Roof A/C can be used while driving

Andrewups

Hi folks!

I was wondering if I will be able to run my roof A/C when I drive my rig. I already checked the main/cab A/C and it's not working. Can I plug roof A/C in a 12v>110v converter? If it will work, will it run off the battery? I already checked for a 12V A/C - pretty costly, it's seems to be made from gold and Swarovski Crystal 😭😭😭.

I saw that a lot you taked off the roof A/C and replace by a two way fan, I will do the same when my two boys will grow up, but before that I need to assure a confortable température when I drive all day in +95°.

Thanks.

unless you have a pretty large Lifepo4 battery bank and a high output alternator and DC to DC charger, unfortunately not. 

We have decent cab AC but also run a small inverter generator off the rear cargo rack to power the Coleman roof unit during hot/humid summer driving. It’s a bit of a luxury… but nice to keep the whole rig comfortable on the road if people or pets happen to be in the coach. 😅

Something to think about, running the roof AC from an inverter means you will be pulling 80-100 amps from your battery/alternator.

If understand right, 80-100 amps it's a lot for a Toy alternator... How to be with coach cooling? Started to made some research about 12V A/C seems that it use a lot of power also, for the Dometic RTX 2000 they recommend 500ah battery... Let's say that I spent something like 5000$ for both(it's crazy), what after that - the alternator will not be able to charge this monster battery? How to be? Seems that Ctgriffi founded the "Toy-way" for coach cooling, and the generator it's less costly solution. I'm desperate... Please help!

3 hours ago, Andrewups said:

Nice idea with the generator. Could you please put a picture of that. 

Thanks.

Here’s a link to the generator I use; there are many similar models out there, for more and less $$$. Others can chime in with their preferred choice… I liked the price-point of the Champion, its size, weight, and warranty.

I’ve also got an EasyStart 364 system that’s connected to the roof AC, which lightens the load on the generator a bit (at least whenever the compressor kicks on). Might could get by without it but nice to have. 

2000w  will run a roof AC if a Micro Air 364 is installed. A 3000w AC will run a stock roof AC.

Microwave 364 is $300, price generators and see what you total$$ is.

A bumper mounted generator is the bang for your buck solution

I was taking the Champion and Honda in consideration, completely forgot about Onan - when I was searching for a Toy I saw a lot of VR equipped with Onan generator. It's that mean that Onan it's viable generator? I like to spend a little more money but to have a quality which will resist in time, as my friend like to say " I'm too poor to buy cheap things".🙂

Champion, Onan Inverter, Harbor Freight, =$$  Honda, Yamaha = $$$  Onan RV = $$$$.

The Onan 2800 Microlite was the factory installed unit.

Look at the portable units carefully. The Onan 2500i is the same as a Westinghouse 2500, or vice versa. Same unit for less$$ is a no brainer 

Edited by WME

Mine was bought at a price I couldn't refuse. $400 close out. Yes, the Westinghouse does look to be the same unit. 

The higher running watts is the key. Need to be able to power essentials in my house when power goes down here and that's 

not unusual for it to happen. 

Linda S