Full brake job for my next spring project. I noticed my master cylinder is leaking onto my brake booster all of a sudden. Picture shows the paint at the bottom of the booster eaten away from the brake fluid. Also noticed my brake fluid has gotten really dark. Will be this weekend's repair and have ordered the 1" master cylinder, calipers, pads, shoes, springs for the drums, wheel cylinders, and hoses. Over due but it did appear a brake job had been completed on my camper at some point in the past 15-20 years ; ). I did new pads on the calipers 5 years ago, and have inspected the shoes a few times.  Anyway. 

IMG_20230303_074454355.jpg

Just a suggestion. With everything brand new you might want to consider DOT 5 silicone brake fluid.

It’s pricey, but resists moisture absorption and is very durable. This is the same fluid the military uses in its vehicles.

I’ve always used it and have had great luck.

If you go this route be sure to place a a warning near the master cylinder stating you have DOT 5 installed. If any other fluid is added it will destroy the DOT 5.

Sounds like your rebuild is going well. Check your steel brake lines. If replacing all the flex lines, might as well make it 100% and replace those at the same time.

I went with all stainless steel. Pricey, but never have to do them again.

8 hours ago, Scott iv said:

And found the wheel cylinder on the driver side was leaking as well. 

IMG_20230308_100059859.jpg

spray with soapy water. whatever stays isn't brake fluid

So I cleaned the drum brakes (not the drums) using a steel brush. I discovered both sides still had factory paint; the passenger side intact and the driver side a shriveled mess from the leaking brake fluid. Clumps of shriveled paint all over. The passenger side was in remarkably good condition. Anyway, glad to have gotten in there and got it sorted. 

Brakes reassembled, bled, wheels back on, and test driven. Slight rub on front pads and that has already settled. Packed the dog, wife, and I and took a ride. About 3 miles out the driver side rear axle slid out of the housing part way; dual wheels were protruding about 2 feet away from the vehicle. Didn't completely fall off but close as I got over just in time. Tow truck, slowed traffic, the whole works. Not my proudest DIY moment. 

Upon inspection, very little damage. Bearing seals are shot, and bearings will be replaced. The locking washer was fastened to the large cylinder that screws onto the axle housing. The lock washer must not have seated properly into the groove that prevents the fastener from unscrewing as I drove. I'm grateful to have not crashed, not injured anyone with flying dual wheels, and to have not destroyed my motorhome. The repair and test drive will be completed again today. 

Edited by Scott iv
spelling