Propane Tank mount

78SR

Thinking about mounting a 20 lb horizontal propane tank to the back of my sunrader hatchback in the top right corner with enough line so the hatch can fully swing open. This tank has built in feet with bolt holes and can operate vertically or horizontally, but can only be filled vertically.  I will be using the propane to run a Dickinson P9000 Newport Propane Heater  mounted to the wall with a direct exhaust through the roof above.  I’m wondering if the proximity of the exhaust to the mounted propane tank when the hatchback is in the raised position matters. I don’t anticipate a scenario where I would run the heater with the hatch open, but still wondering if it

would matter.

6E089419-4077-43C3-B408-8BF5A79F9E02.jpeg

9AE8F1D0-5C81-40F4-BA14-5E4370C77574.webp

CAF13CE5-5E64-424C-909D-FAB16E3A3F65.jpeg

Edited by 78SR

So scary, for so many reasons. You’re going to hang 30 lbs. of additional (explosive) weight onto the back of an already weak hinge setup. What are you going to anchor the tank to? Not the fiberglass door I hope. How are you going to refill the tank once installed? I can’t see the propane guy using a step ladder to reach your tank.

Tanks need to be anchored to a heavy duty, unmoving surface such as your frame rails or something similar. Anything else is an invitation to disaster.

Your truck is a newer model so I'm guessing no frame rail extensions? You need a hitch installed. There are swing out hitch carriers that you can equip with a bike rack and storage platform. Room for your bike and a propane tank and swing it all out of the way to raise the liftgate. No reason to go with an expensive horizontal tank either. Regular barbeque type tank will work and they make covers for them used on lots of trailers. That furnace you're planning on seems like a waste to me too. Twice the price of a conventional RV furnace and a LP guzzler. I see no insulation in your camper. Walls look gutted. Insulation is the first course of staying warm. Properly insulated and this little wall mount heat would work fine for you

Amazon.com: Camco Olympian RV Wave-3 LP Gas Catalytic Safety Heater, Adjustable 1600 to 3000 BTU, Warms 130 Square Feet of Space, Portable and Wall Mountable : Automotive

They also make a Wave 6 for a little more BTU's

Linda S

1 hour ago, fred heath said:

So scary, for so many reasons. You’re going to hang 30 lbs. of additional (explosive) weight onto the back of an already weak hinge setup. What are you going to anchor the tank to? Not the fiberglass door I hope. How are you going to refill the tank once installed? I can’t see the propane guy using a step ladder to reach your tank.

Tanks need to be anchored to a heavy duty, unmoving surface such as your frame rails or something similar. Anything else is an invitation to disaster.

Yep do it right or leave it alone.

You could create a mount where you would like to put the tank that would allow for you to remove the tank during travel and then put it on the mount when you reach your destination. You would still have to devise a way to minimize friction on your gas line running through the hatch for each time it opens and closes; don't want any rub on flex hose or copper pipe. Of course you would then need an additional location to transport the tank in. 

• 2 weeks later...

the modern rvs have outside quick connect propane hookups with snap together connecters . these are sort of like air hose couplers. you could plumb it out through the wall , floor etc. you have to have a two stage regulator on your tank.                                 they also make a wave 8  8000 btus the bigest of those heaters              . with a quick conect hose on your tank all you have too do is plug the tank into your rv or   unplug it  put the tank away. i got rid of my old horzontal tank. went to two short 2 1/2 gallon tanks  on a tee fits in my dolpon great. on trailers those taps run bbqs fire pits etc. but i dont know why you can not reverse plumb run the gas in your rv  . if your camping in a spot you can set a bbq tank on the ground . hooked to your rv.  i do that when after a week my shortys were empty used the heater a lot .

Edited by 5Toyota