No output from alternator

geejay

Recently getting the 1988 Itasca ready for a weekend trip, the charging system failed.  It worked one day and quit the next.  I can't recollect the sequence of events that led up to the failure. It may have failed AFTER I hooked up the house battery, But the condition remained after unhooking the house battery.  What happened was the alternator dash light is on.  I was getting no voltage from the alternator battery terminal.  Changed alternator.  Still no voltage there.  I understand that a 1988 should be internally regulated.  I also understand that there needs to be voltage INPUT to the alternator to make it work.  There is a 4 wire plug in and I am getting voltage there but only about 7 volts.  Is that right?  Should I assume the new alternator is bad?  I did not have the old one bench tested nor the replacement (which is re-manufactured).  Coincidentally the fuse for the other dash circuit indicators/directionals was blown.  I replaced that but still no charging.  Any thoughts for this Monday morning headache?  (By the way, my weekend trip was cancelled and I drank all the beer at home...) 🤪

Everything works fine on shore power. And I have not tried to rehook up the house battery to check my connections.  Has been raining out until now...

P.S. I have been looking through the forum for clues but thought i would throw this out there.  My main head scratching is the input voltage which I never knew about before...

Thanks.

Testing my memory, I believe there is a fuse for the alt. exciter. Does the big alt. terminal show matching battery voltage?