Poor cab AC airflow

Legobusier

Hi all, 

As many of you know, I just got this '85 Sunraider a few weeks ago and have been busy fixing/tweaking, stuff etc.  Everything more-or-less works now.. :)

Along the lines of "less" working is the cab AC.  It seems to cool ok, and runs through all three fan speeds, but air volume is pretty low out of the vents.  It's not terrible, but seems like it should/could be better.  I've run a borescope into the vents/through the fan housing, etc. and don't see any obvious obstructions, but before I started REALLY taking things apart I was hoping for some feedback....perhaps these things are just that way and don't blow very hard.

One of the issues here is obviously one of measurement...I'm not sure how to measure and/or quantify any improvement really, other than just guessing...

I did "clean" the system using a few cans of this stuff....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007PHD0S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure if volume increased much/at all, but it does smell minty fresh!  ha...

Any/all advice appreciated...if these things are just generally weak at blowing that would be good to know.

Thanks guys.

You checked the fan and housing, BUT those are the most common areas of problems. Mice love to build nests there, also the cowl outside air inlet can plug up with leaves and crud.

Next check and see if the dash control levers are moving the flaps they are connected to the full distance. I had a broken clip on a cable and the control flap was only moving about 1/2 of it's designed travel.

Remember the AC was designed to cool a pickup cab, not a house. Many owners hang a curtain in the walk through to reduce the space the AC has to cool.

2 minutes ago, WME said:

You checked the fan and housing, BUT those are the most common areas of problems. Mice love to build nests there, also the cowl outside air inlet can plug up with leaves and crud.

Next check and see if the dash control levers are moving the flaps they are connected to the full distance. I had a broken clip on a cable and the control flap was only moving about 1/2 of it's designed travel.

Remember the AC was designed to cool a pickup cab, not a house. Many owners hang a curtain in the walk through to reduce the space the AC has to cool.

Yes, I will need to double-check all the linkages...I THINK they're all working as designed, and I certainly will do a more thorough inspection of the remainder of the system and evict any resident mice :).

I DO have a heavy vinyl "curtain" to separate the cab from the house, and I'm certain that will help with cooling, but airflow is my major question at the moment.  My uncle had a similar Sunraider and thought this one blew much weaker than his did...hence the question.  I'm just not sure how much of those passageways I can get into without a complete removal of the dash, etc.  I've been in behind the glove box obviously, but will need to dig a bit deeper....