Little generator, big A/C

WME

I've been designing/building a DIY power wall sort of thing as a whole house non generator power backup. In the research I discovered a possible solution to a common toy RV problem

Little generator/big A/C. Your generator will run your A/C but it won't start it, even with a ez start. The magic box feeds your generator power through it to your A/C and when the A/C tries to start, the box borrows the needed extra power from your house battery. After the A/C compressor starts the box uses the generator to recharge the battery while running the A/C.

Sounds cool doesn't it, problem is $$$. But at least it is real and there may be less expensive units in the future.

Read on, the Victron Mulitplus ...https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers

Edited by WME

12 hours ago, WME said:

I've been designing/building a DIY power wall sort of thing as a whole house non generator power backup. In the research I discovered a possible solution to a common toy RV problem

Little generator/big A/C. Your generator will run your A/C but it won't start it, even with a ez start. The magic box feeds your generator power through it to your A/C and when the A/C tries to start, the box borrows the needed extra power from your house battery. After the A/C compressor starts the box uses the generator to recharge the battery while running the A/C.

Sounds cool doesn't it, problem is $$$. But at least it is real and there may be less expensive units in the future.

Read on, the Victron Mulitplus ...https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers

What type of AC would an Rv be running that the generator couldn’t start? A honda 2200 can run a 13,500 no problem with the soft start kit. I just picked up a Renogy 3000 watt inverter / charger for my Odyssey that has an internal transfer switch for when shore/generator power is detected. I could in theory start the ac via generator, or through my inverter/ battery bank, and then transfer over to the other source without issue, all while the ac is running. I believe the transfer switch in the inverter is something like 10 milliseconds. 

The victron using the DC battery as a power boost sounds similar to a hard start capacitor added to residential units for when compressors start getting old and needing an amp boost on startup. 

12 hours ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

What type of AC would an Rv be running that the generator couldn’t start? A honda 2200 can run a 13,500 no problem with the soft start kit. 

People who bought a used RV with a 13.5 kbtu AC with no generator and only have a 1200w budget. The Victron is not the answer for that person because of the cost, BUT future versions of the technology might be the problem solver. Especially if a generator mfg would incorporate that electronic technology in a generator. Next gen inverter generator ?? 1500w generator with a 10ah battery. 

Sigh🙄... Yamaha makes one 3000w + 500w boost only $3400 and of course with 3000w a toy house A/C doesn't need the boost🙄

But the right size one is comming

Edited by WME