Profile/Display name - interaction with a member, how do you feel?

This topic has been on my mind for awhile now but has gained more thought as I've seen display member names being referenced to a Disney movie or life metaphor. Yes it's a personal thing with me and I do have my nits so bear with me.

Don't get me wrong I also have profile/display names that are more like acronyms, however for those accounts I usually have a signature with my real first name at the end of every message.  For me having a real name or sudo real name makes a conversation much more relatable and inclusive. Case in point I feel more comfortable in replying to a real names like Fred, Scott or Linda, just makes the conversation flow better for me.

Replying to metaphor like names makes me feel like I'm taking to a door, it just doesn't feel right. Who knows maybe it's a shift of the new generation and the social interaction that takes place in the wild today. I just like to have a realistic name to associate someone to, I'm just an old fart with old ways.

Thoughts?

Gary

Well, it is the internet. People get to be whomever and whatever they want to be. Some of the screen names are funny. My only issue is if you've been here a long time and have established relationships with members, I do think it would be nice to post your real name at the end of your post. I do feel like a lot of you are my friends. Nice to know your name, friend. 

Linda S

I’ve always used my first and last name on forums such as this. My only social media account is FB and I use my real name there. My photo though is generic.

Autonomy is necessary sometimes in today’s society. I’m old enough that I don’t care if someone wants to data mine my name. It’s a common enough name, have fun. 🙂

On 10/5/2022 at 2:28 PM, Gary_M said:

Replying to metaphor like names makes me feel like I'm taking to a door, it just doesn't feel right. Who knows maybe it's a shift of the new generation and the social interaction that takes place in the wild today. I just like to have a realistic name to associate someone to, I'm just an old fart with old ways.

Thoughts?

Gary

Gary, you have a very valid point (says "thewanderlustking").  I personally can go either way with this.  I grew up in the golden dawn of the internet.  I also grew up around strange group of friends who were obsessively paranoid and preached the wonders and evils of the internet.  A couple of them actually went on to make serious names for themselves in the hacker world. 

I used to closely guard my identity (especially online), and there were points in my life where that was critical to do so.  These days it doesn't really matter to me, just remnants of old habits now.

For a while, I was trying to build a "brand name" and make a career out of travel photography and writing.  But being really successful at that requires selling yourself and really putting yourself out there on social media.  I didn't want to be in front of the camera, but behind it.  I was more inspired by the National Geographic generation of photographers, and learned with a film camera in my hands.  But that is a sidetrack/tangent I guess... 

On 10/5/2022 at 5:06 PM, linda s said:

Well, it is the internet. People get to be whomever and whatever they want to be. Some of the screen names are funny. My only issue is if you've been here a long time and have established relationships with members, I do think it would be nice to post your real name at the end of your post. I do feel like a lot of you are my friends. Nice to know your name, friend. 

Linda S

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this Linda!  Hells yeah, you hit it on the head with this!  It is easier to talk to somebody with a real or more normal name.  It is a pain to type out thewanderlustking (and mine is an easy one compared so some).  While James is so much easier.  I hate looking back and wondering if I should capitalize somebodies "goofy" screen name.  I find myself actually responding and connecting to people better when I have a real name to use.  And honestly, like you and Gary have done, it really doesn't have to be your "full" name.  I have never given this much thought before lol.  Funny, thinking about this I also realized I don't even know my boss's last name, or for that matter any of my coworkers.  That's kinda sad...     

I am on a couple other forums where I happen to personally know members and even talk to them on the phone at times.  If they don't post their name actual, I do tend to respect that out in the public view.  But I definitely have a better connection with them, knowing their name. 

Anyways, hello everyone my name is James!  As most of you have likely figured out, I enjoy writing.  I may have a small habit of overthinking things.  I am NEVER sarcastic.  I ask too many questions.  Probably because I am REALLY good at finding the weird questions nobody else would think to ask...  And I truly enjoy helping others.  I try to make a point to help somebody whenever pop in here.