1986 Dolphin - new owner, where to start?

Katya

Hey everyone 🙂 I’m the proud new owner of an 86 Dolphin! Got a pretty good deal on it (for my area, anyway), all original components, 70k miles. It needs a few updates like new spark plugs and truck battery, otherwise runs great. The interior needs a bit of love but is clean and looks well cared for. No mouse droppings anywhere, although there were a bunch of traps set up in the cabinets and drawers. I checked around and didn't see any obvious signs of water damage in the ceiling/walls when I bought it, and the last owner told me he had redone the roof at some point…. the ceiling seems solid inside but not so sure about the roof. He claimed he didn’t know of any leaks. 

I brought it to a recommended shop for a full inspection, and then we happened to get rained on for the past few days. Sure enough, the mechanic said there’s a leak in the roof 😅 He’s gonna do more investigating and find the extent of the problem, crossing my fingers it’s minor and just needs some resealing and regular maintenance……. or maybe I should be worried. He also found a rat or mouse nest in the air filter. Also says the belts are bad. 

I’m totally new to the Toyota motor home world, excited to learn and want to do as much as I can in my own. I’d love to hear any words of wisdom for a new owner, things to look for or ask about, experience with leaky roofs, etc. Any help or tips would be so nice. 

thanks y’all, I’m excited for the journey!

Katya 

PS- if I should be posting about this somewhere else, please let me know! 

21 minutes ago, Katya said:

Hey everyone 🙂 I’m the proud new owner of an 86 Dolphin! Got a pretty good deal on it (for my area, anyway), all original components, 70k miles. It needs a few updates like new spark plugs and truck battery, otherwise runs great. The interior needs a bit of love but is clean and looks well cared for. No mouse droppings anywhere, although there were a bunch of traps set up in the cabinets and drawers. I checked around and didn't see any obvious signs of water damage in the ceiling/walls when I bought it, and the last owner told me he had redone the roof at some point…. the ceiling seems solid inside but not so sure about the roof. He claimed he didn’t know of any leaks. 

I brought it to a recommended shop for a full inspection, and then we happened to get rained on for the past few days. Sure enough, the mechanic said there’s a leak in the roof 😅 He’s gonna do more investigating and find the extent of the problem, crossing my fingers it’s minor and just needs some resealing and regular maintenance……. or maybe I should be worried. He also found a rat or mouse nest in the air filter. Also says the belts are bad. 

I’m totally new to the Toyota motor home world, excited to learn and want to do as much as I can in my own. I’d love to hear any words of wisdom for a new owner, things to look for or ask about, experience with leaky roofs, etc. Any help or tips would be so nice. 

thanks y’all, I’m excited for the journey!

Katya 

PS- if I should be posting about this somewhere else, please let me know! 

How about a picture. Does the rear axle have 6 lug nuts?

It's 36 years old so you will always have things to keep up on. Address any leaks when you first see them and you can keep ahead of major damage. It's common to have to replace the seal under your roof A/C if yours has one.