Generator thoughts for boondocked air conditioner use

wadingthroughlife

Hi All!

Generator question here for our 1987 Sunrader 18' 4x4:

We're adding a rooftop AC (RecPro 9.5k) and looking for ways to power it and the rest of the rig when boondocked for hot & humid Southern springs and summers. It'll likely ride on the rear hitch basket when in route, sharing space with a box holding whatever outdoor gear we take along. I don't think I'll need to take it in the fall or winter. We'll likely do a minimal solar setup in the future for topping off the house battery on winter, fall, and early spring trips.

I'd like something reliable, light weight, reasonable quiet, priced well, and with enough power to support the below uses + the AC.

Thoughts on what we can get away with power wise running the other items are appreciated. I assume I should add up the watts or amps of any used items, but I'm hoping for help saving that research, honestly.

Thanks kindly in advance for any help!

Considering the Honda eu2200i (1800w running/2200w startup) and Generac GP3300i (2200w running/3300w startup)

We dont run much else other than the below at any point in a trip:

-water pump
-maxxfan in 2nd overhead vent
-led overhead lights
-fridge on propane when boondocked
-water heater (electric start)
-phone charger(s)
- NO microwave/coffee pot/TV/etc

A/C Specs:
  • Rated cooling capacity: 9500BTU/H
  • Input needed for cooling: 1370 W
  • Rated current for cooling: 12.6 A
  • Maximum power input: 1590 W
  • Maximum Amp Draw: 14.6Amps
  • Startup Amp Draw: 14.6Amps

Recpro says 2500w minimum. The Honda is right on the line. A hot day and compressor restarts maybe too much for it.

stick a soft starter into the ac unit and that should help reduce the load on the genny a lot 

15 hours ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

stick a soft starter into the ac unit and that should help reduce the load on the genny a lot 

It seems to come with one or at least states it is not necessary on this unit.

19 hours ago, WME said:

Recpro says 2500w minimum. The Honda is right on the line. A hot day and compressor restarts maybe too much for it.

I'll look more towards that Generac unit or something else anyone might recommend. It seems to add power but not a ton of extra weight and costs less. Perhaps the 3 year warranty could be a good buy too.

I have this

onan p25001 - Google Search

Ran all night next to my bedroom wall and could only hear a low hum, very quiet

Had it hooked up to my freezer, refrigerator, a couple of lights and two space heaters through very long extensions cords which reduces the power

available. Everything was fine the next day.

Far less money than a Honda or Yamaha. 

The big plus is a 3 year warranty and Cummins sales and service shops all over the country. 

Mine did come with a glitch which made it hard to start. Even in my remote town there was a factory service center. 

The tech told me he could probably adjust it to make it work better but because it was new he wanted to replace the entire carburetor which they did. Under warranty so no charge. Starts first pull every time and don't have to pull too hard.

As far as the weight this old lady can lift it to the bed of my truck without too much trouble. Way higher than a hitch carrier would be.

Linda S

This was after the pre-Christmas earthquake. Whole family was at my house staying warm and safe

Another consideration when shopping: take a look at the fuel capacity of each unit and how long they can run til dry. These little inverter generators have a lot of pluses, but you don't want to get up in the middle of the night to refuel, more than you have to. :) 

Edited by Ctgriffi

I would normally say to check out the Harbor Freight generators, as I have had very good luck with them. But they have reshuffled their line up and their generators are too large or too small (2000w or 3500w). Champion has a good lineup of generators.

Linda and extech have good points about noise and weight. If you are using a portable Genset you want to run it on the ground so your RV doesn't act like a sound board and of course you want it as far away as possible. Just remember to chain it to the RV so it doesn't "grow legs and walk away"

All excellent points. I spent some time researching some of the Amazon specials. Generac & GenMax seem to get reviewed well overall. A few youtube reviews seemed to indicate they were fine compared to HF or others in the same class.

There are some consistently good reviews (as well as a couple pretty bad ones) on this one that's going for around $550, and an extra 3 year "no questions" warranty is available from Assurion via Amazon for about $65.

3300w Starting / 3000w Running 

‎47 Pounds

Similar db level to Honda

I figure if the warranty is dependable, it could be a worthwhile option.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HBYH8GB/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A20F50ULGHRLRU&psc=1

In reality there probably 2 or 3 Chinese factories that make all the "other brand" generators, changing the color and shape of the housing. So brand is a moot point.

Honda and Yamaha make generators in Jpn, Chn, Tha and even USA

Edited by WME