I’m having symptoms of a bad EGR, my question is how common is a faulty EGR? I’ve taken it off and put vacuum to it and diaphragm working, not sure if the valve itself is working. Any ideas?

Runs a bit rough at idle, then when throttled up just slightly it goes away. This is what made me think the "exhaust" noise I was hearing was not a leak. Gas mileage has dropped from 12-14 to 8-10 mpg. Pulled the codes and came up with a vacuum leak code, forget which it was but ran through a bit of diagnostics and settled on EGR. Have a new one coming Friday, takes 5 mins to switch. 

I’m stumped, I swapped out the EGR, nothing different. I smoke tested the exhaust thinking it was a cracked manifold etc, nothing. I smoke tested the vacuum lines, nothing. I’m thinking it may be a lifter noise at this point. Not certain when the valves were last adjusted, I’ve put 10k miles on it. The thing that gets me is, wouldn’t the noise still be there when throttling up. Any idea’s or Input from experienced members would be greatly appreciated.

definintley  an exhaust leak. get a piece of hose  one end to your ear, move the other end around. i'm sure you'll find it quick

I agree it does sound like a misfire, but am certain it is not. The more I’m looking at it the more I believe it’s an exhaust leak on or very near the manifold. I’m sitting at a restaurant now 10 miles away and it drives finest kind, plenty of power. I thought the smoke test would show a leak in the exhaust but I’m sure that the test isn’t 100% all the time. 

have you checked your timing? you can "tune" the truck by ear and collect your mpg data to see if you have improved or eliminated the symptoms. additionally, you may want to check the condition of the distributor / rotor. if the tip is worn this could explain a few things.