110 v dorm/mini fridge

86Dolphino

So I’ve been at my wits end with my propane fridge. Before I start I know a lot of you love them my brother included and they work like a charm for you and I’m jealous. Lol. Mine works great when its 70 degrees outside, but not good when it’s 98 degrees. 

so I’m ready to pull a big trigger here to change my situation. 

im planning on buying a 300ah 12 v lipo smart battery with two new 175 w Renogy flex panels. And a dorm fridge that’s advertised at 60w running power. 

im no mathematician, but that battery has like 3,840 watts of power and with 2 x 175w panels bringing in a total of 350w I shouldn’t run out of power right? I know the converter will ad about 20% to that as well. 

also this way I can shave quite a bit of weight off my rig as well. Down side is, it all comes with about a 1900 price tag. 

thanks in advance for the help. 

Have you tried putting a fan near your cooling unit. Ventilation is the key. Parking so sun doesn't shine on outside of fridge.

Once in Fresno when 113 degrees I saved my food by hanging a wet sheet over the fridge vents.

Ice cream would have melted but my food was ok. 

Linda S

Hi Linda, 

yes I have added cpu fans inside the vent area pushing air up and out. I’ve also installed little fans inside the fridge to help circulate the air. I’ve also pulled the burner and cleaned EVERYTHING. I’m just ready to have a decent fridge. I’m tired of lugging around ice chest. 

Edited by 86Dolphino

I use 2 thermostatically controlled computer fans to keep cooler air moving around the coils in the back of the refer. You can hear them starting to cut in around 80 degrees and by 95 or so they run constantly when the refer is cooling...https://www.ebay.com/str/applianceandair 

They have cooling kits and AC soft start kits.

You figures for the dorm refer are correct, Amps, watts and $$. Small good news is that you won't have to be level for the refer to work.

Before buying a dorm unit check out Marine (boat) refers some of them are 12v direct. That would element the inverter loses

Yea my cpu fans are wired to a thermostat switch as well. You know this is my 3rd fridge and non of them have worked well for me on propane. Maybe it’s this Nevada desert. It get HOT here. 

I have also checked out the marine fridges. But I think I’m going to go with the following 

VESTWOODS Smart 12V 300Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Rechargeable Battery Bluetooth Monitoring. https://a.co/d/59VtxqY 

ive watched a lot of YouTube and vestwood does have good build quality. 

the two flex panels ( to save on weight)

Renogy Flexible Solar Panel 175 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline https://a.co/d/fPs6rgr

and I’m not for sure on the fridge 

but either this on

Anukis Compact Refrigerator 3.5 Cu Ft 2 Door Mini Fridge with Freezer https://a.co/d/4ZDmgZg

but I really like this one but it uses a little mor watts 

Frigidaire EFR341, 3.2 cu ft 2 Door Fridge and Freezer, Platinum Series, Stainless Steel, Double https://a.co/d/1zINPHU

Just so you know they exist

AC/DC Custom Semi-Truck Refrigerator for commercial trucks TruckFridge

Comes in 12 volt only too for 100 less. 

They sell fast. Member of another group got on waiting list a few months ago.

They contacted him and he got one but looks like they already sold out.

Things sell out fast for a reason. They are good

Linda S

Even DC you still are using electricity to make it cool. Propane has a lot more energy than a battery.

I'm well aware of the temps in Reno and I spent much more time in the central valley of California. Way hotter and more humid.

I gotta say I never had any problems with my stock fridge keeping things cold except at the crazy temps that one time. 

My girlfriend lives near Phoenix, and she uses her fridge on propane all the time. 

Linda S

Yea my brother has the original fridge in his 93 Dolphin and says it works great.

This is my 2nd or 3rd one with just issues of never being cold enough. I can’t see spending 1200 for a new 3way when I could spend a little more and do better and double up my power maybe even run my ps5 lol (the wife would love to play zombies out camping at night before bed) 

i'm going to test mine tomorrow. it's been 105 -107 for days. i did replace the cooling system after i bought the mh

Well I ended up going with a chins 200ah smart battery with 3 100w flex Renogy solar panels and a Renogy 40a charg controller and a Renogy 1000w pure sine inverter. Cost was a lot still need a ac fridge now. 

the positive side is my old batts weight was 125.6 new batt is 48lbs. My old solar panel weight a lot at almost 30lbs new panels weigh 4.2 pounds each so 12.6 pounds. My fridge weighed like 68 pounds and I’m hoping my new one comes in a lot less. 

Well I did it. I put in a Hisense 3.3 cuft fridge. Runs extremely efficient at 34watts once cooled down. I got a Renogy 1000 watt inverter. 3 -100w Renogy flex panels and chins 200ah smart battery and I started it all up yesterday at 6:20pm and my fridge has ran all night and day my low point for the battery was down to 86% and now it’s already back up to 98% and it’s only 10:46am. 

It’s nice to open the door of my fridge and see it at 33 degrees. 

A plus too is my wife will be happy to play zombies on the ps5 at night before bed when camping lol. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

How are things working with your solar and fridge setup? It is similar to what I've been researching. Picking up my 84 Dolphin later this month and planning an interior upgrade/renovation/reworking.  Looking to live out of it full time with my dog and cat at the beach or something like that.  Anyhow, I was wondering about solar setups and specifically the fridge and also AC systems. Seems you are quite happy with your setup.  Any tips?

Working awesome.  Although I did return my 200 ah battery and got a 300ah smart battery by chins (very happy). So far running all my stuff I've hit mid 70s% on my battery. And I run my fridge my tv/dvd player all night (fall asleep to it on) always have a phone or two charging plus 1 max fan I'm a power hog. Oh and I did upgrade my solar to 500 watts I never run out of power. It's a beautiful thing.