Hi,

I am a new member, I am in Melbourne, Australia. I just imported a 1985 Toyota Sunrader from the US. It is a really nice vehicle with only 8250 miles from new and always garaged, I think you could say it's "like new" (so was the price I paid when you add all the shipping costs etc!!!)

The problem is the rear axle is still the original 5 lug unit. I don't believe the vehicle has ever been overloaded in it's life but it is a worry!

Can anyone advise me if I have an "unexploded bomb"? Is this thing likely to break at any time or is it only those units that were overloaded or over a certain mileage?

Thanks for your help,

Bongo.

Hi,

I am a new member, I am in Melbourne, Australia. I just imported a 1985 Toyota Sunrader from the US. It is a really nice vehicle with only 8250 miles from new and always garaged, I think you could say it's "like new" (so was the price I paid when you add all the shipping costs etc!!!)

The problem is the rear axle is still the original 5 lug unit. I don't believe the vehicle has ever been overloaded in it's life but it is a worry!

Can anyone advise me if I have an "unexploded bomb"? Is this thing likely to break at any time or is it only those units that were overloaded or over a certain mileage?

Thanks for your help,

Bongo.

Hi Bongo - welcome to the site! In my opinion, the axle overload problem depends somewhat on the model of your Sunrader. The 18 foot models are not as much of a concern as the 21 foot models. It is really advisable to replace the old 5 lug axle with the 6 lug on either model, but the 18 foot model can get along with the 5 lug if you are careful not to overload it. If you have an 18 foot model, the max GVW should not exceed 4700 Lbs. I assume that Australia imported the Toyota 1 ton flatbed trucks of that vintage so maybe you could find a 6 lug replacement axle in a junkyard there. If you have the 21 foot model, it will definitely need the axle upgrade. Like Greg says tho - it's best to upgrade the axle regardless.

Hello Bongo,

Did you purchase your sunrader from Ohio?

Thanks,

Dennis...

Hi,

Thanks for your help,

Bongo.

I know of two 18 footers that had the rear axles break. Ours weighed in at 6800 pounds fully loaded with cargo, water and gas. Its almost impossible to guess how much your cargo weighs. There are after market extra strong axles you can buy. The Toyota rock crawlers have come up with some stout stuff for the regular axles. You might even be able to run a single wheel on each side if you can find them with ratings high enough. Check these out http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/rear-axl...moly-rear-axles

Hi,

Thanks for your help,

Bongo.

Bongo, Do you have to convert that to right hand drive?

• 4 weeks later...

Your in the same boat as I am. Basically the 5 lug is junk. If yours was redone through the recall Toyota had it would have 5 bolts through the center section and you're safe because of the upgrade. You cannot buy one anymore from what I understand. The gear ratio on my 5 lug rear is 2.20 appx. The one ton dually rears that came out later started with a 4.10 gear up to 4.88 which will make the motor work harder on the highway and sacrifice fuel economy. I am resigned to doing the work and I will be taking detailed measurements on the old rear (outside to outside wheel and inside to inside wheel) and compare the two vehicles to see if the new rear will fit mine. From there it is just time and money, both of which you run short of when you retire. If I can help in any way just drop me a note.

Hey fellas. For you ToyRV owners needing rear axle upgrades, I have for sale two (2) sets of Toyota one ton full-floating rear axles with 6 lug wheels. Both sets come off Toyota motorhomes, -not- landscape trucks or U-Hauls. I'm in southern Michigan, happen to be driving to California departing around May 15th, and may be able to deliver an axle with 4 wheels to your door anywhere along that corridor, possibly other locations too. Guaranteed to fit under Toyota RVs. For folks who never priced freight shipping of an axle on two pallets plus a third pallet holding the wheels, that usually runs $500+. I can deliver sets for no delivery charge except beers upon arrival. Contact me directly for prices on these sets. One set has 21,000 miles and the other higher. Shoot me an email at Richard.Carl@yahoo.com for fotos, details, tips on how to swap axles since I've done a couple of those jobs too. Any other questions, contact me directly instead of via this forum.

Rich Carl

• 2 weeks later...
Your in the same boat as I am. Basically the 5 lug is junk. If yours was redone through the recall Toyota had it would have 5 bolts through the center section and you're safe because of the upgrade. You cannot buy one anymore from what I understand. The gear ratio on my 5 lug rear is 2.20 appx. The one ton dually rears that came out later started with a 4.10 gear up to 4.88 which will make the motor work harder on the highway and sacrifice fuel economy. I am resigned to doing the work and I will be taking detailed measurements on the old rear (outside to outside wheel and inside to inside wheel) and compare the two vehicles to see if the new rear will fit mine. From there it is just time and money, both of which you run short of when you retire. If I can help in any way just drop me a note.

Hi,

Thank you all for your help. I don't know how to tell if my vehicle has had the upgrade. Is there an easy way to tell?

Thanks.

Hi,

Thank you all for your help. I don't know how to tell if my vehicle has had the upgrade. Is there an easy way to tell?

Thanks.

Yes.

Read http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/files/Axle_FAQ.pdf then look at the rear wheels. Forget about the number of lugs... look for the LARGE HUB that extends through the wheels by 6 inches or so. If there is no hub you have a bad axle.