only to be used verticle not lying on their side. Do I need to replace it with a horizontal tank? If so where do you get a small horizontal tank? Thanks Dale

We have an 87 toyota dolphin. I have a question about the 20 lb propane tank. Ours is the same as used in a BBQ grill but I always thought those style tanks were only to be used verticle not lying on their side. Do I need to replace it with a horizontal tank? If so where do you get a small horizontal tank? Thanks Dale

There is a 20# tank that is meant to be mounted horizontal generally they have a gauge on them a standard bbq tank on it's side will let liquid into your lines not a good thing. Most rv stores have them not exactly cheap.