1985 5 lugs axle swap to 1987 6 lug full floating axle

Hello Folks,

First Post.

I picked up a 1985 Toyota Motorhome up here in BC, Canada that has the bad 5 lug rear axle . It has the 22RE engine with 90,000Km.

Luckily I came just across a 1987 Toyota motorhome 58,000 miles that the owners were going to be a rebuild but they gave up on it. It has the 6 lugs axle (see attached pics). It has a different V6 engine.

My questions are:

1) Would the different engine impact the driveshaft or any other connections for the rear axle swap?

2) What measurements should I take to make sure the new axle fits? Is it just the width between the leaf springs?

3) Should I swap out the front axle as well?

IMG_8219.JPG

IMG_8218.JPG

Edited by Mattejennings

if your present u joint fit the new axle you're good. distance between spring perches needs to be the same.

if you don't grab the front spindles and wheels, brakes etc, you'll have to carry either two spares or only a front. the 6 lug fronts are in demand.  i'm looking for some myself

total axle length is a concern also

Everything can be made to fit even if adjustments are needed.

That is a desirable package. FF axle, correct wheels and front 6 lug hubs.

If you have storage space and the price is reasonable, I’d buy the complete package. Many body parts and electrical will interchange with your unit. Beats the alternative of trying to source axle and wheels.

Hello again folks,

Can someone tell me exactly what I should take off the front of this rig so that I can use the 6 lug wheels? wheels and brakes were mentioned as well as spindles. Are the spindles necessary?

Keep in mind that I will have to swap what ever I take off with what is on my motorhome as we are going to convert this one into a flat deck.

i believe(others might chime in) that the brakes are bigger so the spindles are needed for the brake mounting.  the master cylinder may be different also

I don't know. I still have 5 lugs in the front. The front brakes are different, but they fit in the same calipers. You can search the site for others who have done it. Members I can think of are Totem and Zero. I'll try looking tomorrow and see if I can find a better explanation too. You guys all need to get up to snuff on searching the site. Everything is on here somewhere. I'm old. Not going to be here forever. 

Linda S

2 hours ago, linda s said:

I don't know. I still have 5 lugs in the front. The front brakes are different, but they fit in the same calipers. You can search the site for others who have done it. Members I can think of are Totem and Zero. I'll try looking tomorrow and see if I can find a better explanation too. You guys all need to get up to snuff on searching the site. Everything is on here somewhere. I'm old. Not going to be here forever. 

Linda S

Linda,

You have spoiled everybody here. Lazy folks just wait for your answer.

You can’t go anywhere yet. We all need you. 👍

Check the bolt pattern on the rotor. I think the 85 uses a standard 5 bolt setup and the 87 1 ton has a 6 bolt rotor AND a 6/6 bolt adapter. So you would need to swap the rotor. 

For others looking at this the BIG brakes started in 89 so you would have to swap everything and get a new MC.

P.S. There is a unicorn rare factory 5/6 steel adapter. In 25 years I have seen 2.

Edited by WME