Just bought a 78 Chinook- Fiberglass roof cracked

EnJ

Just bought a 1978 Chinook and wanting to try to repair/ fix it up myself as much as possible. I am very new to this, so any advice and knowledge is very much appreciated. The fiberglass roofing is cracked, what’s the best approach to fixing something like this? 

D2741BEA-5943-4178-BF89-408B930C615C.jpeg.2347d56f9fb5c03e2e6af4ee08a6e4cb.jpeg7E4F08CA-AB28-4EC6-940C-F0F5A9CF1B90.jpeg.d4a47afa4ff09e76ce28b14ef750bda3.jpeg

Very cracked. Unfortunately, I think you need to remove the roof. Turned over the roof will lay flatter and also take the weight off the cracks. Only way I can see you ever getting it lined up nicely. Then fiberglass from the inside. Use some strong tape to stabilize it for moving. Try this site. A couple of the guys have removed their roofs for repair in the past. Maybe someone will give you some pointers

toyotachinook@groups.io | Home

Linda S

That amount of repair is above what most owners would be capable of doing. Before removing the roof take it to a boat repair yard or somewhere where they do fiberglass repairs. Ask the best way to go about it. You might find it’s cheaper just to source a replacement top somewhere else. There are many chinook owners out there that could also give you support. Google chinook parts and see what pops up(no pun intended 🙂).

My fear is once you remove the top, you might not get it to fit back on correctly. Good luck,  Fred.

• 2 weeks later...

my son bought a scamp pulltrailer wit h very simuler problem shed fell on it . they are molded fiber glass. like a chinook. he was able to fix his . but yes he had experance working with glass cloth and reason