is 53k on an 86 toyota motorhome unusual?

roky

although i will be keeping my 77 chinook, primarily for more remote solo trips(the aussie locker has worked well for getting me out of some tuff spots), i'm now looking for something larger that my wife can accompany me to less remote locations -- i've come across an 86 conquest with only 53k on it, will be going off to see it -- the guy is asking $12k -- it has the 22re, auto, and the 6 bolt rear end, but 5 bolt front -- my understanding from the wiki is that in 86 the 6bolt rear was factory, but they did not add 6 bolt to the front until the next year -- that 53 k seems unreal, but so far i trust the guy -- but still, is $12k reasonable for a 37 yr old rv, even with only 53k on it?

Edited by roky
typo

No it happens. Lots of people only take short trips and only in the summer. I bought mine 20 years ago but it only had 30,000 miles. I feel like I've used mine a bunch but because I stick to my home state it still only has 68,000 miles. Sounds like a find. Go for it

Linda S 

You already have one so you know what you're looking for. Leaks and rot in the camper; recent or hx of routine maintenance on the motor. Low miles does not mean the motor won't need work because of its age; rubbers and gaskets need routine replacement. I'm imagining you know this as well. For 12,000 I'd expect previous owner had resolved most of the issues. If not its priced high (in the Midwest anyway). 

This members IP address is coming up from a suspect location. Don't answer any private messages until Roky explains himself.

I could be wrong but always better to err on the side of safety. People have gotten hacked in the past. Roky just PM me and we'll clear this up.

Linda S

yeah, you can't be too careful -- being originally from nyc area, the home of many famous con artists, you tend to be suspicious -- but the internet has taken it to another level, which is one reason i run linux, not windows

we'll be looking at that conquest friday morning, will see how it looks(i'm a mechanic), and report back to y'all -- my s detector says the owner is decent, but the proof will be in the inspection.

thanks for the help

I don't think so, when I bought my 1991 it had only 35,000 mi on it and I've seen others for sale with real low mileage. Some original buyers purchase them and only go on one or two trips a year and then just keep it in storage for many years.

ok, i wound up buying it, at a reduced price, due to some issues, roof sag at the ac, though no evidence of water damage, yet -- but an unusual thing, i pointed out to the seller that he needed 2 spares, since this 86 has 5 lug front, 6 lug rear -- he didn't know this -- so i uncover the only spare, and heres some kind of aluminum rim with about 10 bolt holes, fitted with a tire that matches the front and rear tires -- is this some kind of rim that fits both front and rear on this toyota? -- of course, i'll know on monday when i drive get it home. 

also, he's trying to say that he's burning oil -- with a 53k engine, and though he admits its never smoked? -- i did find evidence of a leak, however

and finally, if anyone can stear me to a source for a manual for this coach, would be great, seller has nothing cept the owners manual from toyota, nothing for the appliances, etc.

I got my 1986 Mini Cruiser with only 32k on it!  And I had a pile of receipts to prove it too. I don't know how many miles I put on it, but sadly it wasn't a lot...  I miss it, but I still have visitation rights!  My best friend eded up with it.  

As for coach manuals, there may not be any.  And if you do find one, it probably won't go into details on the appliances.  Builders would frequently put in whatever they could get, or a customer could also make a special request.  My Mini came with a stack of various manuals, one for each appliance.  And I added a few to the pile.  

when i get it home i'll get the appliance model #s, good chance i can find it based on that -- and then if not, i'll figure it out -- i've had a few rvs over the years, though mostly older -- and also once i know the models, i can post a question on here, and other sites.

• 5 weeks later...

all goes well with the 86 gulfstream -- with one exception: realized i needed to replace the 12 yr old tires -- did fine on the front, then i moved on to the duallies -- this is where i either earned my "all time stupid" badge, or my "gettin too old to do my own work" badge -- i was working on the driver side rear, cursing at how over-torqued the lug nuts were -- friend came over to help, we've got about a 6' helper on a breaker bar, using heat, blaster, etc., until we finally snapped off a stud -- thats when my friend realized it was a left hand thread on the dirvers side🙄 -- we both felt so stupid, since hes an experienced welder and mechanic, i've been mechanicing since the 60s -- anyway, you probably all know this, but yes, on the 1 ton dually axle, its left hand thread on the driver side, rt on the passenger

So sorry that didn't come up. Yeah only the 86's have that peculiarity. When getting tires or anything that requires that tire be removed I stand at the shop doors and tell them over and over again. I'm a girl so mechanics think I'm stupid. Long time ago at a Firestone shop they had no problems with mine but only a few months later they snapped the lug on another member's rig. Guess he didn't yell at them enough. 

As long as one is already snapped might be a good idea to replace them all on that wheel so no future problems. If not Toyota is the only place your going to find a replacement. Here's the part number

90942-02057 - Toyota Parts Deal

Linda S

10 minutes ago, linda s said:

Yeah only the 86's have that peculiarity.

oh well, my lucky day i guess -- we're used to there being an "L" on the stud, but of course, those are old u.s. trucks -- also, my friend mentioned a few he worked on that there was no indication -- for me its a distant memory, around age 15, changing a flat on my boss's truck, not a single one since then, so i stopped thinking about it -- still, no excuse, and now i get to pull that hub off to replace the stud

15 minutes ago, linda s said:

As long as one is already snapped might be a good idea to replace them all on that wheel so no future problems

thanks for that link, but why would i replace the good studs? -- i was planning on an extra stud, just in case my memory gets real bad, and some new lug nuts, cause i obviously was not the first to try and remove them as "lefty loosey", the corners show the evidence

20 minutes ago, linda s said:

I'm a girl so mechanics think I'm stupid

yeah, they do -- unless its a girl mechanic, or an exceptional mechanic -- funny thing is, my friend and i were swapping horror stories of when we swore off repair shops, due to incompetence -- a good mechanic is as hard to find as a good doctor, and then you have to get on a waiting list🤣

All new because you could have all right hand lugs instead of the odd ball just on that wheel. Note that link is for the left hand stud.

I never changed mine because I never have shops take wheels off anymore. If I need tires I only take in the wheels already removed. 

Funny there was a shop in my town female owned. I took my Explorer there just because of that. They treated me like an idiot. I got back in my truck and drove away. Fixed it myself. 

Linda S