New problem - door lock/handle

Plain Jane

Before I get anything else done I'd like to fix my coach door lock on my '87 Dolphin. Two problems:

1) the handle broke off on the inside, though the part that turns is still there. The lock works fine but the rough edge where the handle broke off hurts my hand when I turn it.

2) I do not have the key. My solution up until now has been to unlock the cab door, climb between the seats into the coach, and unlock from the inside.

I'd settle for getting a new key but would rather solve both problems at once.

Can I buy any new RV lock and key assembly, or will only some kinds work? Brands? Is it easy to do?

TIA

PJ

Edited by Plain Jane

A pic of your door lock? Can't find parts unless we know what it is. From online pictures it looks like it might be a Bargman L300. They were discontinued long ago but if you Google Bargman L300 replacement you will find several companies that make locks that are supposed to fit the same cut-out hole. 

Linda S

In need of Bargman door handle replacement

This is precisely what happened to mine, and it's the same door handle. If I could just replace the handle and get a key, I wouldn't have to risk getting the whole assembly (like this, for $150) and then not being able to install the complicated innards. Since I have a lock that works, I don't really want to mess with it.

Thanks,

PJ

Use a small (6-8”) set of vise grips for a substitute handle until you can find one.

Good thought, Fred. I'd been keeping a set of pliers by the door for that, but knew there was something better out there.

As for the key, If I found a blank for that lock, could a locksmith cut a key for it?

Thanks for suggesting pictures, Linda, because it made me take a good look at the door. It turns out I've got an Elixir lock, separate from the handle assembly. All I need is a key. No code, though, that I can see. Any ideas of where to look? eBay?

Okay, contacted Elixir and a couple of other wholesalers. No luck there - I think they only deal with businesses, not private individuals. I googled "Elixir master key" and found a few mobile home supply companies, but again they're wholesalers. They have the right item and it's cheap, but I'd have to buy at least 20 of them! Tried eBay too but nothing came up with Elixir. Any other suggestions, anyone?

I once bought a used file cabinet without the key. I ordered one from some place and it was quick and cheap; worked fine. Anybody know of a business like that?

TIA

PJ

A locksmith would replace the lock cylinder. Probably a few that would fit at your local hardware store. Installing a completely new lock isn't that hard. Just 2 parts, inside and outside. All the mechanisms are attached to the outside then the inside fits into place and is screwed in. To find a lock that would fit you need to remove the old one and find the cut out size. Then search for RV lock with those measurements. We still haven't even seen what your lock looks like have we? Hard to help when blind. The handle isn't really enough

Linda S

Your location is jumping around. If you are traveling your passing lots of RV repair places. Camping World Windom looks like it's 20 minutes away. They have locks. They can install them. Plenty of other places that would install your water pump and fix your roof. Find the help you need instead of driving past it

Here's the lock. My location is Jamestown, NY. It is an hour and a half from the closest Camping World in Buffalo, and there's a Gander near there too. Also everyone is booked up into September. I also work full-time, so by the time I could drive past, not to mention go in, the stores would be closed. This will be my first free weekend in three weeks.

I do what research I can online during my lunch hours. Right now I'm focusing on the lock problem because it's an obstacle to my doing other work on the camper. I keep the cab locked because I live near downtown in an area that I'd describe as only moderately secure.

I would love to pay a teenager to do the roof vent, but don't want to put a youngster at risk, in case the roof really is as unstable as the non-professional in NC said it was (he refused to get up there). Hence the other repair I'm looking for - a rubber roof.

And last, I don't have a lot of money. Sorry to bring up the unmentionable. I traveled last weekend and the weekend before and spent a fortune on gas, which on my routes hovered around $5 per gallon.

Don't mean to whine, but gathering what information I can until I can actually afford stuff and get out there and work on it. Thank goodness it's Friday and payday. Woohoo!

PXL_20220607_004719183.PORTRAIT.jpg

That lock is a standard (house) deadbolt lock. The brand is a cheap knockoff of a kwikset lock sold by Home Depot.

Buy a replacement lock, remove the two screws on the rear that hold the old lock to the door. Separate the halves (leave the backset in place) install new lock reverse of removal.

You now have a replacement lock with 2 new keys for about $10.

You don’t need a true kwikset. Cheapest brand that uses kwikset key will work. 

Edited by fred heath

by the looks of it the screws are too long. might have to cut them down

Screws are “case hardened “. Most deadbolt cylinders come with a spacer for narrow doors. The spacer is missing from her old lock. New one should have it.

Thanks, Fred, for your instructions on the lock. It did look like a standard door lock to me but I'd never heard of Elixir before so I thought it was something fancy and RV-specific.

It looks to me like whoever put it in used some random wood screws for it, hence the points sticking out of it on the front. Wouldn't they normally be machine screws? So, I'm guessing I should keep the spacer? Also do I have to replace the strike plate or will the new lock work with what's in there if the current one works fine?

Head to your local big box store. 

Here is an Ebay replacement...https://www.ebay.com/itm/403419307429?hash=item5dedaa1da5:g:ndEAAOSwIqtfPOnD

Current strike is fine. You only need to buy a kwikset style lock if you want to keep your existing backset (which you should do).

Otherwise any deadbolt will work. Schlage and kwikset are the two primary manufacturers. Others are all knockoffs of those two.

Hello all,

Thanks for your advice. I'm sure I can figure out a new Kwikset-style lock. Can't wait not to be climbing into the back from the cab!

However, everything is theoretical right now because: 1) Vapor started pouring out from under the hood and I had to pull over and get it towed to what will be its permanent home in a few months, 30 minutes away; and 2) My regular car has a date with the mechanic and I can't even drive out there until it gets fixed (a repair I've been putting off).

Sigh, every time I think I'm ready to work on it again, something comes up! I think the vapor came from some leaking transmission fluid - hope it's nothing major. But thanks for your help - at least I know how to do it when I can get over there. And there's even a ladder I can borrow there!!!

PJ