Thinking of going another route........

Posted (edited)

Was thinking, maybe I can just go the route of a cab over camper as it's been a bit difficult finding an older Toyota Motorhome rig in a good enough condition within a certain price point.  My question is, what Toyota truck (model/year) would be the best fit for this? (Would like to stick to Toyota)  Also short bed or long bed?  Sliding window in the back IS A MUST so I can make a hasty escape should danger come my way while camping in the middle of nowhere, so which model truck has the biggest rear sliding window?  I don't know how people do it, camping in a separate trailer with no access to a quick getaway.  Anyway, what would you recommend?  I'm not talking these 40-50 thousand dollar newer trucks as I don't have money trees in my backyard... but something affordable for now so I can be part of the cool Toyota RV life!  Gnome-sayin'?  😎

Edited by Toyota_RV_Racer

Ya got to stop with this danger stuff. We're not camping in the inner city. Exactly how is it escaping if your just climbing into your camper. This old lady can break through almost any camper door, easily. Besides your not getting through the back window on anything but a newer Tundra

Have you even looked at any campers that fit small trucks. Not readily available and prices can be as high as a complete motorhome.

Do research first so you can ask smart questions. 

Search truck bed sizes

Payload capacity

Camper that will fit toyota etc

Posted (edited)

lance makes some small pop up pickup campers i i have no idea the price , i know some one who has one on a toyota truck, never been in it . they take motor bikes behind the truck. i am talking about the small toyota truck.

Edited by 5Toyota

I was thinking those mid-90's Tacoma...... but I'm not sure if the rear sliding window is big enough for me to fit through.  And do you think I would need the bigger version, SR5 or whatever with XTRA Cab?  They seem to be lifted and more robust which I'm assuming can carry a heavier load?  Anyway,  I saw a few older Lance campers that are in good shape selling for pretty cheap, so this could be an awesome 'budget build'.  

1/2 ton is a 1/2 ton. how it sits doesn't correspond to load capacity

4 hours ago, extech said:

1/2 ton is a 1/2 ton. how it sits doesn't correspond to load capacity

So.... can a 1/2 ton carry a regular full size cabover camper?  Complete with everything, including (but not limited to)........ sink, toilet, stove, shower, flat screen TV, Dolby Digital 7.1 DTS surround sound system w/ Atmos, a Shrek pinata, 2 RC cars, snow chains, emergency roadside kit, fire extinguisher, and a partridge in a pear tree?  What I'm trying to say it, will a 1/2 ton pickup be able to carry enough excess items that may or may not be necessary?  Or should I have a weight-saving kinda mindset to where I'm eating and drinking from paper plate and cups, shaving every ounce that I can as though I'm lining up at the dragstrip racing one of John Force's daughter?  

Most import trucks cannot hold a full sized camper. Small ones were made but they are rare. I searched the entire west coast on Craigslist and found 2. 1 old one in Oregon for a reasonable price and 1 newer one in Sacramento for just under 14 grand. Regular sized camper and your going to need a newer Tundra or an American big truck.  No import campers have bathrooms and most are pop up

Linda S 

I think I may have found my vehicle of choice if I am to go this route....... the Toyota T100!  It has a sliding rear window too, and check this out, it has the LEGENDARY '3400 Four Cam 24' AKA 5VZ-FE in the last iteration model year of the T100 (95-98).  And yes, it is a 1 ton chassis I believe.  

Linda S.... are you gonna copy my style now? 😁

on the older small toyota late 1980s the four wheel drive is much heaver built then the 2 wheel drive. i can get through my slider window on my empty 884WD . i am a person who can lock my keys inside. LOL.thats how i know i can go through it  but i did say an empty truck.

My pick for a pickup for this would be a first gen Tundra with the v8. Honestly I think you'de be missing out on the experience though, having a 17-21ft coach on a dually mini toy is like 50% of the fun.

Have any of you actually priced these things? I have a 2011 Tacoma I could sell it tomorrow for $4000 more than I paid for it new. Yeah it's in nice shape with 130K on it but... Top of the line new one is 35K+ the used prices right now are out of sight and sellers know that. Also be advised the older Toyota's were also prone to frame rot. 

On 5/11/2022 at 7:24 PM, Toyota_RV_Racer said:

I think I may have found my vehicle of choice if I am to go this route....... the Toyota T100!  It has a sliding rear window too, and check this out, it has the LEGENDARY '3400 Four Cam 24' AKA 5VZ-FE in the last iteration model year of the T100 (95-98).  And yes, it is a 1 ton chassis I believe.  

Linda S.... are you gonna copy my style now? 😁

Not all T100 were one ton, they had some frame rot issuers too. 3.4L was a step up, my 4L Tacoma was even better with a 6500 LB towing capacity. You can probably pick up a older used one for 15-16K with only 200,000 miles on it