Location To Check Alternator Output

ToyoGuy

Yeah you've got my head spinning too. Original, the wire from the isolator to the coach battery only goes to the coach battery. Not the power center. The ground from the isolator goes to the chassis about a foot away from the isolator. Yes the wires are kind of dinky and mine broke about 5 years ago. Coach battery wasn't charging. Break was right outside where it enters the battery box and easy to find. Fixed it with slightly larger wire but don't have a clue what gauge I used. Took old to the hardware store and said give one size bigger. 

Electric is not my thing so I'm not capable of any advanced diagnosis but the Sunrader wiring is as simple as it gets. 

Linda S

Sorry Linda,

You are correct, isolator connects first through the coach battery, then to power center, in my case it's a newer Progressive Dynamics, but essentially the same in layout as original. 

On the other...

Turns out the late '84 year Rader my neighbor has is different and has an internally regulated alternator, but has the same original isolator that you pointed me to.

His wiring harness under the hood is a bit different.

My rig was not sold with that type of isolator, as I find no mounting-bracket holes existing anywhere near where it would have been installed on either fender-wall and the harness is not the same.

I have the one that you pointed to as stock on order.

Your ground statement is noted, (the old 3-connector diode isolator didn't use one at all, unless it was the mounting bolts).

I will mount one locally as needed.

On spinning, I offer you this quote that used to hang in my shop:

"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems—indeed we sometimes feel we have not completely answered any of them. The answers we have found have only served to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel that we are as confused as ever, but we think we are confused on a higher level and about more important things."

BR,

TG