Cruise Control Inoperative

ka6uup

I have a 1990 Toyota v6 HD dually chassis with an Itasca Spirit RV.

The cruise control does not work.

I took it to a competent shop and they reported back: "The cruise control is not OEM and we could not find any documentation."

Does anyone know of a source of documentation for this cruise control or suggestions on fixing it?

Also, is there a source of service manuals for this RV?

Thanks,

Chuck

You have to get under the hood and find the cruise control module. Somewhere on the unit there will be a brand name; you may have to disassemble it a little to find a brand. Once you have a brand google and see what you find. 

In my 87 I have an obsolete aftermarket cruise control. I disassembled it numerous times trying to get it to work. Found the brand name but no info online as the company had long since went under. Found an in box model of the same brand for sale on Ebay and contacted the seller requesting whether the individual would send me a copy of the instructions. I offered to pay but the person copied and emailed it for free. Didn't help and my unit still doesn't work. Anyway. 

I can tell you that, on a 91 Warrior, Winnebago used Dana's Electronic Speed Control, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the same unit on yours. Mine still works and is a big help for long trips, interstate travel. I've got the original 15-page manual with instructions, schematics, and troubleshooting—but maybe it can be downloaded elsewhere online? If not, let me know, and I'll scan the whole thing and make you a pdf.

dana-cruise-control-pg1.jpeg.fff5c12d7a1197943b51d6f6a0ff4fcb.jpeg

I have not found any Dana instruction manual.

They sold out to Rostra and they are less than usless

I would appreciate a copy of your manual. I will gladly pay what ever charges you feel necessary

Chuck

No problem, ka6uup. I scanned in the manual and attached—maybe it'll be helpful for others too.

One thing I'll point out from the wiring diagram: there are a couple of different important connections, but the main control module is powered by a brown 12V+ wire that should go to an "accessory only" fuse in the panel near driver's left foot (bottom of page 10). I'd start by making sure that the brown wire is still connected—mine was not when I first bought the rig, and reconnecting it was an easy fix.

If your unit turns out to be unrecoverable, Rostra does make some universal kits for a couple of hundred dollars. I installed one on a little Toyota Echo a few years back; any mechanic could handle that job.

dana-cruise-control-manual.pdf

Edited by Ctgriffi

Well!!! One look at the manual and I spotted the problem.

When I bought the RV the radio  didn't work and in browsing under the dash I found a brown wire with a flat metal device (obviously meant to slide into a fuse receptacle)  on the end. What is that I wondered ;-}} Now I know: it is the power wire to the cruise control. I haven't had time to try it ( it attaches to the radio fuse) but maybe tomorrow .

Chuck

Cool, glad you figured that out. Yep, either that brown wire gets kicked out of position over the years, or possibly folks just yank it when doing a custom radio/deck install, forget to put it back.

Something else that I've learned with mine over the past couple years: problems with turn signals or brake lights (bulbs and/or wiring) will often cause the cruise module to not engage... or suddenly deactivate.

Edited by Ctgriffi

• 1 month later...

You've received some helpful advice here. If it's not fluid level - it may indeed be the brake switch causing CC to think you're applying the brakes, thus deactivating CC. You see, I just purchased a Toyo Dolphin and the cruise control is out. Sellers said it was working a couple weeks prior. When researching how to fix I found the problem may be a broken, missing or slipped out of place brake switch aka brake sensor. They're typically a plastic piece that eventually wears down or falls off, thus, the pedal drops lower and your light gets activated and . . . incidentally, CC won't work because it thinks you're depressing the brake.

Here's a link to learn more:  https://psbrake.com/blog/what-is-brake-switch