Yikes! Leak need schematic '87 Sunrader

Iflyfish

I found a leak and need a schematic if someone has one of this area under the sink/stove. 

Here are pics of the area I need to picture in order to order parts.

Fingers crossed here. Water is the enemy!

Thanks,

Iflyfishdrips

Leak 1.jpg

Leak 2.jpg

Leak 3.jpg

Pretty common in these rigs, if you start looking for trouble you're gonna find things like this. 😁

Is it currently leaking? The reason I say this maybe the previous owner hooked up city water without a reducer, i.e too much pressure. If it's not leaking on internal pump then leave it alone.

Also I doubt you'll find a schematic on this setup, the manuals don't go in that detail.

Gary

It comes down to you locating the exact source of the leak. No fancy part ordering required unless it's the pump itself leaking.

Everything else can be replaced with Pex fittings from the hardware store. Your existing pipe is polybutyl, no longer made.

Pex can be joined to it with hose clamps, cheap, or sharkbite fittings, very expensive. 

Linda S

6 minutes ago, Gary_M said:

Pretty common in these rigs, if you start looking for trouble you're gonna find things like this. 😁

Is it currently leaking? The reason I say this maybe the previous owner hooked up city water without a reducer, i.e too much pressure. If it's not leaking on internal pump then leave it alone.

Also I doubt you'll find a schematic on this setup, the manuals don't go in that detail.

Gary

Thank you Gary for your thoughts.

I had no idea one needed a pressure reducer on the water intake! It leaks when I have it hooked up to city water. I have never seen a pressure reducer. Can you share a link to one of these please. 

I believe a joint may be leaking down there. I don't want the floors to rot because of this so want to do what I can to fix the problem, even if it's from too much pressure. 

Iflyfishwithdrips

That's a mistake all of us have made, including me. Campgrounds are especially notorious for high pressure water to accommodate the big rigs, never roll the dice with water pressure . Here is a pic of mine...

IMG_4774.jpg.0bddbb140f22dfba4d2578fe0c84cd5f.jpg

Gary

7 minutes ago, linda s said:

It comes down to you locating the exact source of the leak. No fancy part ordering required unless it's the pump itself leaking.

Everything else can be replaced with Pex fittings from the hardware store. Your existing pipe is polybutyl, no longer made.

Pex can be joined to it with hose clamps, cheap, or sharkbite fittings, very expensive. 

Linda S

Again, incredibly useful information from you and Gary! Thank you very much. Having a guy fix this and your input is very helpful. Do you use a pressure reducer when hooked to city water? Any idea where I might find one? Thank you very much

1 minute ago, Gary_M said:

That's a mistake all of us have made, including me. Campgrounds are especially notorious for high pressure water to accommodate the big rigs, never roll the dice with water pressure . Here is a pic of mine...

IMG_4774.jpg.0bddbb140f22dfba4d2578fe0c84cd5f.jpg

Gary

Thank you very much Gary! Do they all come with cats?

Iflyfishreduced

I never hook to city or campground water. If something springs a leak while I'm away from the camper it's a disaster because it's always on

From my fresh tank I only turn pump on when I need water. Might not notice a leak right away but even then, it will still 

be drops instead of gallons. 

Linda S

2 minutes ago, linda s said:

I never hook to city or campground water. If something springs a leak while I'm away from the camper it's a disaster because it's always on

From my fresh tank I only turn pump on when I need water. Might not notice a leak right away but even then, it will still 

be drops instead of gallons. 

Linda S

Signs of human intelligence again. Thanks Linda. 

Iflyfishwithmytoyfriends

I quit using city water too and only fill the on-board tank and use the pump. My tank is only used for gray water, I carry separate drinking water.

What is nice about using the on-board tank is you know how much is going into the waste tanks. I've seen plenty of folks overflow their waste tank at the campground not knowing the volume they put into it, what a disaster!

Gary

I always start by turning on the campground spigot slightly and eyeballing the flow, dial it in where I know it's reasonable (~40psi or less). Then I shut it off, hook up my freshwater hose, and turn handle back to same approx. position.

Maybe I'm living on the edge... 🤷‍♂️

you sure are. how far open the valve is does not vary the pressure at no flow

If you are using a pressure reducer, this is useful to take the strain off fittings.  https://www.ebay.com/p/673711311?iid=353137715497

20 minutes ago, WME said:

If you are using a pressure reducer, this is useful to take the strain off fittings.  https://www.ebay.com/p/673711311?iid=353137715497

Thank you. 

Iflyfishwithangles