Propane regulators

Hi everyone. I have a Toyota 86 sunrader. 

My regulator on my propane tank has gone bad. I am looking into replacing it. but.... I have regulators on each of my appliances (stove and water heater). Is it necessary to have a regulator coming off the propane tank itself? Because then the gas will be going through two regulators? I'm not sure how or if that would work and I cannot seem to find much info on it. 

Please share your knowledge. I greatly appreciate it. 

Do a little digging around with search here.  I vaguely remember seeing a mention of these simply getting stuck now and then from lack of use and that some gentle taps to them might solve the issue.  Again have a look about and see if you can verify this.  A quick google verifies this issue being common on more modern swappable tank setups, slightly different from ours but kinda the same.  Shut the valve off, give a couple gentle taps on the regulator and try opening it back up slowly see if that does it.  

DO NOT bypass this regulator.  It limits the pressure in the lines going to the appliances.  And I believe on a sudden pressure loss in the line, it will also shut off to prevent a massive leak.  The regulators at the appliances also are unlikely rated for the full tank pressures.  A dual setup like this is very commonly used for additional safety.  And to get finer control at the appliance regulators.    

No you must replace it. If they have regulators on the individual appliances, they were required for a reason.

Required is the important word. It's propane. Don't mess with the factory requirements or you could not only be endangering yourself

but possibly breaking the law. Also your gas lines and connections are not designed for high pressure gas.

Fix it. I replaced mine 

Linda S

and it is required to be a TWO 2 stage regulater. some old single stage regulaters were used . you must use a 2 stage for safty codes. my local rv repair place                                told me this . makes sense if the single diafram type goes bad 100 percent of tank pressure goes in the applances can blow up your camper.

Edited by 5Toyota