'87 Dolphin joining me in NY - decisions

Plain Jane

Hello all,

Taking the Memorial Day weekend to fly down to NC, then driving my camper back up to Western New York at a leisurely pace so I don't put a strain on the old lady's engine. Weighing the pros and cons of a couple of things:

1. The awning frame came off the camper last summer. The awning was worn thin and torn, but the rolling mechanism and the frame work fine. The frame just has to be mounted again (and the old awning replaced with a new one). Should I bring it with me and try to have it repaired, or fuhgeddaboutit?
  2. Thunderstorms predicted on the route, and haven't repaired the roof yet (it leaks). Right now the roof is covered by a tarp fastened with about 8 bungees, but I'm thinking that will fly off at 50-55 mph, which is as fast as I can go. Happy to entertain other solutions, but won't have time to repair or set up anything Saturday before I leave with the camper. I'll have a picture of the tarp covering the roof tomorrow, but nothing right now. Any physicists/people with lived experience out there to give me input on this?

TIA,

Plain Jane

Definitely bring the awning. Replacement awning fabric can be bought fairly cheaply, and you can probably install at least the fabric yourself. Probably need help to reinstall the frame. Give me make and length and I will try to find you a deal

No tarp is going to stay on while driving. Do you know where it leaks or is it undetermined. If it's a certain place roofing tape would do the trick

Eternabond RV Mobile Home Roof & Leak Repair Tape 3" x 50' Roll White Authentic | eBay

Home Depot and Lowes have equivalent products. 

Not so easy to get off though so do it neatly.

If undetermined you're going to have to stop and tarp when it rains. Not easy to do

Or just go for it and hope because you're moving most of the rain will blow off before it sinks in. 

Do retarp when your stopped for the night

Linda S

I know approximately where the leak is, but won't have the time to apply the tape before I leave, especially as I won't have a ladder. So it looks like I'll have to just hope the rain won't accumulate. Oddly, this site doesn't forecast any precipitation for the route on Saturday. 

I've got a manual for the awning in the camper, so I'll post the dimensions when I'm with the camper again. I stored the frame under my deck and I'm hoping snakes and spiders haven't taken up residence in the hollow parts! 

PJ

Your going to need to fix the roof. Do you have a ladder at "home"? If not buy a Wal-mart ladder and use tape to do a quick patch. The ladder will travel inside RV easily.

I've ordered the tape to arrive before I get there, and asked a neighbor if she has a ladder. That's the best I can do for now. I've got a folding stepstool but I don't think it's tall enough - or I guess I'm not tall enough, haha. The roof leak is just to the left of the cabin door.

Sounds like a plan. Pretty can happen after you get back to the nest.

Hello all,

Just an update - I'm on the third leg of my journey to NY and am only 3.5 hours away. A few hiccups, though:

• I was not able to take the awning frame because I couldn't get it into the camper at any angle. If my daughter could dismantle it I might be able to take it in my car when I visit at the end of June.
  • No time to fix the roof, but the weather has been gorgeous all weekend so no risk of leaking.
  • A non-professional claiming to be a professional got halfway through installing a water pump in March and then abandoned the job, so I couldn't connect even city water to the camper. I offered him payment to finish the job but he had work scheduled for a bigger fish in Raleigh so he just left.

Other than that it's been fun and the truck drives fine!

Thanks for your help,

PJ

A water pump is 2 hand tighten hose fittings (almost universal in most RV) electrical is 2 wires.

Depending on the make the big problem is getting to the thing.

When your home, take a photo and post it. We will get you going.

Here's a picture of what is left. He did wire the pump and connect one pipe (the pump isn't in the picture). The opening that you see in the picture has no string on the outside to screw something on. Just to test it I attached a hose to the city water connector on the outside, and predictably the water shot out of the opening.

The guy did tell me I needed a "T" that goes to a 1/2 inch (the line is 5/8 inch). I ordered something from New York without seeing what was there (he was long gone), but I don't think I got the right thing. I'm assuming that is meant to replace the piece with the opening. In getting the camper ready to travel, I tried to find something just to cap the opening, but couldn't find anything.

TIA for any help,

PJ

IMG_20220528_114930_01.jpg

Need more photos.

But, I 'm guessing that is the output line for the pump. One way is cold water to facets and the other is to the water heater. It looks like the T is broken.

Follow the lines and see where they go.

Your lines appear to be a discontinued product (polybutyalene) and replacing the T will be fun.

Google sharkbite fittings.

You may need to do some splicing. The fittings you have have a flair that goes inside the line and then a crimp ring seals it.

The Shark bite goes on the outside. After you cut the old T out I don't know if the bite is wide enough to seal on unmolested tubing. Thus possible splices.

Could a regular plumber work on this? Would be a lot easier to find and schedule, in this area. Sorry, I know this is a DIY forum, but I've never spliced anything in my life. Does that mean joining the pipes together? What materials do I need besides the T? Attached is a picture of the T that I thought would work. It does have the dimensions that my guy specified: 5/8" line to a 1/2". As you can see, though, no string on any of these openings either.

Rain Bird EFT25-1PS Drip Irrigation Easy Universal Tee, Fits All 1/2" and 5/8" Tubing, Black 

Edited by Plain Jane
Added info

The T you posted looks like it might work. Use a Dremel tool to cut off the rings and see if you can remove the broken T without damage to the hose. A hacksaw blade may also work to cut the rings. The T seals inside the hose, but try not to damage the outside of the old hose.

Ya this could be regular plumber stuff, got a local RV repair shop? Also try for Craig's List for a Mobile RV repair person.

Something like this will work if you need to bypass that 1/2” opening. Although the pipe is nominal 1/2” you will have better fit with the 3/8” unit.

Or buy both 3/8&1/2” and use whichever one seals the best. Sometimes the 1/2” can be too large for the pipe.

https://www.google.com/search?q=3/8"+rubber+winter+plug.&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#oshopproduct=gid:18273379352810279106,mid:576462666202635308,oid:3568992437866993113,iid:511174473516903291,rds:UENfMTgyNzMzNzkzNTI4MTAyNzkxMDZ8UFJPRF9QQ18xODI3MzM3OTM1MjgxMDI3OTEwNg%3D%3D,pvt:hg&oshop=apv

when you say strings are you refering to the threaded part?  the t you posted is for drip irrigation. ace hardware has nylon tees that you could use hose clamps on.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, @extech, I mean thread. @WME, that ebay site looks like exactly what I need.

Another question: Is it possible to install a vent, the whole assembly with lid, from the inside without getting on the roof? My non-pro insisted it was impossible. Of course that makes me want to do it all the more.

Thanks,

PJ

Oh, and @fred heath, thanks for your site too. I knew something like that existed but had no idea where to look, and of course there wasn't time to get it delivered when I needed it last weekend. It would be fine temporarily until I can manage to get the pump installed.

vent has to be sealed to the roof from the top

i use dicor brand rv roof sealer  too seal the edges and all the screws. sorry but you have to get on the roof to install and seal it down. and DO NOT use siliconeon your rv

Edited by 5Toyota

• 2 weeks later...