So I was finally able to buy new tires all the way around on my 1986 Dolphin but the wheel stud integrity was already compromised noticeably on the rear passenger side and two snapped during installation of the new tires but I couldn't afford to fix them so I foolishly put it off. Giving a friend a ride a couple days ago and heard what sounded like a rock smack the side of my RV a couple times before ride got a little bumpy so I pulled over and checked only to see my passenger side tires were holding on with the last stud. I have purchased 6 new studs and nuts and I've been trying to find proper instructions for swapping them out but nothing dedicated specifically to the topic only bits and pieces for many other jobs in the same part of the axle so I was hoping that somebody might be able to provide a diagrammed instruction on how to remove and replace the lug studs as well as a list of all of the other important components that should be replaced at the same time. The tires that were on here before were from the previous owner and failed due to extreme age so I can assume that nothing else within the axle has been fixed or replaced in that same time period and the vehicle has 76,000 original miles on it. Strapped for cash at the moment I've got to keep my costume as much as possible but I need to at least get the mandatory things done as I'm going to have to be living in it for a while starting this coming week. Currently on the side of the road so whatever help I can get with information soon would be more than appreciated. Thank you all.

well first put something in front/behind your wheels to keep it from rolling and then jack up the rear axle. I Don't know your 1 ton axle (I am assuming you have a 1 ton that isn't full floating). However Not knowing how long your studs are, you might be able to get away with just taking the brake drum off, and removing hammering out each stud. then feeding the new studs in and using a lugnut to tighten down and pull them in to place. I don't know what you are looking at as you didn't give a lot of detail as to what you have under your ride. I searched for some pictures on the ih8mud forums under toyota pickups 95 and older and there are a few conversations over there about rear axles. Since i have no real information and i am just going by assumptions, you should look on youtube for installing new wheel studs on toyota trucks and see if that gives you an idea. 

I think the correct way is to remove the whole assemble and just remove the studs from a liberated axle and for that: I would assume you have four nuts on the back side of the drum backing plate that you would undo and pull the whole drum backing plate and axle assembly out of the rear diff.  But do you have a press to push the axle out of the bearing/wheel hub?? i doubt it.

if It were me in your shoes. I would pull the tires/wheels off, re move the drum and see how much room you have to work with. I am not sure you have the ability with the tools you might have to remove the axle shaft from the hub bearings and backing plate for the stud Remove and Replace so I would see if you can find a spot among the drum brake components that give you enough room to do one stud at a time. just rotate the axle to that spot and do one at a time. 

Edited by clx16
fixing spelling and stuff

left thread? better source new ones first thing.  looks to be a tapered stud.  hose the nuts with pb blaster over and over.

if you can loosen the nuts, a whack on the outside edge with a big hammer should shoot the stud out.   only a guess

impact gun would help alot.  so my idea was not so good.  always there is more to it

If you have left hand threads, just thrown in the towel and get 6 new right hand threads studs and eliminate future problems

• 11 months later...

Where can I source new studs and nuts (left hand or right hand)? The Toyota dealer has no idea where to find them. I would really like to replace them with right hand threaded units. I would appreciate any help!! Thanks!!

Lug nuts

90942-01004 - Toyota Parts Deal

Studs

90942-02056 - Toyota Parts Deal

These are the right hand ones like your passenger side.

Your local dumb Toyota dealership should be able to order them for you with the right part number

but they will be more expensive and why reward people for being dumb. Using the part number you might be able to find even cheaper online.

Linda S

Forgot a couple of things. Studs go on with washers and nut on the back

94115-71400 Genuine Toyota Nut (toyotapartsdeal.com)

90201-14006 - Toyota Parts Deal