Three Connections to Coach Battery POS

Ctgriffi

All is working well, but I'm doing a bit of pre-Spring maintenance since it's sunny and 70º today—topping up my Group 29 with distilled water and cleaning up connections, etc. Anybody know what the three connections would typically be off of the coach battery positive wire, seen in the photo? One circuit breaker is 15A, the other two are 30A. I need to do more meter testing, but only one of them seems to terminate at the 12V panel inside. I assume that one is a charge wire from the Alternator... but what about the third?

image.jpeg.139cc793547ba48b246056af20ee6f54.jpeg

Edited by Ctgriffi

• Ctgriffi changed the title to Three Connections to Coach Battery POS

Home made any thing goes. I'm guessing but the free lead probably went to the battery. Fog light's etc? The feed wire is not big enough for 30 amps needs to be a # 10 wire.

The three wires that I disconnected (not shown in my photo) from the circuit breakers look like they might be "factree" and all are 10ga. One definitely goes to the panel, one leads to the solenoid/isolator as expected (charging wire), but one doesn't seem to do anything.

Found the Winnebago wiring diagram for this model, and it shows a third wire to a possible generator, which I know this rig never had... but maybe they wired 'em all the same, regardless - ?

those look like the self resetting fuses that have been bypassed. Those are all over my rig but wired to break the line leading to the house battery. in your case they look like they may have been used to distribute power along the main power line to the house battery. they served me well when my main power line was smashed/shorted between the frame and camper shell during a trip once.

Yeah, they are standard "auto-resetting" circuit breakers but haven't been bypassed—just wasn't showing all of the wiring in the above photo, sorry. Each of the three #10 wires that head off down the chassis was connected to one of the breakers. I might just remove one and tape off the unused/mystery wire that connected to it, then update the other two CBs with new and call it good.

The third 10ga wire from my battery box is no longer a mystery; it actually went straight to the Norcold fridge and bypassed the power center—looks like Winnebago did that in case a 3-way fridge was installed, which requires significant current (mine is just a 2-way, however).

i added a 12v heater to my dometic, added a power wire thats hot only while running so i can help keep the fridge cool on the road, but it can't kill the battery when parked

1 hour ago, extech said:

i added a 12v heater to my dometic, added a power wire thats hot only while running so i can help keep the fridge cool on the road, but it can't kill the battery when parked

Great idea! I actually run my 2-way off an inverter while driving now, but I do have to remember to shut it off if parked for awhile...

Use the propane it's cheaper and works better to keep the fridge cool. Been all over never had the flame blow out.