How to best improve propane ease-of-use, and should I upgrade my POL valve?

1990 Odyssey w/original horizontal tank.  It's a drag getting it out each time, and kind of a wrestling match once it's full and kinda heavy getting it back in. And because I've had three hip replacements it would be dangerous if I ever needed to lug a full canister, even for a short distance...

It would be cool to not have to remove the tank(s) and have the propane person just hook their hose up inside the bay. Is there a way to do that w/a horizontal tank? If not, would changing to two squat vertical tanks allow them to be filled in place?

Also, do you think it's bad to keep the original POL valve? The propane guy at U-Haul said he had never seen a valve like that before, and didn't have an adapter.  But regular propane places don't blink.  So my second question is:  if I keep the POL will I have a significantly harder time getting gas while I'm roaming about in small town USA?  Is there any good reason to modernize my valve?

Thanks!

Removable horizontal tanks must be filled in the vertical position so removing it is a must. Yes, your pol valve will look different because when DOT tanks were required to change to the newer valves horizontal tanks were exempted. 

Other than installing a permanent underbody ASME tank, very expensive and there might not be a good place for one, probably the best option for you would to try to switch to 2 smaller upright tanks. Still have to pull them out to fill but at half the weight, much easier. Can you give us the dimensions of your propane compartment? I will search for best options. Your going to need a 2 to 1 regulator too. Probably not expensive and common on trailers

Linda S

Two of these should fit nicely in your space

Flame King 11 lbs. Squatty Steel Refillable Propane Cylinder with OPD Valve and Built in Gauge YSN11SQT (homedepot.com)

The valve on the tank will be a DOT approved valve but you still need a regulator between the tanks and the house. Motorhome coaches are low pressure but barbeques are high pressure.

Amazon.com: Flame King (KT12ACR6a) 2-Stage Auto Changeover LP Propane Gas Regulator With Two 12 Inch Pigtails For RVs, Vans, Trailers : Automotive

They also will need a strapping system to hold them secure. 

Linda S

Thanks Linda !

Hey, is there any market for used horizontal tanks, or are they just scrap?

Edited by daveemac

as i changed my dolphon  to this kind of set up from the same type of single type of horzontal tank. i can tell you i love it . those tanks are so much easer to lift and install. also i   removed my pol    and                                         installed a tee  and two short kwick conect conecters. new out fit one year old loving it.at 11 pounds each you get two pounds more.i just turn both on and run sam as one tank just got back from a week trip remote camping back country. you wont regrt it so easy to carry easy too put in. i am very close to 70 have pain in hips and bad hands.plus my son was getting upset because my old tank was older then the camper  1972.