Source and Cause of Pinging/Ticking Noise?

Camusus

Hi everybody,

Recently I started my 1983 dolphin 22R and two noises have appeared. One is higher in pitch than the other. 
The noises occur when the key is turned to ON or when the engine is running.

The source sounds like it is coming from near the Master vac or the metal instrument (i dont know what it is called) along the drivers side outboard portion of the engine compartment (closer to the firewall than the voltage regulator and engine coil). Photo attached

I dont know if related, but at the same time i noticed the 15A fuse for the tail lights was broken and now occassionally the car wont start (does not turn over), though eventually it does. 
Replaced the fuse, tail lights work, noises persist.

Battery voltage is normal.

Thanks for any suggestions.

camusus

E074A9F3-2216-45A3-B306-15FAFEC0ADF4.jpeg

That is a picture of your isolator. Thing that routes charge to your coach battery when engine is running. 

Don't think it should make any sound but there should be an automatic resetting circuit breaker towards the rear in the pic. Maybe if that was kicking on and off repeatedly? Check current with car running going into and out of the isolator. They should be the same.  Try using an automotive stethoscope to narrow down the source of the noise, inside tube from paper towel roll. Let us know where it's coming from. 

Is the noise loud? Bet you haven't had your valves adjusted in forever. 22r valves get loose. They can make a ticking sound. 

Linda S

Ah yes, the isolator. Thanks for pointing that out.
As for the valves, ive adjusted those within the year and within seven thousand miles. Thanks for pointing that out as well.
the noise is loud enough to hear while driving and loud enough to hear when the hood is up and im looking at the running engine.

I dont have my multimeter to check the isolator yet, and or any of the circuit connections going to and from the isolator, BUT i did have a wrench and i disconnected the camper battery and the noise went away. Soooo, the noise is gione but the underlying issue is not, nor is the fact that now i dont have electricity to the camper. HAHAHA

I think this means that there is an issue in the circuit between the camper battery and some thing downstream from it. When i have the chance i will check the isolator as you suggest and any circuit breakers in the circuit, and use some toilet paper to aurally isolate the noise (if i reconnect the battery to bring the noises back). Thanks again, and i hope to share what the source is once i figure it out. 

if it's that loud you will be able to feel the part making the noise. i bet the circuit breaker is the cause.  it could be just worn out

A new battery wired wrong can cause this