Help walking me through my converter issue.

john*thomas

I imagine it's bad but one never knows.........worked great last year. Background.........1987 Nissan Odyssey. Both batteries are charged and holding good charge. When I plug the RV in the light doesn't flash or light up on the converter. #2 fuse (second from left) is blown. Lights that run off the battery don't work. 

Everything else works when the RV is plugged in to shore power (battery lights still do not work that run off the battery). I check the other fuses, all good. I put in a new fuse and nothing. I plug the RV into shore power and the fuse blows. 

Any other info I need I will supply. I have a volt meter. This is my first RV.

The lights will run off the battery the outlets will not, The converter should charge the coach batteries. With the blown fuse what does not work? If the fridge is in DC mode try turning that off.

I will check the fridge BUT it should be off. I'll see that it is completely off DC. To make sure I am clear. The lights above my bed/sofa does not work at all. None of the lights will work without being plugged into shore power. Even then the ones above the sofa/bed do not work. (we have a nice rain shower at the moment)

17 minutes ago, linda s said:

Take another pic a little more to the left. I want to see the rest of that info about the on and the off. Does your charge sentinel light up?

Linda S

No, when I parked it last year it worked perfect. Lights should be working now but they do not. It's almost dark and still pretty wet out so I don't want to plug in at moment to see if fuse blows. I have no reason to believe it won't. 

IMG_20220503_202247454.jpg

Do you know where that circuit goes that keeps blowing the fuse? Im assuming its for the batt only lighting circuit?

Can you move it to another terminal on the panel and see if it pops a different fuse? If it does I would start checking that circuit for faults, see what all is not working and troubleshoot. Also with that circuit unhooked from its terminal, unplug from shore power and see if the unit is supplying voltage out on it open load.

Another suggestion is, depending on the converter model, might have a stuck relay that switches output from converter to batt when on/off shore power. 

See if you can find the model number on your converter and download a manual.

I'm sure there are plenty out there. 

Here is a basic wiring diagram in an 87 Odyssey owners manual

Typical Electrical Diagram.jpg

From here you get out your multimeter and start testing voltage everywhere until you find the problem.

Very possible your converter has died or has some other malfunction

Or maybe you have a rodent problem and someone has been chewing on your wires. 

Linda S

Hey can I jump on this thread and see if anyone has advice . That's my same converter! 1987 Toyota odessey.. everything was working but I'm boondocking and battery started going dead every day within hours.

Took it to be exchanged and realized it was a marine starting battery so I got a deep cycle. 

Went to hook up new one and nothing turned on. I went back out to remove the cut off switch thinking everything's a bit corroded and I'll try direct until I can get lugs and crimp new connections etc. 

So, as I'm going to remove it I accidently.. and I know this is bad! - removed the screw but left neg terminal still attached and went for positive (thinking it was removed!) Sparks everywhere, scary.

So had a rest and then sanded connections and attached them properly. There is voltage at the battery terminals, the wires. I get to the converter and I have no idea what to do. 

I checked around and seems to be no voltage. There is resistance at all the fuses, which I'm thinking means there's a short?

I could be so far off anyway I'm in the dark trying to figure this out and hope someone can enlightened me.

Yes there will be resistance at the fuses to ground. What you need to do is check the voltage at the fuses, the power not plugged in the voltage comes directly from the coach battery. Check the voltage at that battery the fuses should match the battery or pretty close to it. Boon docking running off the coach battery can turn into a big load rather easily light bulbs make better heaters than lamps. Blower motors for the coach heater suck up a lot of power. The fridge on DC is a power hog.

dont overlook the inline fuse on the battery wire under the hood

I have switched to all led lights and have a wood stove so the load is rather light. It's only lights and the water pump. Brand new battery but no voltage at the fuses. I've search all over for a circuit breaker or fuse on the battery wire followed it under the RV to the generator. So I guess I'm not following where it goes to the converter..

There's an online fuse under the hood? I can't make sense of where. I find the battery isolator and that's as far as I get 

Inline fuse good but notlw I have to replace it cause I broke it. 

So, can anyone tell me how in the world the battery powers everything? I'm mean i can trace the wires to the engine and generator but no where else. Shouldnt they lead to the converter at some point?

3 hours ago, Goddesey said:

Sorry to bulldoze the thread john. I'm going to just pay someone to do this I'm so over it. 

No problem. I ended up busy today and will have to check it all later . (Hopefully tomorrow)