Hey yall, 

I've been looking around at other posts, but I wasn't able to 100% answer my own question(s):

What are spare tire/wheel options for a 6 lug front setup? I'd like to only carry the single under body mounted spare if possible.

It's a 1987 4x4 Sunrader. It has the 6 lug rear axle and also, from what I read here, the factory 6 lug fronts that began in 1987.

*With all that said, I have also noticed the lug nuts are different sizes front vs rear. Would this pose an issue using the body mounted spare that is for the rear axle/duallys?

So I guess this is a 2 part question - The lug sizes front vs rear and if it's possible to use the rear designated spare on the front using spacers of some sort. I've seen some photos around the web but wasn't sure what to search for really.

Thanks so much - I'm still due to introduce the truck and myself to the forum, but I'm sort of waiting until it's back from the shop getting the clutch sorted out.

sunrader.jpg.cbeab4419f3b18e2822e1e5b35348fb5.jpg

Unfortunately, there was never an adapter made for the 4x4's. Your rear axle has been upgraded to the full float with m14 lugs but your front is still the standard Toyota 4x4 wheel and lug pattern with M12 lugs. Your only option would be to find someone who could make an adapter that would fit

Custom and Commercial might be able to do it. They are the people who made your 15 inch dually wheels. You're also going to need to order 2 more wheels 

Dual Wheels — Custom and Commercial Wheel

Explain that the adapter needs to be the same depth as the motorhome ones. If you end up talking to Ray tell him he's a legend and any other compliments you can think of. Might help getting what you want. 

Linda S

2 minutes ago, linda s said:

Unfortunately, there was never an adapter made for the 4x4's. Your rear axle has been upgraded to the full float with m14 lugs but your front is still the standard Toyota 4x4 wheel and lug pattern with M12 lugs. Your only option would be to find someone who could make an adapter that would fit

Custom and Commercial might be able to do it. They are the people who made your 15 inch dually wheels. You're also going to need to order 2 more wheels 

Dual Wheels — Custom and Commercial Wheel

Explain that the adapter needs to be the same depth as the motorhome ones. If you end up talking to Ray tell him he's a legend and any other compliments you can think of. Might help getting what you want. 

Linda S

That all makes sense, Linda. Thanks so much. Great info on the lugs too.

Perhaps the most reasonable option, sans the loss of space + extra weight, would be to mount an additional spare, aye?

I'm guessing I could find another similar M12 6 lug 15" wheel relatively easily with some searching, right? 

Maybe mount it on the ladder.

Yes a standard Toyota 4x4 wheel is easy to find. I'm surprised that your only spare is a dually. Should be the other way around. You can drive a very long way if a rear tire blows just by taking the flat tire off and driving with one single in the back until you can get to a service station. I have gone as far as 200 miles because I'm really stupid and think I can do anything. 

No wheel and tire on ladder or you will have no ladder for long. The only thing I mount on my ladder is a couple of very light lawn chairs. 

Show me that back of your camper. I forgot what's there. 

Where is your propane door. You need to fix that. Maybe cut out a peace of white plexi to fit. Forgot what my hinges look like I'll have to check.

Linda S

3 minutes ago, linda s said:

Yes a standard Toyota 4x4 wheel is easy to find. I'm surprised that your only spare is a dually. Should be the other way around. You can drive a very long way if a rear tire blows just by taking the flat tire off and driving with one single in the back until you can get to a service station. I have gone as far as 200 miles because I'm really stupid and think I can do anything. 

No wheel and tire on ladder or you will have no ladder for long. The only thing I mount on my ladder is a couple of very light lawn chairs. 

Show me that back of your camper. I forgot what's there. 

Where is your propane door. You need to fix that. Maybe cut out a peace of white plexi to fit. Forgot what my hinges look like I'll have to check.

Linda S

I thought it'd be easy, but I can't seem to uncover the correct search terms it would seem. (15" 6lug M12 wheel)? 7.25 wide per the C&C website, or is that 6x7.25 the lug pattern not rim width? It doesn't have to match the look necessarily to me, just the fitment specs.

I agree it's interesting that the spare is the dually.  I took some relief in being able to run the single in the event of a flat as you mentioned.

Noted on the ladder mount. I honestly haven't even climbed it yet. 

The propane door is in the original cargo box in the basement. I need to find the seal / gasket that goes around it, since it wasnt included. It was removed to replace the on board tank system but not re-attached. I do at least have the door, but searching for the seal hasnt yielded results. I was guessing I might have to cut and fit a newer oval style hatch. Thoughts?

Not the best pics of the rear; I'll get more. The rear bumper was completely re-welded with a new box bumper. The carrier is plugged into a receiver on one of those pressure mounted "sandwich" deals. 

IMG_4158.JPG

IMG_4177.JPG

No your not going to be able to find the right adapter from the website because it was never made. You need to talk to him. Tell him you have the upgraded rear axle and the 15 inch wheels he so beautifully made but your trying to figure out how the make all the wheels match. Of course you would need to buy 2 more wheels from him. You want an adapter that will go from 

6x5.5 to 6x7.25 the same depth as the other ones he already makes for the Toyota motorhomes. Just different inside lug pattern and lug size.

When you get a chance pull that propane door frame out and show me. Only gasket on mine is on inside door frame and it's not much. 

Linda S

5 minutes ago, linda s said:

No your not going to be able to find the right adapter from the website because it was never made. You need to talk to him. Tell him you have the upgraded rear axle and the 15 inch wheels he so beautifully made but your trying to figure out how the make all the wheels match. Of course you would need to buy 2 more wheels from him. You want an adapter that will go from 

6x5.5 to 6x7.25 the same depth as the other ones he already makes for the Toyota motorhomes. Just different inside lug pattern and lug size.

When you get a chance pull that propane door frame out and show me. Only gasket on mine is on inside door frame and it's not much. 

Linda S

Oh I was reversing course on the single spare, meaning, I was searching for a 2nd spare to match the fronts. I think it might save some expense but add weight.

I wasnt sure exactly what to Google that would work as a spare front wheel. 

Thanks!

On 5/9/2022 at 3:03 PM, linda s said:

Linda S

Pic of the hatch, sans seal as promised. Would love any tips on what to put back around it. 

93F60659-F787-4F24-882F-2A6C9482FA7D.jpeg

769AED43-6DB0-4E70-BAD8-4CD57DC218CB.jpeg

What your missing isn't a seal. It's the frame that attaches to the Sunrader. That's where the lock thing catches on. I can't send you pics of mine for a while. Headed out of town for vacation and not in the Sunrader. I'll show you as soon as I get home

Linda 

Post a picture of the propane tank and the hole for the hatch. There is a universal hatch and frame 7.8"x 12.6" available.

https://www.camperid.com/access-hatches.html

Edited by WME

I'm guessing inside versus outside measurements may allow the one WME posted to work with some trimming. May be worth ordering just to see if it could work. An original might be pretty hard to source.

Plenty of aftermarket options out there. This is off Amazon but google RV access doors for a complete listing.

RecPro RV Baggage Door | Rounded Corners | Camper | Compartment Door | Black Fiberglass (24" W x 12" H) | Made in America https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SXRRBY7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TE7QGNRWSQR3AGVF8H52?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Rec-Pro also makes an 18x10 in white.  Amazon has them also.

6 minutes ago, linda s said:

I only have limited internet access but search oval deck hatch. There is one exactly right shape and different sizes. Think one of them is close to exact

Linda S 

I'm in Puerto Rico 

Thanks! Enjoy that trip!!