1979 Toyota Dolphin

Darlene

Hi! We just became the owners of a 1979 Dolphin, 20', 4 cyl. 4 speed. There was no owner/operator manual sorry to say. Was hoping someone could help us out. I called RV places and they told me to look at yard sales or internet. I have been searching mega hours on internet and have had NO luck!post-292-1138594418_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Darlene

Owners manuals tend to be somewhat generic mostly in the area of appliances. In other words a lot of coach builders use the same stoves, refrigerators, water heaters etc.. The actual coach owners manuals may cover locations for items such as fuse panels, drain valves and basic coach care. Most if not all can be found by searching the INTERNET or asking in the forums for info on specific appliances.

The truck part of the RV is a Toyota pickup of that year. Chilton's is a good manual. If you can get your hands on a factory repair manual for that year even better.

Any how there are some manuals in the gallery section. You might find some covering your years appliances.

Greg

• 9 years later...

There's a seller on ebay that has a general CD on dolphins, 1980 on, which does cover components of my 79.

Had trouble finding the right distributor for engine, found that the truck chassis were actually built the previous year. Once I started getting '78 parts, everything fit. Chilton manuals are great for under the hood. Have it pretty much gutted, and planning updates. Was pretty overwhelming when I realized the extent of water damaged framing, but moving along, reading all the great advice we have online.

There's a seller on ebay that has a general CD on dolphins, 1980 on, which does cover components of my 79.

Had trouble finding the right distributor for engine, found that the truck chassis were actually built the previous year.

Even regular pickup trucks (not RVs) are often built the year before the "model-year." You need to go by the metal sticker numbers under the hood. There is a BIG difference between some trucks actually built in 1978. And a 1979 model even takes a different windshield. I have all the Toyota factory manuals here and even with them it can get confusing. You have to verify if you've got a RN20, RN25, RN22, RN R27 - all covered in the Toyota # 98084 manual, or the RN30 and RN40 covered in the Toyota # 98313 manual first printed in September, 1978.

Your cab and chassis' is actually a 1978 or early production 1979.

For all intent's and purpose's, refer to it as a 1978 when ordering mechanical parts. The easy way to tell is that you have four headlights. Toyota carried over the 1978 chassis until 6/79. The new body style has only two headlights.

Read the archived posts regarding the rear axle. If you don't have the 6 lug full-float axle, it's something you should consider changing immediately, before any long distance trips.

Welcome to our forum.

• 3 years later...

Hi, did you locate the manual? I am looking to also purchase a 1979 Dolphin, with 4 headlights (Is it the 1978 manual /parts you order for?) same layout as your Dolphin with the rear dinette- does yours have the raised transition area in the flooring where the dinette is? Is that where the water tanks are located? Do you boink your head often on the AC unit? I think I would remove the AC, install a skylight, and get a side mount AC ,or portable unit. 

33 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Hi, did you locate the manual? I am looking to also purchase a 1979 Dolphin, with 4 headlights (Is it the 1978 manual /parts you order for?) same layout as your Dolphin with the rear dinette- does yours have the raised transition area in the flooring where the dinette is? Is that where the water tanks are located? Do you boink your head often on the AC unit? I think I would remove the AC, install a skylight, and get a side mount AC ,or portable unit. 

If you have 4 headlights, the mechanical parts should be ordered for 1978 c&c.

The big thing to check is the rear axle. It should have 6 lug nuts. If only 5, the axle is unsafe and will need to be replaced. The coach (inside) is generic, all Motorhomes have the same basic setup.

40 minutes ago, fred heath said:

If you have 4 headlights, the mechanical parts should be ordered for 1978 c&c.

The big thing to check is the rear axle. It should have 6 lug nuts. If only 5, the axle is unsafe and will need to be replaced. The coach (inside) is generic, all Motorhomes have the same basic setup.

indeed I was reading that in your earlier response, great to know. On that topic, the RV I'm looking at (yes it's got the 6-lug), has the rear dinette as aforementioned...but the 20' model (or is it 19.'?) has the flooring/ transition where the dinette is located...I wonder if that is where the water holding tanks are in the 20' model? The 21' model with the same layout seems more desirable, as you don't have that transition area where the rear dinette is. I wonder how that effects it's usability (the current owner is 6' tall, and so am I), as the transition starts in the middle of where the stove is, and the current owner talks of boinking his head a lot, and I was thinking to remove the rooftop AC. I'm surprised it's not sagging more where the AC is (my previous one did, a '87 Huntsman maybe it's again due to the shorter overall length?

I was looking to install another generator, repaint the RV (window seals and cool coat on the roof has already been done), install 3 solar panels on the front part of the roof, replace the carpet with Pergo, remove the rooftop AC and replace it with a larger skylight (get a little portable AC unit to use) and tint the glass. I think with the 20' version there is no awning option, though I have yet to see the vehicle (and pics of the passenger side, so not sure if there is a mount or not. Presumably not), and finally install another battery. 

Does your RV Darlene have the same transition area  in the flooring, and how does it effect the use of it? I wonder if the dinette is as comfortable in terms of leg length compared to the model that have the dinette without the floor transition? I also wonder what the exact total length of your '79 ('78 chassis) Rv is? 

the 1979 I kind of a one year  cab 2 big round headlights the 1980 81 start the big squre lights

• 5 months later...
On 7/14/2019 at 3:19 PM, linda s said:

Dolphin this early have no duallys.  Single wheels in back. Not recalled

Linda S

Unless some owner changed it. Then I might require some work

My 1979 Toyota Dolphin 300 has duallys and is a '78 truck with dual headlights (4 total). I had to swap out the rear axle. The 6 lug axles are getting harder and harder to find, and mine was $1200 installed by wrecker. (I was told of 2 broken 5 lug axles, courts & desperate searches). I also picked up a 1976 Toyota Pickup 5 speed cross-member, so I can switch to a 1988 G54 or W56(?) tranny, when able. The 1983 W52 tranny that I bought would have required a lot of welding and a $750 differential change. Thanx for all your help, Linda. Ron Alan

I also have a 1979 Dolphin Owner's Manual. I wrote on the cover, and its not all that enlightening, but its complete. Such as it is.

1979 Dolphin Owners Manual.pdf

Edited by Ron Alan
Added Manual

W58 should be almost perfect swap for your L43. No first hand knowledge but former member of this forum did the swap. No major welding, all spline counts match, and shift hole almost spot on.