car starts tempermentally

cannante

So every once in awhile, the car will not turn over. I have been successful starting it by popping it into 1st gear when it happens...

Until this afternoon

I was. Rolling downhill, and it was in first, the weight/momentum of the car would keep it rolling for a bit but it wouldn't take any gas

Stopped at a body shop for advice, and got back in and it started on its own.

But am worried about the new development.

I could hear first gear turn the motor but the engine not starting.

Fuel pump and or electric wire corrosion is my best bet

Planning on swapping the fuel pump and prayers.

Thoughts?

Bump start in 3rd or 4. To much compression in 1st and 2.

A. Does your starter turn the engine over and it won't start?

B. Or does the starter not work at all?

A= fuel pump,,,ign coil amplifier 

B= starter solenoid, the contacter disc. Common on Toyotas...https://www.ebay.com/itm/294499462144?hash=item4491892c00:g:ajIAAOSwY8FheX7M

B= bad battery cables...bad ground

I agree it's not best to bump start in 1st. That noted it could be many things. It's hard to diagnose over the internet. Fuel pump, ground, etc. 

I do not recommend to just start replacing things but there is a duel argument for replacing the fuel pump. 1. It could be that and 2. if it's not been changed it's going to need it at some point in the future anyway. 

I’m not sure if this is your problem. But my 86 dolphin wouldn’t start. I would turn the key and just get a click like a dead battery I’d keep trying for idk 5 10 min and it would finally start always. So I got to reading and found these Toyotas were wired a** backwards when it comes to the start wire from the ignition. I was on a Toyota off-road forum and found a article on changing the starter relay over to a universal ford/Chevy starter relays. It was super easy and now my rig cranks over like I’ve never seen before. 

Edited by 86Dolphino

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2022 at 11:09 AM, 86Dolphino said:

I’m not sure if this is your problem. But my 86 dolphin wouldn’t start. I would turn the key and just get a click like a dead battery I’d keep trying for idk 5 10 min and it would finally start always. So I got to reading and found these Toyotas were wired a** backwards when it comes to the start wire from the ignition. I was on a Toyota off-road forum and found a article on changing the starter relay over to a universal ford/Chevy starter relays. It was super easy and now my rig cranks over like I’ve never seen before. 

When you say the starter relay do you mean different than the starter engine? I'm quite a novice when it comes to car things.