Hello everyone I need some help/advice the whole tire and rim flew off my R.V today on my way back home... i have no clue on how or why it happen it a 85 toyota motorhome 22re "new horizon" 6 lug it just pass 80,000 miles original 

I was driving a noticed a sound coming from the rear I thought it was the road noise but then the rv stopped moving and I thought I blew the engine but then I saw what happen the crazy part the whole rim/tire are  Intact and are not damaged at all. I'm also trying to figure out my next step Idk if I should just try to repair it or just upgrade the whole diff ??

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!

20220810_141442.jpg

20220810_141439.jpg

20220810_141156.jpg

20220810_115241.jpg

20220810_113835.jpg

20220810_105823.jpg

Edited by Cybord

. extreme bearing failure i would say probley an understatement for shure. from what i know the 6 lug must have the bearings removed and repacked at intervals. an unusual design the gear oil does not lube them.  those look like new brakes has someone worked on this in correct reassembly maybe.

Edited by 5Toyota

Looks like a real "1 ton". Got a photo of the outer side of the duals.

At a first long range glance it looks like the jam nut wasn't lock and the bearing retainers unscrewed.

5Toyota's comment about new brakes is to the point

Edited by WME

32 minutes ago, 5Toyota said:

. extreme bearing failure i would say probley an understatement for shure. from what i know the 6 lug must have the bearings removed and repacked at intervals. an unusual design the gear oil does not lube them.  those look like new brakes has someone worked on this in correct reassembly maybe.

Those are new brakes I just got them about 3 months ago a local shop did them for me

The splines on your axle shaft are completely destroyed. I can see some but the middle is stripped smooth. My only guess is that the mechanic didn't seat the axle properly in the housing where it meets the differential. You need a new axle. Your differential is probably destroyed too. Where are you in California. I will find you one

Linda S

This is pure theory. The first 1 ton axles had 6 hand hold wheels with left hand threaded studs on the driver's side.  Old school thought was, the wheel turning would keep the nuts tight. Chrysler did the same thing years ago.

Even today cars with knock offs may have left hand threads on the left side of the car. Same thing wheels turning tighten knock-offs.

The Toyota 1 ton axle has right hand threads on both sides, failure to correctly tighten the lock ring set screws would let axle and brake drum slowly unscrew the bearing retainers and out pops the axle and wheels. Passenger side the rotation would keep the retainers tight. Although the bearings would be over torqued and wear fast.

Any evaluation would require a careful dismantling of the passage side brakes. AND checking for marks on driver's side

Edited by WME

One of the photos shows axle, hub and brake drum all together. Cone washer failure would let the axle come out, but the hub and brake drum would still be attached to the axle housing

Edited by WME

1 hour ago, linda s said:

The splines on your axle shaft are completely destroyed. I can see some but the middle is stripped smooth. My only guess is that the mechanic didn't seat the axle properly in the housing where it meets the differential. You need a new axle. Your differential is probably destroyed too. Where are you in California. I will find you one

Linda S

That about what the trailer shop said.....I live around rialto area but by luck a Toyota guy lives near me and has the whole differential might just upgrade the rear differential to the 4.56 or 4.88 any idea what should I go with ? And how hard it would be?

5 minutes ago, linda s said:

Well you need more than just the differential.  Axle shaft and hub are messed up too. Getting someone to break down a complete full float axle for parts isn't too likely. 

My mistake I meant to say I can get the whole rear not just the differential..

6 hours ago, Cybord said:

Those are new brakes I just got them about 3 months ago a local shop did them for me

Based on your narrative it sounds like the shop that did your brakes has some major liability here.

Automatic transmission go with 4.88 axle ratio. 5 speed manual go with a 4.56. 4 speed manual no change in axle ratio

8 hours ago, fred heath said:

Based on your narrative it sounds like the shop that did your brakes has some major liability here.

x100. This was a failure that has to be taken up with the shop that did the work. Take lots of pictures and do not do any work to it until. Talk to your insurance too. Was any damage done to the side of the vehicle when it came out?

Edited by thewanderlustking

No fixing that diff! You may luck out with a scrap yard that only sold the jackpot and put your old one in the junkyard replacement. I would be knocking on the door of the shop that "fixed" it. I would love to see the akle out of the hub that would tell the story because all the evidence as to what happend is still inside. 

Edited by Maineah

23 minutes ago, thewanderlustking said:

x100. This was a failure that has to be taken up with the shop that did the work. Take lots of pictures and do not do any work to it until. Talk to your insurance too. Was any damage done to the side of the vehicle when it came out?

Thank you I've been talking to my dad who took it to them...im going to talk to the shop they were the only people who work on the R.V they adjusted the rear brakes so maybe they didn't install everything correctly idk im currently getting the R.V towed back to Cali once I get it back home im going to really look at the R.v and built a case to show the shop/prove that they messed up the only thing that bugs me is that I've drove the R.V about 3000+ miles already and I fell like the shop will not take responsibility because I've been driving it for a while.....and for the fact that I drove cross country and it been about 3 months and that I just might me trying to blame someone else.... 

Mileage shouldn’t matter. You need to have a forensic examination done by a qualified shop that works with this type of axle. Save everything!!!!!

If your still near the RV I would very much like to see a picture of the outside of the rear wheels. Would give us a better idea of what bolts sheared off and what really happen to this axle. I'm pretty sure we are all shocked that this kind of thing could happen. Never seen anything like it before on a full floater. 

You need to seriously weigh the cost to tow your vehicle back to southern California and install a new axle. It might be more than a buying a new motorhome. I do think your chances of recovering money from the shop after driving it 3000 miles are slim. Any court will assume that something that old can and will break at some point. 

If you can find a mechanic and a rear axle near where you currently are that might be the best option. 

Really sorry this happened to you. Sometimes life just sucks

Linda S

23 minutes ago, linda s said:

If your still near the RV I would very much like to see a picture of the outside of the rear wheels. Would give us a better idea of what bolts sheared off and what really happen to this axle. I'm pretty sure we are all shocked that this kind of thing could happen. Never seen anything like it before on a full floater. 

You need to seriously weigh the cost to tow your vehicle back to southern California and install a new axle. It might be more than a buying a new motorhome. I do think your chances of recovering money from the shop after driving it 3000 miles are slim. Any court will assume that something that old can and will break at some point. 

If you can find a mechanic and a rear axle near where you currently are that might be the best option. 

Really sorry this happened to you. Sometimes life just sucks

Linda S

Thank you.. it does suck but I told myself it could of been worse. I've found a complete replacement for the rear and with the help of my dad and mom uncle who both are very skilled machine and with my novice machine skills and pro flashlight hold skills we can replace it no problem. Im currently towing back to cali with a uhaul trailer combo soo far it looking good just driving 55 slow lane emergency signal on 24/7...I can't leave this motorhome behind I've put soo much money already into it...upgrade cams,upgrade Throttle body,Headers,all new yokohama tire brakes,new a.c/new fridge..ect  ill take some more pic and post more of the damage so you guys can get a even better understanding.