I am installing new shocks ordered from RockAuto. In fact they were delivered very fast, and months ago but just getting around to do this. No issues with the rear shocks they went in with some jacking around. But wanted to verify if I ordered the right shocks for the front. See attached photos:

They sure look different. I have installed one on the passenger side and found that the base which Attaches with two screws from the bottom has lot of play. Looking closely at the base of old and new I can see the they are not exactly the same. While installing i noticed there is a lot of wiggle room around the screws. 

I am afraid the shock will get loose. I thought of useing bigger washers so it does not fall off the frame. 

I thought I will check with the experts before I go any further. 

20220830_131907.jpg

20220830_163420.jpg

Ideally you want it correctly sized, but some solid, slightly thick washers will do fine. Transfer over your boot/sleeve too. 

The slightly bigger concern I would have is the body lengths. Looks like the new KYB has a longer body. While again it should fit, it may be for a slightly different application so just double and tripe check it is the right part.  

I can’t perfectly tell from the picture as it is partially covered up. Gently tug both shafts all the way out and see if they stop at the same length. 

Edited by thewanderlustking

I have checked and compared old and new fully extended and they are both the same length. My issue is the base. I wonder if I ordered the correct part. 

Part Number I Ordered is: KG5458

Could someone help me verify if this is the correct part for my rig. Thank you

Are the bolts loose or is the bracket loose in the shock??

Loose bolts?? can you post a picture of a bolt.

Loose bracket in the shock, bad shock

3 hours ago, linda s said:

You ordered the correct parts according to all the websites I checked. 

Linda S 

Thank you Linda, you are the best. Always value your to the point answers.

3 hours ago, WME said:

Are the bolts loose or is the bracket loose in the shock??

Loose bolts?? can you post a picture of a bolt.

Loose bracket in the shock, bad shock

WME agree, photos will clarify the issue, it is none of the above. Tomorrow I will raise the front end, go under, take couple of photos and post them for further discussion. I just hope it is not a hot day like it has been lately. Thank you.

It took me few days to get to it. I think I found the solution to the problem.  Attached are few photos: 

First photo is old and new base of the front shocks. You can see there is small difference. The new shock wiggles as the fork where the bolt sits is too wide. Shock even slides out from one end if not held tight. 

Second photo shows with new shocks with old bolts and old washers. You see the gap. 

Third photo is with new shock , new bolts and much bigger washers.

I wonder if anyone else came across this issue that the new shock is not exactly the same, especially where it is fastened to the frame. 

20220904_110234.jpg

20220904_212150.jpg

20220904_160157.jpg

I vaguely remember the issue you've described, when I did this job on mine, couple years ago. You're right, of course, that brackets on the new shocks don't quite match the spacing of the mounting points on the lower control arms. But if you snug 'em down they work just fine, which is probably why most haven't thought to mention it. I didn't really worry about it honestly and haven't noticed any problems, although I like what you've done adding the big washers—looks good.

Looks like you have done about the best you can. 

Peanut gallery thoughts, can you drive the old mount bar out of the shock?? Know anyone with a mig/tig welder, just extend the bar.

I would very much like you to report this to KYB technical support. We have been recommending these shocks for years and never had this issue come up. Did they make changes to the mounting bracket and why would they say this is a fit when it's not really a true fit. Jury-rigging it shouldn't be required. Across all the Toyota motorhome sites I would guess 15,000 to 20,000 people are possible customers. Not to mention if someone doesn't pay attention to the poor fit the shock could come loose and cause an accident. They would be partially responsible for that. Send them same pics you posted here but leave out the how you fixed it one. Companies usually respond better if they see the serious flaws in their products

Technical Support - KYB Americas

Linda S

I agree Linda, the manufacturer needs to know the product is not the exact replacement. Noted, i will write to KYB with photos. Keep you posted on what develops.

Best !!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone one seen or heard of coil-over front shocks for my 1992 Winnebago Warrior? Shocks wrapped in a coil spring for extra support. It would be great on my 30 year old front suspension, if they exist. 

38 minutes ago, Poor Bobby said:

Has anyone one seen or heard of coil-over front shocks for my 1992 Winnebago Warrior? Shocks wrapped in a coil spring for extra support. It would be great on my 30 year old front suspension, if they exist. 

Definitely haven't heard of anyone doing that here, nope. But, since you're talking about front suspension issues, I'd be wondering what kind of shape your torsion bars are in—and if they've been set to spec recently (?) Might wanna start a thread up for that, if you'd like to dig into it more...