Generator question

Land of enchantment

I have a 1990 Itasca Spirt, I'm about to connect it to my Sportsman 4k watt generator. I noticed on the aux battery compartment it says to disconnect before attaching to external charging. Do I have to just disconnect the aux battery only or also the engine battery? Also will this generator work or do I need an inverter generator? (It has an 120 RV outlet on it.)  I'm in the mountains with no electricity yet.

Thanks in advance. 

Shouldn't have to disconnect either battery. Do you normally disconnect batteries when connecting to shore power? Shore power vs generator... it's basically the same thing, and your RV doesn't care.

Inverter generators are nice for high-end electronics and are generally quieter, lighter, and more efficient—definitely not a must for basic RV use, though.

Edited by Ctgriffi

What the sign is talking about is if you are planning to use an external battery charger, car type.

If you are using shore power the built in converter charges the battery and you don't disconnect the battery. You will plug your RV into the generator using the shore power cord and all is good. You may need an adapter for the cord depending on what plug is on your cord and what sockets are on the generator