Future useful information

WME

Well maybe, I'm slowly reworking the 12v system in my Winnie.  Added 200w more solar, a 2000/4000w  inverter and an auto transfer switch. This is all about running the coffee maker and microwave for a group breakfast, WITHOUT running the generator at 7:30 am. All looks good.

Next project is batteries. My current set is 2 lead acid 6v 230ah golf cart batteries. Being what they are I have around 115ah of useful power. They are 5 years old so planning for replacements is in order. 2 Trojan T-105s are $900 shipped and 2 Vmax GC-2s are $700. Rummaging around Amazon a pair of 140ah 12v LifePo4 batteries are $800. A 140ah LifePo4 will give you the full 140ah. The internal BMS shuts the battery off before it can be discharged to far. So for middle $$ I would get more power and a battery with 5000-7000 charge cycles vs lead acid batteries 500 charge cycles. The T-105s weigh 66lbs each and the 140ah Lifepo4 weigh 32 lbs each.j

While looking at voltages and AH combo for batteries, the 12v AC pages popped up. It seems the EPA is now officially frowning on 18 wheelers idling all night to run the cab AC when the driver's are sleeping. So there are now 12v, 24v and 48v cab AC units. A side solution to the power problem, there now auto start 12v, 24v, 48v direct drive tri-fuel generators. So someone who is into weight reduction and has a big budget can setup a complete 24v system for their RV. It would run the 12v subsystems, the AC, Fridge and the microwave. 400w of solar for the daytime, 400ah of LifePo4 batteries and the right size direct drive generator

A typical 3000w RV generator is in the 120lb range. The 12v/24v direct drive generators are in the 60lb range and will deliver 120 amps.

You could bring your Toyota in to the FUTURE for the modest sum of $7000. On a $200,000 tractor trailer that's not a big deal, on a $4000 toy it's a big deal.

But the future is coming and maybe the $$ will become more reasonable. The 140ah LifePo4s were $1500 ea 5 years ago

I built one of the milk crate "solar generator" I'm using a Weize 50ah battery, works fine. It powers my wife's CPAP during at home power outages.

It also does duty as a fridge power supply during daylight and an occasional trip around the lake powering a trolling motor.

Two  group 24 batteries and a 100 watt portable panel. The panel is in a home made aluminum frame that folds flat and lives on the bed. I can elevate it and turn it to face the sun. Had about 12 feet of #10 SJ left over bit of over kill but it was free. The camper has power pole connectors both ends and the controller is on the panel.