Well I'm almost with 86 New World project after conquering putting a 92 22re in a 86 motorhome and having to have my mechanic figure out how to wire up the ecu.  Painted all except the cab in raptor liner 3 different colors.  Last big thing I had to do was put the 4 speed transmission in it that I had bought used.  Got it hooked up, took it on a test drive and it won't shift into 3rd or 4th gear.  Shifts smooth into 1st 2nd and Reverse but when shift to 3rd there is no grinding no noise it's just nothing.  Release the clutch after I thought it was in 3rd and it feels like neutral, same with 4th.  I have a new shifter socket and seat ordered from marlin crawler.  I have flushed and bleed the clutch with new fluid also.  And filled with the correct level of gear oil.  Anyone have any ideas.

20220717_095405.jpg

20220717_095329.jpg

20220717_095246.jpg

20220717_095227.jpg

20220717_095340.jpg

20220717_095438.jpg

If you have a shifter bushing coming try that first. Kind of remember the 4 speeds shift forks breaking the tip of the pin that holds the fork to the shift rail. The rail would move but not the fork. That unfortunately is a transmission out and apart job there is no other way to fix it.

5 hours ago, linda s said:

I don't know if this has any impact but when I search my Toyota site for a 1992 with a 22re only 5 speeds come up. What transmission did you buy

Linda S

His is a 86 either one will fit but yes a 92 would have had a 5 speed. The owner installed the 22RE.

23 minutes ago, linda s said:

Well that's why I asked. His 1992 engine had an electronically controlled tranny. Maybe it can't talk to the older 4 speed

Linda S

Ohh, good catch and his mechanic had to figure out how to wire up the ecu, that could be a clue.

16 hours ago, linda s said:

Well that's why I asked. His 1992 engine had an electronically controlled tranny. Maybe it can't talk to the older 4 speed

Linda S

I don't think this matters.  You are thinking of the automatic transmissions.  Yes, wiring up the auto, this would defiantly be there case.  But the manual transmissions do not have anything electronic inside.  Maybe a speed sensor, but nothing that would stop the mechanical bits from slipping and sliding.  

Gary_M's original response is the likely culprit.  A sudden failure after a swap is going to be either a bushing like mentioned in that thread, adjustment, or a shifter fork.  I don't know the manual Toyota setups well, but also check and see if there is any adjustment procedure for aligning the shifter.  On the old VW transmissions we would have nightmares setting up the adjustment and done wrong you could loose 3-4, 5th, reverse etc depending on how you adjusted it wrong.  Very different setup though so mostly just thinking out loud.    

Edited by thewanderlustking

Nope what you see is what you get there is no adjustment. All though he might luck out with a shifter bushing (10 minute job) the discerption fit's a broken fork bolt both 3 and 4th are on the same shift rail. There is a point on the end of the bolt it will still be in the shift rail and every thing will look fine but it won't shift you will know right away the rail will move the fork won't. Haven't had one apart since the mid 90's actually they are very easy to work on.

• Hey guys thanks for all the good information my shifter seat and socket from marlin crawler came in yesterday installed those 2 parts and it didnt fix my problem, it did get rid of the play in the shifter in 1st and 2nd gears.  I have the bushings ordered they were out of stock last week and hopefully I will be getting those soon.  I am thinking its an internal problem also with the shift forks broken or bent.  I just hate to tear into it because of the limited technical information that is available for these transmissions.  If I have to drop it out of the truck I think that I will be able to identify it from the measurements.  I had thought that someone posted all that information on the manual transmissions measurements and spline # on here.