Generator will not turn over

ports

I own a 1995 Winnebago Warrior motor home.  During the winter I kept the coach battery charged and would run the generator at least once a month and it started and ran great.  The battery went.  I replaced with a new one the other day and when trying to start the generator all I get is a click when press the starting toggle.  I changed the 5amp fuse.  Same result.  Any help in what I should be checking would be greatly appreciated.  I don't use the generator much but make sure oil is changed and run it periodically just to check.. Puzzled.  Thanks for your continued help with any problems I have had.  Al Portland

are you shure the battery is good seen some brand new batteries even that where bad.  is the  starter stuck bad selnod etc 

the 'click' is usually a bad connection. is it an onan micro lite?

Check your coach battery ground carefully. If everything was fine until the battery change, double check your connections. A bad ground will cause this condition.

Thanks guys!  Will check the ground.  The generator is a Kohler 2.5CMZ with TVM 140 motor.  Where would the selenoid be located?  Inside the battery compartment on the upper left side there is a plastic cover. Underneath are two wires  from battery connected to a black  rectangular piece.  Not sure what this is for.  On my battery hook up the positive terminal has the positive cable and another smaller whie wire.  On the negative just the negative terminal.  Could anyone give me some suggestions as to how to test to determine exactly where the problem exists.  Thanks for taking time to try to help me. Ports

Just a guess, (a picture would help) but if the two wires going to the black piece are from the negative terminal of the coach battery try cleaning that contact area.

Actually, clean all the contacts where two wires meet regardless of which battery post they originate from.

Generators require a heavy gage ground wire to start efficiently. On my Onan 2800 the generator ground is attached directly to the coach negative terminal.

Somewhere you got a bad contact. Clean everything you can find. Hopefully this will help.

Thanks Fred.  Will Do.  I also believe there is a ground going to the frame.  Will clean everything.. Would send a picture if I knew how.  Thanks again. Ports