Plus size girls...How about a donation?

Hi Greg,

Love the ads and all but have you thought of putting up a donation button and possibly getting rid of these ads? We've coded widgets for other forums and it would be nice to see an ad free forum. Something like this would help cover the forum cost.

Donation.JPG.ebce93c7c09174975e79cba879fe9c4e.JPG

If you haven't noticed some of these ads are malware ads, nice to pass them off to the members here to infect their machines. Hey I'd throw you a Franklin anytime, this has been such a great site and resource.

I'm not plus size I do have a beer belly if that counts.😁

1472506910_Plussizegirls.JPG.c3986318b875f53650d2a278283f4ea8.JPG

They aren't our ads. No ads from anyone are contracted to appear on this site. You can thank Google. Wherever you have been online Google will bring ads with you. I get ads from women's clothing stores I have purchased from or even looked at but also a lot of ads for MAN THINGS because I shop most for auto parts. Nope I don't need a Russian wife.

I remember one member complained about XX ads. Trouble is he must have been wandering some XX sites for the ads to show here. 

Always remember when your online they are watching you. Never click on anything anywhere that you don't recognize.

Linda S

Yes but Greg enables them on the forum, you can call them spiders or web crawlers or whatever. I know because I run several forums, here is a good example of the Google plugins you can choose to enable for a forum...

plugins.JPG.5c603e0f3a7522b9b69d74b70b01fd3b.JPG

Greg has the power to turn them off, this is in the Invision control panel for the administrator. So yes they are your ads because you have them enabled (checked the box). I'm sure Greg gets a cost break for using these plugins and I'm saying let's set up a donation to help him pay for the forum costs and get rid of them.

Gary

Edited by Gary_M

Just to reiterate, internal advertising is done by the administrator and using Google Adsense adverts and choosing where to insert the ad on the forum page. Here is how Invision software tells us how it's done. 

So yes you or Greg have the power to disable the ads, if you not sure then give me the power and I can show you how, it's that simple.

Gary

Yes, Greg does in fact allow the ads in exchange for a big yearly cost saving. The ads are limited to the top of the page, not plastered all over like some sites. The type of ad is all you.  Greg has maintained this website for years even though he hasn't even owned a Toyota motorhome in a very long time. He has tried the donation thing in the past and it was not a dependable source of support. There is a huge amount of data here all saved so we can help as many people as we can and data volume costs money. 90% or more of the questions I answer are from searching in the past. So just deal with it. This is the way it's going to be. Done deal

Linda S

Okay Linda, I was just looking out for others and wanted to offer another way. If folks here don't care to see the ads they can have an ad free forum by opening a Private Window and browsing the forum that way.

Gary

As a third option, this site could crush it with its own ads if it wanted. Is this wordpress? 

Thats not a great deal if it just gives you a break on hosting. You could sell banner space and profit. A lot. 

if you dont like your ads, turn on your interest based advertising. On iphone its a setting. 

I like it on because I actually prefer interest based. 

so I dont get plus sized sales pitches.

2 hours ago, Lucas602 said:

As a third option, this site could crush it with its own ads if it wanted. Is this wordpress? 

Thats not a great deal if it just gives you a break on hosting. You could sell banner space and profit. A lot. 

if you dont like your ads, turn on your interest based advertising. On iphone its a setting. 

I like it on because I actually prefer interest based. 

so I dont get plus sized sales pitches.

Lucas, no it's php based proprietary forum software written by Invision Community.  Looking at their hosting plans Greg

is getting seriously taken for what they charge.  Now a days you can host a forum like this for $100 per year with unlimited space.

To do the custom ads would take work and some vision,  likely no one has interest in doing so.

For the iPhone I use private browsing so I don't see the ads but the negative side is I loose any history of previous sessions.

Gary

• 1 month later...