Hi everyone! It's my first time posting here.

I have a 1990 Toyota dolphin AT 2WD. The transmission started to fail few days ago. I'm looking for used transmissions. I found a few...in some adds says for extra cab no weight specific, others say for 1/2 ton...and I'm a bit lost. I don't know if the transmission for Toyota pickup 1/2 ton and 1 ton are the same..

Is there,maybe, anyone who knows if I need a transmission for 1 ton? Or...I can use whatever from a 1990?(it would be 2wd, and from a V6, obviously)

Thanks a lot, I'm advance.

Will.

I believe they are both the same. Those are pretty tough transmissions rebuilder near by?

Thanks for answering that fast Maineah.

I went to a transmission shop to try to rebuild it, but they told me they can't find parts to fix that tranny.

Then I found some online but none for a 1990 toy 1 ton...i call Toyota, i talked to a mechanic, he says a 1/2 ton will fit, but he said also that maybe the computer could have problem to recognize it or something like that...

It sound weird to me because is the part is the same but the code is not...why they put an other code? 

As far as I guess (maybe I'm totally wrong) the difference between the toy pickups 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton would be the parts that are directly related to the weight... suspension, brakes and i don't know what else...maybe different frame, different steering system but not the engine neither the transmission.. correct me if I'm wrong please.

Also..if it's true what the Toyota guy says, and the computer would be the problem, i guess I could switch the computer for one from a 1/2 truck? 

Because...if I need an automatic transmission for a Toy90 1 ton pickup, they are quite impossible to find. For 1 ton I found some manual transmission but only brand new...😱

So my options are...

-Buy the 1/2 a ton AT and prey.(I'm already trying this step)

-Or buy a 1 ton manual that is brand new, and all the other stuff (clutch, cylinders,pedal, floor shifter, make a hole)🤯

Thanks again!

He just needs to remove one part from your old transmission and put it into the new one. Any A340E will do but needs to be from a truck 1989 to 1995. It's the part that talks to the computer and it's easily removed

89411-22061 - Toyota Parts Deal

It's mounted on the driver's side of the transmission case. Outside so no reason to open the case

The one on your old one is probably still good and they are discontinued so no way to get a new one. 

A 1 ton truck is not the same as the dual wheel model. Different computer so work with what you have

Linda S

In case he needs a diagram. Part line leads to from 89411C

321130_8410_0003.png

By the way. I can't find the parts is a weak excuse for not rebuilding your tranny. I found dozens of rebuild kits available online like this one from a highly respected company

A340E Transmission Master Rebuild Kit A340F A341E A343E A340 V4AW3 Stock HD HP Overhaul : Oregon Performance Transmission

Linda S

Just tell them your grandma found it, jerks

That is a very popular transmission variant used in every rear wheel drive Toyota. If they can't find it it's only because they are not looking. Lookup ATRA transmission in your neighbor hood they are independent shops and have nation wide members to stand behind their rebuilds. Switching to a manual would be quite a task. They had some issues with governor bores but that was reparable.

To be accurate and to try to explain properly my situation i wanna let u know that I just bought this vehicle and the last owner supposedly changed the transmission a month ago. I might have been ripped off because mechanic is not up to even check it out but that's a different story.

Therefore I am not sure if transmission wasn't actually changed or they didn't do it properly.My doubt is that i m not sure if the sensor that i have right now is the original one. I have read in a different post (

Cresida AT 3.0

https://www.hollanderparts.com/used-auto-parts/1990/toyota/cressida/transmission/400-transmission/400-59149b-at,-w-o-abs/part-161805-1988-1Thanks

Toyota pickup 3.0 AT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115369896126

I already got this one, but..if the cresida arr cheaper and will came with the sensor, I can cancel the order and get one from a junkyard with the sensor, in case  this is missing.

Thanks a lot Linda and Maineah I feel so lucky receiving counseling from 2 experts like you all. 

Also after reading your post, i talked to mechanic and he said that he doesn't have the transmission to recover that part..then i started looking online, i know you told me that part is discontinued, but i found that Toyota Dubai..i don't know if part codes are worldwide for Toyota, i guess they are but not sure.. also

how much would you all trust a official Toyota Dubai service? Do you think this add maybe accurate and they have those sensors?

https://toyotadxb.com/spare-parts/toyota/sensor-speed-8941122060/

Thanks!!

Wait a minute. He already removed your transmission and discarded it? WTF

I know of the place in Dubai and they are reputable and charge a very reasonable price for shipping. 

Good searching, they didn't come up for me. But warning, you might get an email back that they did not actually have it in stock.

Give it a try for sure

Linda S

Who is this guy so we can warn others. 

Your in California and the trannie guy made you buy the transmission? Again WTF. There are more Toyota parts available at salvage yards in California than any other state. Probably dozens of correct transmissions within driving distance so no shipping. Where are you. Let me take a look

Linda S

The thing is that i just bought it and the seller supposedly changed the tranny, with a random guy Daniel in Grass Valley, he has no shop,he is ahome mechanic, supposedly.

i talked to daniel and he is saying bullshits..like..i should have put more tranny fluid... me? It's your job To fill he fluid until the right level!!

Are you kidding me?😂

So I'm not that sure if he changed the tranny, actually I'm not so sure if he is a mechanic, or just a guy.. 

Then when I broke on the road, I ask triple a to bring me to Mel's Transmission in Grass Valley..they couldn't find part for the tranny...suuuuuuure!

Then, coming back to the matter...

Yes I'm in California, I'm close to Redding, if you would find anything will be awesome!!

Thanks again Linda, you disserve the heaven! 

Just to avoid confusion i was i Grass Valley, now I'm by Redding. And...maybe I'm out of service until Saturday, I'll try my best to reach all your info but I'm can't assure that until then. Thanks a lot!!!