Toy Only Swaps swapped my 22RE for the 5VZ-FE in my 18ft Sunrader and it rocks! The swap included a 5 speed transmission and a bunch of other good stuff; and it all fits under the hood. The wiring harness is worth mentioning, its so clean and tight, it looks like it came from the factory. The work and communication was professional. Highly Recommended. 

image.png.b2b214a0125aaec97aca80827c1b59de.png

1 hour ago, mpanzar said:

Toy Only Swaps swapped my 22RE for the 5VZ-FE in my 18ft Sunrader

Thank you for correcting me on the other post about TOS does not do 22RE swaps. Sounds like they now do all models. That looks very professional. Amazing that people like you would still spend $10,000 on their 40 year old rig just on the motor upgrade but it is not a bad investment because you could put a rig like yours on Facebook and sell it for $20,000 to $25,000 probably in one day of listing.

Linda if you contact TOS ask about a 3rz swap. It makes as much power as the 3.0 V-6. It would be a great fit on a Quad Light truck, better MPG and performance.

Of course if a 5vz fitsyour rig, you don't have to use all the power all the time.do you🤔

TOS offers a number of options for the swap. Everything from retrofitting the AC lines to decking the plenum so it fits under the hood. I chose to have most of the seals replaced on the new motor too. Each rig and personality will end up with a different quoted amount, but I think it will be somewhere between 10-15 as of the date of this post. I recommend getting in touch with TOS to get an official number. Justin is the owner and is very straight forward and extremely knowledgeable. He provided a professional quote with every option and the cost for each. From an engineering perspective TOS has the process figured out and its obvious if you get the opportunity to check out the shop. As for emissions, I believe all the California people are in luck because its all transferred over. 

I figured it would be close to that cost. Good to hear it can be approved here in Cal. Was hoping my daughter could help because she is a manager at DMV but seems the smog board is a completely different department. I also would have to make an appointment to have it inspected driving it home because the referee to inspect is in Redding 2 1/2 hours from me. On the way kind of. WME suggested I go with the 3rz engine but TOS doesn't do them and I would have to go with a standard shop. Devil's in the details and not sure if just anyone knows all the details to make it smoggable. Something to think about for sure

Linda S

I don't know much about the 3rz but based on the specs i think the 5vz is a better choice for the application. 

POWER

3RZ: 150 HP at 4,800 rpm

5VZ: 190 HP at 4,800 rpm

TORQUE

3RZ: 159.9 ft·lb at 4,000 rpm

5VZ: 219.6 ft·lb at 3,600 rpm

Not only does the 5VZ have 25% more power, it has 37% more torque at a lower RPM than the 3RZ.

Based on the performance of the sunrader with 190HP under the hood, I think I would be a little disappointed with the performance of the 3RZ towards the top end. As the for the low end torque the 5VZ provides, it really helps these rigs get up to speed and move with authority on forest service roads.

I don't have a ton of data on MPG, but on the last trip i took i think i was getting 14MPG. I was driving in the left lane doing 65 to 70 most of the way. im heading out this weekend and plan to get better data. 

Edited by mpanzar

Sounds all good. I have property to sell before I could even think of it. Taking me forever to rehab one stinking house. My other option for when I'm rich is an Avanti that a friend has. So hard to decide. 

Linda S

The reason for the 3rz suggestion is that is has the same HP as the 3.0L V-6 AND it's a 4 cylinder so you need a smaller shoehorn.

TOS has parts listed for the swap, thought that meant they did the swap.. Oh well.

Extra wowzza

GM introduced a 2.7L 4 cylinder for their pickups. 310 hp, 420 lb ft of torque @ 3000rpm. That should make a 18ft scoot.