Need help with '92 Warrior

Andrewups

Hi everyone! First of all I want to thank you all for existence of this site - helped me to choose the right motorhome. So I just became a happy owner of Toyota motorhome. Of course I was to exited to check if all works before I bought it 😃. I did it one week later - now I'm a little panicked. Of course there are a lot of work with inside which is half putrifide(shower and overcab). The outside also need love - markers don't light, there are a lot of holes in the fiberglass which was filled with silicone.

The furnace and fridge didn't work. I tried the fridge in both positions (gas and electric) - no sign of life:(. Are there some fuse which maybe is burned? With what I need to start? 

Thanks.

Compress_20221113_134540_0739.jpg

Compress_20221113_134541_1792.jpg

Compress_20221113_134542_2193.jpg

Compress_20221113_134540_0185.jpg

The fridge should be on a circuit breaker not a fuse. Check the power panel. You do know that the fridge is 115v AC and propane

Plug in the RV to shore power and try the heater again. Sometimes the house battery is low and it doesn't turn the heater blower fast enough to trip the safety sail switch

With fridge I tried to connect directly to 115v - nothing has changed. I checked if there are some power on the plug and it's there - maybe I need to wait a little bit more for compressor to start? With propane - I followed the steps to fire up, but something doesn't work, I can't even smell the gas in the burner aria ( the pressure gauge shows that there are propane).

For the heater - blower doesn't turn, I will check thermostat and if there are power.

Thank you WME.

No compressor, you have an absorption refrigerator, it runs off heat. It may take several hours to start cooling.

Heater thermostat may have an on/off switch on the bottom, you have to have it on and raise the temp slider  to 80+ degrees

I understand, so, maybe, my fridge will run on the 115v but I need to wait a little bit more time ( I was ignorant - thinking that it will work like home fridge, you just plug the power and the compressor will start in few seconds 🙃). I will give him another try next weekend. Thank you for your time WME and have a nice week.

I would add, if you’re fairly new to RVs, and want to verify that propane is available and flowing, crack open the main tank valve and then go inside and light a stove burner or two. It may take a few tries, but it’s a good thing to do before testing operation of propane appliances (especially if the rig has sat unused for months/years!). 

The fridge will take an overnight to cool no matter how you power it. They are totally different than a household fridge. It has no blower and make no noise. They are absorison fridges some thing that went south decades ago. They do work fine in acamper just give it some time they are slow to cool no matter how they are powered.

make sure that puppy is level  also. running it off level can kill it. $400 for a new cooling unit

1 minute ago, extech said:

make sure that puppy is level  also. running it off level can kill it. $400 for a new cooling unit

Yeah pretty much if you are comfortable the fridge is ok just be careful where you park it if you are not in it.

you can because it will be constantly moving, however having a flame in going while driving might not be such a good idea..

i added a 12v heater to mine to use while driving

1 hour ago, Andrewups said:

Thanks for idea with 12v, I definitely need to ad it on my fridge also.

Usually they have 3 different choices gas, 12 volts and 120 AC. Yours is fairly new so it probably has 3 choices. The biggest issue with gas is the flame blowing out, the system will turn off the gas but that won't keep you stuff cool. I have never had a unit that did that from motor home to full size camper but it is possible. The actual flame is kinda candle size it is the most efficient of the lot, electric heating is a power hog by comparison.    

Can you post a picture of the fridge control panel?

There are the pictures. Pretty sure that is two way fridge. I made some research about how absorption fridge work and I wandering if there are some possibility to check if there are no leaks of fridge liquid. Are the absorption fridge the same as compressor fridge in this point? (compressor fridge will not start if there are no normal pressure of refrigerant gas). I noticed that there are some sweet smell coming from my fridge...😱😱😱

Compress_20221114_153810_0317.jpg

Compress_20221114_153809_9739.jpg

If an RV fridge goes bad usually there is a strong ammonia smell. If it has set for a long time the smell would be gone.

There should be a vented cover on the outside of the RV, looked like yours is by the rear awning arm. Plug in your RV to shore power and turn the fridge to electric and turn the thermostat to max. Wait 10 min and open the outside cover and see if the boiler is getting warm. It's the tall cylinder thing on the right side. If warm it's working, but there may have been a crack in a tube and the magic escaped. No heat? check to see if the outlet has 115v AC. AC good then bad heater, no 115v check power panel. 

Then check gas operation. Turn on stove to verify propane is working. Switch fridge to gas follow the steps and see if you get a flame.

There should be a tin cover on the boiler that you can remove to look for the flame. You may need 2 people one to push button c and the other to hold a BBQ lighter by the burner.

You may need an air compressor to blow the rust and spider webs out of the burner. Non use can be cruel RV things.  

I just don't understand why you wouldn't go over all this stuff with the previous owner. Can you contact him? Oh well, also inside the outside access for the fridge there is a plug. It should be plugged into an outlet right next to it. For the furnace there should be an on off switch under the thermostat cover. Turn that to on for the heater to work. 

Linda S

You got to realise all of this is not instant, there is a small window, on gas you should see a small blue flame there is a push button on the panel that has to be pushed to light the burner maybe several times. Once you see the flame it should work. Do not expect it to cool in anything less that several hours.

Thanks WME, stove work perfectly. I followed fire up steps and I didn't get a flame. I will try to fire up the fridge with some one inside. I will clean up all with air. For the 115v- already checked the plug and there are the power to fridge. I will plug again to see if boiler warm up, and if yes I will let it overnight, if there are magic liquid - it must get cold. If nothing happens then I need to see a witch for some magic or to marketplace to buy another fridge 🙂.

Hi Linda, already asked the previous owner, he confirmed that furnace didn't work and that he used the camper almost 2 years ago. Tried all possible with thermostat. Next thing to do will be to cut the wires from thermostat, knod them and see if something happens. If understand right, there are a blower wich will start to turn, and after some time the ignition must fire up the furnace. If nothing happens again I will check if there are 12v to the furnace. I checked the electric schema of furnace and seems that there are a additional fuse of 4 amp - I will check if it's ok.

IMG_20221114_192212.jpg

after reading this post i went out and checked my frige. after removing the panel in front of the burner,. i noticed i couldn't see the end of the acrylic prism stick? so i pushed it down with a long screwdriver, and low and behold i could see the ignition spark and then the flame in the window from above

There is a thermocouple in the flame burner as a safety device. Pushing button C bypasses it and will let gas flow. You have to keep holding it down until the flame heats up the thermocouple enough to keep the gas valve open. After a long storage there is air in the gas line and it will take a while to purge it out. Keep trying.

If the heater thermostat on/off switch is on and the temp is set max, the fan should be running. Check the fuse, can you find away to see if the fan will turn?

The process goes like this thermostat sees the need for heat and closes contact, sending 12v to fan motor. Fan runs and clears the heater of possible gas, time delay switch keeps just the fan running long enough to make sure any gas is cleared out and then the air flow closes the sail switch. That sends a voltage to the gas valve and to the spark coil to light things up.

Fan is old and turns slow or a bad house battery and not enough air flow to close the sail switch. So no gas, no spark. No heat.

Heater problems... dirty/corroded fan motor, bad sail switch, mud dauber nest in vent pipe (no air flow), bad spark coil, a bad thermocouple. In your diagram the sail switch looks to be #8 on the partial page.

You made need a trip to your local RV repair shop

P.S. a cheap digital volt meter, $8 Harbor Freight, is a requirement for owners of old rv's.

Thanks WME for details, now I have more traces to follow. An informed man is a strong man 😁. About RV shop - after a fast diagnosis I was told that I need to change for new one... Forgot to ask them if they meen new Toyota Warrior 🙃.

I'm more handyman, like to repair things by myself.

The freezer reacts faster, put the thermometer in the freezer

WME you are a mind reader, I already put the thermometer in the freezer ( I became afraid of you 😜). It's working!!! The magic are there!!!

It taked 2,5 hrs to get cold.

Next step will be check/ fix propane mode. I have an filing that it's because of air in the line, I will disconnect the pipe to get ride of air and check if there are gas coming. Also, I have a question about spark electrode - when I fire up, will be there a "click" everytime I push the button, something that we hear when we fire up the BBQ?

yes it's the same as a bbq. you should see a flash in the window to the left of the buttons. look straight down at it