Front plexi window replacement??

Perilynn

Hi guys- loooking for a little assistance- I just realized that my 90' winnie does not have the inside plexiglass that goes on the two front windows on the bed area (over the cab). Wondering if anyone has some advice on how to go about replacing those things- Im hoping to be a little more insulated during cold nights. Thanks!! you know you guys are all great!

Peace :cold:

Hi guys- loooking for a little assistance- I just realized that my 90' winnie does not have the inside plexiglass that goes on the two front windows on the bed area (over the cab). Wondering if anyone has some advice on how to go about replacing those things- Im hoping to be a little more insulated during cold nights. Thanks!! you know you guys are all great!

Purchased an 88 Winnebago 22rb last year. The two front bunk windows were cracked and needed to be replaced. Local glass dealers wanted $100 / window for safety glass -- went to Home depot and purchased 2 sheets of their heaviest plexiglass ($16) - make sure it is same thickness as original safety glass, carefully removed one window and used it as a template to cut new windows (you can use a good jigsaw with fine blasde -- use paper protection on glass. I had to sand the edges to get a good fit but the rubber gaskets on Winnebagos are super tough and last a lifetime. The hardest part was fitting the new glass into the gasket & metal frame - make sure the gasket completely surrounds the plastic before fitting into metal frame. I would also recommend taking the metal frames completely out (vs. just replacing the glass) - it will be must easier to work with and by now the gasket material fitting to the camper skin is probably failing - use a good butyl compound and that seal and use abit of silicon once you fit the new glass in the frame. I've had no leaks and it has not pitted at all after 2,000 miles though it will be more prone to that over time, but worth the $$ savings.

Dont use silicon on external fittings - windows or otherwise! Once you use silicon (which breaks down quickly) nothing else will stick to it. You are much better off using polyurethane sealants such as PL or Vulkem. I personally wouldnt use butyl tape either, stick to the high quality marine sealants, & remember to put a bit of sealant on any screw or bolt that goes through the outer skin, that will form a gasket for the bolt keeping it watertight.

Tony

I am also looking for the same information have you received the answers we need?