Window shattered

ports

Yesterday when cutting the grass, I noticed that the rear window on my 1994 Winnebago Micro Warrior was shattered.  I am assuming it happened because of the heat.  There is a magnifier on that window and I suppose that has something to do with it.  Just had everything ready for the camping season.  Contacted an RV glass company and they said they could get an entire replacement but it would take 8 to 10 weeks.  Want to finally get out and use my baby since I didn't during the pandemic.  I need help.  What can be done temporarily that I could still use it?  How do you go about removing the entire back window structure?  There are Valances around the window that I need to remove.  I also noted that this window is used as an emergency escape by pulling the red chord.  Is there any way if the window is removed that I could get it fitted with something temporarily so I can enjoy my motorhome.  I have turned to all the expertise on this site for help and desperately need some now.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Hope to get some suggestions so I can get busy and get this fixed.  Everything else on the toy is great and raring to go.  Thanks Ports

Escape windows are often standard sizes. Measure it and I will see if I can find one at an online store. The window frame unscrews either from the inside or out. You might have to remove and insert trim if it's on the outside to see it. Inside you can usually see the screws. You just unscrew the trim ring whether it's inside or out and pry the window out. Putty knife along the edge to loosen it. 

Have no idea how to remove the valances but take your time and you will figure it out. 

Linda S

Question, it shattered like jagged glass? It should have been tempered glass and break into not sharp edges 

Also give me exact model of your rig

Linda!  Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!  You have been a big help to me and so many on this site and we thank you for that.  The screws are on the inside and most are easily accessible.  The couple toward the top I can not get out without removing the valences but I will figure that out.  I am assuming that the window pushes out to remove.  I should remove the entire frame and not pull the red tape to remove the window in an emergency.  There is  black molding around the outside of the window.  It was tempered glass that looked like a spider web and when I bumped it several small pieces came out with most of the other pieces still together.  I will have to remove them so I don't have glass all over the inside of the motorhome.  The model is 1994 WT321RB.  I just talked to a glass place close to where I live and he told me if I could get the frame out they would be able to do something even if it is plexiglass for a temporary fit so I can get out and use it.  I would like to get it fixed correctly in the future so if you can check for me that would be greatly appreciated. I have something that I must do today so will not be able to get to the window until tomorrow.  I will measure it for you.  When I put the window back in what type of caulking must I use around the frame?  Thanks for your help. Ports

Linda.  I got the window out yesterday and took it to a local shop that will put plexiglass in so I can use it.  They can get me tempered glass but it will take a couple of weeks.  I think I will use the plexiglass and then when the season is over have them order the tempered glass to be put in.  I looked on the Winnebago site that I have saved with parts and the escape window measures 22x24.  I do have one question.  When I put the window back in is dicor butyl tape good to use as a sealant?  I have some.  The gentleman at the glass place told me to leave it out in the sun so it softens a bit before I apply.  I cleaned the camper surface and got all old caulk off and scraped as much off the window frame as I could.  The gentleman at the glass place said it was good.  Thank you for your help. Ports 

I have a similar age Itasca Spirit (same as the Winnebago Warrior) and had a similar issue with the side window a few weeks ago. I could not find anyone here in Austin who would replace the glass. I used a sheet of plexiglass (acrylic I think?) from Home Depot and with a lot of care cut it to size myself. I think this may end up being the permanent repair as it looks the same and is weather proof. The window no longer opens but I have never opened that window! I hope your repair works out for you!

Edited by neilp