Looking to replace the original radiator in my 83 Sunrader. It's a stock 22R two core copper/brass rad. I am considering a similar 3 core. The folks at Roundforge 

https://www.roundforge.com

recommend a CSF 2314 but admit for an 83 there issue with bolts for the fan shroud. Has anyone here made this swap and if so how much of a pain was it?

CSF says they don't make a radiator for an 83 truck. I would trust the company. Core width on an 83 radiator is 14 11/16. Looks like all the CSF one are over 20. Big difference there. 

Linda S

Measure your existing radiator before you spend a ton of money on one that won't fit. 

17 hours ago, linda s said:

...Measure your existing radiator before you spend a ton of money on one that won't fit. 

X10!  

While not CSF, Roundforge is a very good resource for Toyotas though and all things off-road.  A lot of that does translate over to our trucks too.    

That said, this should also be a near bolt-in Toyota Hilux radiator for earlier, pre-1984 trucks. The biggest issue you may have is that some hardware may be different. Early trucks use 12mmx1.25M hardware to hold the fan shroud. The CSF 2314 will come with 10mmx1.0M nuts welded to the engine side of the radiator. In other words, be sure to have some 10mmx1.0M bolts around just in case. 30mm long ought to do it.

Tough call.  Linda points out the discrepancy between the sizes, core widths.  Myself, I wouldn't think twice about giving it a shot, but I have lots of experience stuffing things in where they don't go...  Most of the time moving interfering parts isn't a big deal.  I haven't played with any 83 or earlier trucks though and am not sure about what changes from the 83 to the 84 chassis.

To be safe, order from Amazon or a local parts house that will let you return it for free.  If I am putting a radiator in, or working with coolers and the like, and don't know how much fitting work is needed, I protect the core.  Cut out and tape cardboard to the core so you don't damage the fins or leave marks on them during install.   

I haven't looked for pre 84 stuff, but there are a lot of other options out there too, cheaper ones than CSF.  But if the bolt issue is daunting, chances are pretty high that the cheaper options will have even more fitment issues to work out.  

A core with change from 14' to 20' is a HUGE UPGRADE, IF you can get it ti fit in there...    

With steel radiator you may be able to fiddle with the wrong size a little, not much in terms of getting the shroud fitted and hood clearance. With aluminum it must be the right size. Aluminum radiators are fragile (to excess in most cases) and will easily be destroyed while struggling to jam the square peg in the round hole. 

Thanks everyone. Great response and advice. I will have a look at the space available. The CSF 3 core would be a nice upgrade - esp'ly on the upgrades. :) The engine is in such good condition (still has near factory level compression 180 in 2,3,4. 177 in #1) that I want to be proactive on cooling and timing chain issues.

• 2 months later...

Update on this radiator swap. I just got my Sunrader out of storage and began checking the clearance on the stock rad. I placed a 1 inch block on top of the current rad cap and tried closing the hood. It would close but not fully lock. Safety latch engages but not the lower full 'click'. I loosened and raised the hood latch mechanism. Not much give really - perhaps a 1/16" at most. Now it fully closes  - just. So.. I think it worth a try. I suspect there is more that can be done to increase the clearance on assembly. Coincidentally the hood actually fits the fenders better. It has always sat a bit below both fenders when fully latched. I suspect my Sunrader has had a colourful history. I never ask. She never says. 

Edited by akwcanoe
Typo

• 1 month later...

Update. The three row 4Runner radiator went in fine but the lower hose and heater core hose needed some "customizing" to work. This was because my Indiana Sunrader has the coach battery in the engine compartment on the driver side. This changes the location of the rad fluid reservoir and windshield fluid reservoir. These get in the way. Other than that it was fine. 

• 7 months later...

Congratulations on your success. I understand you need to change the existing bolts for the fan shroud to mount in properly but I am curious if you had to modify the fan shroud since the radiator is about 1/2inch deeper? I ask because I have an 81 Toyota Pickup Aka Hilux and was planning on purchasing the same CSF 2314. Please advise and thank you 

Curious also as I have an 82 with original radiator....